Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 PM
twister1969
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Problems with Performance Center T/CR22

Hi, my name is Dave, new to this website, long time lurker. I recently purchased this rifle from my LGS, took it home and cleaned it before I took it to the range. I ran a patch through it prior to shooting and noticed that there were three places where the patch would slightly bind in the barrel. When I shot it at the range from a rest, my groups were .5 inch at 25 yds. I also shoot a CZ 457, and the groups from that gun are half the size of the Thompson. Am I expecting to much from the T/CR? I would appreciate any tips or help you might have on this, thanks.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One range visit does not an accurate assessment make. First, an autoloader shoots differently than a bolt action. Not to assume anything, give yourself a chance to grow into it. Try different ammo, CCI Standard Velocity is a great place to begin. In fact any sort of SV ammo is a good starting place.

My rifles are festooned with notes written on painters tape, things such as scope settings and ammo preferences. I used to keep a notebook with that information in it but constantly forgot it on subsequent range trips.

Give the rifle another try with different ammo and see what you get!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be concerned about the bad spots during inital cleaning. I would try a brush and solvent. If you had a bore scope, it would merit a look. You could look by naked eye with a light.

As far as I am concerned the so-called performance center at Smith Wesson (aka TC) is all marketing baloney. It is simply another assembly line and they have the occasional lemon same as any one else. I got one(lemon) and it was a shock to pay up for a new revolver, so-called custom no less, and find it out of time.

Yes, I agree, do not give up. On the other hand if there is an issue with the barrel dont accept that either. A cz may well shoot better than a TC, that I dont know. CZ is very well respected. A 1/2 inch 5 shot group at 50 yards with the best ammo is good for a cz or any one. So at 25 yards expect 1/2 that. If the TC was a little worse, that would not surprise me. Double would be a disappointment. Ammo matters, at the least, you could try cci std velocity.

And there should no rough spots on a new, supposed good quality rifle like TC. I did not know what the T/CR was. I did a google. Interesting they copied the Ruger. That is a new gun and new to me. Did you find any reviews? You are comparing a semi auto with one of the best bolt actions for money out there. On the other hand my old weatherby XXII is a semi auto and it will shoot along side my CZ bolt action rifles. With a semi, you also have to worry about feeding.

Last edited by fourbore; 09-18-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go shoot it some more. Nothing to worry about yet. As stated 1022s move different than 457s, you , the shooter need to adapt to the difference. Locked breach vs blowback.

I find that on a CZ the less I touch the gun the better it shoots, my trigger hand thumb is pointing forward along the stock and my index finger is the the only other contact, or I squeeze the the trigger with my thumb on the back of the trigger gaurd.

on a 1022 my ring finger on my trigger hand is pressed firmly upwards on the stock and my thumb is on the top of the stock, but not over it.

The tight spots in your barrel could be nothing more than the patch binding up from the rotation of the rifling.

40 grain SV ammo, thatís the ticket. Aguila SV, CCI SV, Wolf SV, RWS SV, SK SV, Ely SV, Lapua SV. The more you pay the better they play.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM
twister1969
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the replies. I tried 4 different type standard velocity ammo, CCI being one of them. I did read an article in a magazine about this rifle, and decided to try one out. I thought with it being a 10-22 copy, whatever I didn't like about it could be easily remedied. I mentioned the CZ rifle only to let you know that I have shot other rifles. I did clean the rifle before the range visit with a couple different solvents. Again, I do appreciate all the help, Dave.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My T/C R22 is my second worst shooting gun to date, only losing the last place honor to my old Weatherby Mark XXII semi-auto (Italian). It has about 300 rounds through it, so I'm hoping it will improve, but for all the nice features it has, I expected better out of the box. My stock 10/22 carbine, albeit with a Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job, almost always outshoots it, regardless of ammo type. I love the light weight and upgraded factory components, but don't like the factory trigger. It is possible that I simply haven't dialed in a better technique for shooting such a light rifle in that particular plastic stock yet. I didn't expect it to shoot as well as my CZs and a few other rifles, and it doesn't. I did expect it to outshoot my 10/22, and it doesn't.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, sounds like you've checked off some of the variables here. (Ammo etc) I don't think the "loose" feeling spots amount to much. I have bulged barrel .22's that shoot lights out.

I'd take the most consistent ammo and mess with the action screw torque. Finger tight plus 1/2 a turn or 10-12 inch lbs. Check the scope mounts etc just keep dialing it down a bit more so if you do send it back to T/C they will have a place to start.

Keep working!

Oh and apologies! Welcome to RFC!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM
twister1969
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I messed with the action torque screws a little bit, I only changed the setting by 2 lbs, I'll try changing it more. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:02 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
It might be worth a shot to open up a case with the S&W support center and see what they have to say. I didn't see anything on the website about any accuracy expectations . . . but would expect better than that from a PC product.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have the Performance Center TCR22, with Altamont wood stock, and I agree that it is not a match target rifle that your CZ 457 could be. BUT, it should do better than 1/2 inch at 25 yards. I believe even a 22lr barrel goes through a break in
process, and of course better ammo will produce better results.
My rifle is only a few months old, and I’ve so far gotten good accuracy from a hunting perspective, but I also shoot NRL22 competition open class and shoot a CZ 455 Varmint that shoots better than I can. I would like to try the tcr22 for that but I am not yet confident enough to try it. I continue to work with it which is what I did with my CZ that suddenly started shooting lights out with Eley ammo when I finally coughed up the money.

I would be very concerned if the tight spots continue and accuracy just will not improve. Those spots could just be rough machine marks that will smooth out with more shooting.

Last edited by Dobeardsley; 09-19-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added one more point to consider
Old 10-01-2019, 06:00 AM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've been considering the Performance Center TCR22.
There are 2 versions: Altamont laminated stock with blued barrel & Hogue stock with stainless barrel.

I think they made a marketing error in these offerings. The stocks and/or barrels should be swapped. The Altamont stock would look better with the stainless barrel & the Hogue stock would look better with the blued barrel.

Maybe this was S&W's way of getting the 2 versions closer in price?

In the current configuration, the Hogue stock version is $100 less than the Altamont stock version.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1
Old 10-17-2019, 04:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
75% (11)
I bought the Altamont stocked one I havent scoped or shot & have the original plastic stocked one which goes great. I don't want any rifle 1 cant make shoot 1moa or less.You can buy a borescope for $50 on Amazon & check out the barrell. Right now it's 49.99 with 5%off & getting great reviews.
The impressive Teslong digital borescope offers capabilities that rival optical systems costing $700 or more. This compact, electro-optical, cable-type borescope outputs sharp, high-resolution images and VIDEO to desktop computers, laptops, as well as Android tablets and smartphones. Check out our Full Teslong Review complete with inside-the-barrel videos. At $50.99 this is a great value. NOTE: This unit does NOT currently work with iPhones and iPads.