Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 PM
smsnyder51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Info on bullseye shooting?

How does Bullseye 22 shoots work? any videos on them. Since I am old 68 with bad hips I can't run very far. Do they use red dots or open sights for bullseye shooting? How far away are the targets? Thanks
Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/

Every thing you want to know.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:52 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
No running SM, it's a dignified sport engaged in at leisurely pace. We shoot indoors at 50 foot. Any sights, any pistol, with centerfire separated from .22. Offhand using one hand only with a bench in front of you to set your gear on.

If you have a club nearby you should go watch a match and see if it's your cup of tea. Joining a league for a season will definitely tighten up your shooting. Like any competition there is everyone from experts running high dollar hot rod gear to novices shooting stock Ruger Marks, Buckmarks, and Victories.

It's a lot of fun, especially rimfire because you're not worrying about reloading 400 rounds a month to keep up with the weekly course of fire.

Definitely old school shooting

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 07:20 PM
smsnyder51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am kinda old school type of guy at 68. lol
Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB51 View Post

Every thing you want to know.
click on the encyclopedia link first http://www.bullseyepistol.com
Old 08-24-2019, 09:45 AM
cfplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The course of fire is the National Match Course which is 10 shots slow fire in 10 minutes. Then you will walk down and score your neighbors target while he scores yours and replace your target with a time fire target. After you return to the firing line you shoot the timed fire target -- two strings of 5 shots in 20 seconds. Go down, score and put up another timed fire target. Return and shoot again this time it is the rapid fire target which is two strings of 5 shots in 10 seconds. Go down, score, replace with a slow fire target and do it all over again.

There is usually a 3 minute preparation period at the start when you can get ready and load magazines. At the end of the prep period you will be told when you can load your gun. Once the gun is loaded it cannot be aimed at the target until after the "ready on the right" command is given. It will be followed by "ready on the left" and "ready on the firing line". Three seconds later the commence fire command will be given. Many ranges have turning targets which will have the edges toward the firing line during these commands. You will commence firing when you see the face (bullseye) of the target. At the end of the period (10 minutes, 20 seconds, or 10 seconds) The targets will edge again and you will cease fire, remove the magazine, lock the slide back and pun an empty chamber indicator in the pistol. After everyone has done this the Range Officer will tell you when you can go downrange to score and repair targets.

The league I shoot in has the first week as sign-up and practice. This gives new shooters an opportunity to get familiar with all of the range commands, meet some of the other shooters, get sighted in, and ask questions. Now this league shoots at 25 yards rather than the 50 feet mentioned in the earlier post. At the end of the league there is an awards night where cash awards are given out, and pizza, beer, and pop are served. NOTE the range is closed to all shooting that night.

Join a league and have fun.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM
ROD BROWN
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well written! Rod
Old 08-24-2019, 10:54 AM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
" Join a League and have fun " no better advice period. Almost without exception you're going to meet us old guys who have been in the game for a long time. Most of us want to see fresh blood and participants on the line - no matter what age. There is no better place to watch, experience and ask questions than at a match especially after the targets are scored and shooters are relaxed. Of course the decorum of match competition demands respect of the rules and not interfering with the shooters, but afterwards ( not before ) you can tap the collective for all it's worth. They will be happy and grateful for the opportunity to help you.

I recall several world class competitors like Don Hamilton, Don Nygord and others explaining that though it's called a sport it's really a mental discipline more than anything but only after you get the fundamentals down and your equipment set up.

Good luck
Rick
Old 08-24-2019, 11:41 AM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Along with the excellent advice above, if your a smartphone person, there’s a bullseye app that calls out range commands. Great for practice!
This may also help:
http://http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_Un_Pistol_Train_Guide.pdf
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Scott860

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsnyder51 View Post
How does Bullseye 22 shoots work? any videos on them. Since I am old 68 with bad hips I can't run very far. Do they use red dots or open sights for bullseye shooting? How far away are the targets? Thanks

My wife and I shoot in two bullseye leagues that are exclusively .22.

There is a summer league and a winter league and shooters are assigned to teams that compete against each other.

The summer league is a “farm event” used to introduce new shooters to the sport and give existing shooters practice over the summer for the slightly more serious winter league. The summer league provides guns and ammo to those who are are new to bullseye and shooting in general. Many of our summer shooters had never fired a gun before they joined the league. We provide training and coaches to get them started.

Both leagues use the same course of fire, 30 rounds at 50 feet as follows:

Slow Fire: 10 rounds slow fire in 10 minutes. NRA B-2 target.

Timed Fire: two strings of five rounds, 20 seconds for each string. NRA B-3 target.

Rapid Fire: two strings of five rounds, 10 seconds for each string. Also B-3 target.

Reps from each team score the targets.

You can print examples of these targets online for free. Just make sure to turn off “fit to page” on your printer so they print to the correct size.

All are done one handed. Semi auto or revolver permitted (although I have only seen one person use a revolver in the six years I have been doing this). Open sights or non-magnified red dot. The vast majority use red dots and of the tubular kind. Look up the Ultradot Matchdot line of red dots. These are what most folks I know use.

Most folks start with an inexpensive target .22 like the Ruger Mark 1/2/3/4 series, Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory, to name a few. You can move up to “better” ones later, but no need to go expensive to start and shoot well. Plenty of people with cheaper guns kick my butt on a regular basis

The team format of the leagues is great because there are typically at least ten shooters on a team, but only the top five are added together for the team’s score for the match. So new shooters don’t feel pressured to shoot great right from the start. My teams have members of all abilities, including aging shooters who physically are not able to shoot as well anymore but still enjoy the smell of burnt powder and the camaraderie. The rules even have provisions for wheelchair-bound shooters and those who physically are unable to shoot one handed.

It’s all about having fun, doing the best you can, and developing as far as your time, desire, and natural ability can take you.

My wife is not a gun lover. When she started in this league, she had only fired a gun once before in her life. And she was pretty ambivalent about that experience. A coworker of hers that shoots in the leagues with me badgered her into trying it and she got hooked. She loved the precision and intense mental focus required. We know own his and hers S&W Model 41s with Ultradot Matchdot II red dots and shoot twice a week together: one match and one practice session.

I can’t recommend the sport enough. Great fun and friendships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Gus1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started last fall at age 61 and found I have to have a Red Dot for the inside shooting. Outside in good light I can still use open sights.

I recently saw an ad in gun magazine for a rifle scope with a Red Circle instead of Dot.

Without magnification would these be legal for Bullseye Pistol?

Anybody seen anything like this for a pistol? Or have an idea how to modify an existing Red Dot?

I use a Sightron long tube Red Dot.

TY
Old 09-02-2019, 07:03 PM
jglenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bullseye

scopes are legal for BE usually you want only a 1X as they bounce around a lot like the dots.

seems like the Sightron 33 has a option for a circle over a dot if memory serves.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:56 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This might have been mentioned, but all the bullseye competitions I have been to, as well as the nationals) are held outdoors. Perhaps more significant is the slow fire Is at 50 yards (not 50’) and the timed and rapid fire is 25 yards. I believed the 50’ distances mentioned are mandated by indoor ranges, and use appropriately smaller targets. Not at all suggesting it is easier to score better, but at least Ed easier to hit the target (50 yards one handed can be intimidating. I started at 68, and it’s a great way to get to shooting better, and perhaps appreciating the difficulty. A very good forum focused on this is the bullseyeL forum.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 AM
Mike40X
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Could someone clarify the provisions for those who are unable to shoot one handed? I only ask because my father, who is now 85, still shoots bullseye competitions with me and he's having an awful time keeping one hand steady. He's on the cusp of not wanting to shoot anymore because it's becoming difficult to keep it on paper, yet his desire to shoot and belonging to the team keeps him going. This provision interests me for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott860 View Post
The rules even have provisions for wheelchair-bound shooters and those who physically are unable to shoot one handed.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 AM
jglenn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shooting two handed

simply talk with your Match director about your Dad.. I'm sure they will accommodate you.. We certainly would at our matches.