NEW Anschutz Match 54.30 ...The Evolution - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I called a vendor today and evidently the action should be available late this year in the US. I have been looking at getting a barreled action/rifle as my prone rifles are built around Winchester 52 actions which I love, but when I have problems with my Kenyon triggers where do you go?

The last month has been fascinating and most likely I will go with Anschutz especially with this new action coming out later this year. I say that as my experience with other manufacturers has been:

- G&E US - Called US dealer three times and sent three e-mails as requested - No response
- G&E Europe - Sent e-mail to Sales Director and their general e-mail address - No response
- Blieker - Called US dealer (Pardini) several times and no one was at the office. Called again and message was to call another number if they were not there - No answer at that number either

On the other hand I have e-mailed Anschutz with questions and within days I get a response. It may not have "locking lugs" and a host of other doo dads, but it is a nice well thought out improvement to the 54 series action. I am sure that if Karl Kenyon were still alive he would have chuckled to see that they intend to thread their action much as he starting doing many years ago.

It is certainly hard to argue with success!

Bill
Old 04-14-2015, 09:00 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawsix View Post
The threaded barrel is very unique. I wonder why the break in the threading? That is what caught my eye. Also curious as to the barrel thread/pitch and if the barrel section of the action was increased or decreased? If the ID wasn't changed, then does that open the door for threading of actions when aftermarket tubes are put on? Also due to the shiny look...did they change the action metal?
The unthreaded area is probably relief for the front action screw...just guessing.

TBR
Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Bob Smalser
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4 View Post
Interesting. Inspecting the picture I can't tell if it has extractor cuts or not (I'm pretty sure this picture doesn't show any). The breach isn't shaped to facilitate extraction.
What am I missing?
I'm wondering if the receiver has an insert that serves as the breach face ala the Bleiker. Supposedly to improve consistency in barrel harmonics by not having the bolt face touching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cone breech equivalent? Unscrew, headspace, swap barrels. Great looking outfit.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 AM
C. Opalewski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Baugher View Post
or just fiberglass make to look like it... and round action? still? Definitely function over form (and beauty... just why is walnut and blued steel so passe? )
It's aluminum. It is their Precise 3P stock. Just colored brown instead of the usual shiny chrome finish. They've also made them in blue, orange, and black.

Wood stocks are still available to buy but they are quickly falling out of favor among position shooters due to a lack of adjustment compared to the aluminum stocks. Some prone shooters and die-hards still use them and prefer them but their number is getting smaller every day.

Charlie
Old 04-15-2015, 03:25 AM
Tasman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawsix View Post
The threaded barrel is very unique. I wonder why the break in the threading? That is what caught my eye.
There could be a couple of reasons for it. What comes to my mind as an engineer is that the two thread starts could be slightly offset so as to preload the threads and produce an optimum stress distribution in the receiver ring and barrel shank. But TBR is probably right about the front action screw clearance.

Last edited by Tasman; 04-15-2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:08 AM
obx22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guess we know why the old style barreled actions are being sold off, looks like they're tests are proving this new action superior, and they are going "all in".
Kind of funny how the long front receiver ring flies in the face of the beliefs and claims of a well known gunsmith. Myself, I like it, it's starting to closely resemble my Diana 820S action.
Can't wait to see one on the lines.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:14 AM
BigAl113

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obx22 View Post
Guess we know why the old style barreled actions are being sold off, looks like they're tests are proving this new action superior, and they are going "all in".
Kind of funny how the long front receiver ring flies in the face of the beliefs and claims of a well known gunsmith. Myself, I like it, it's starting to closely resemble my Diana 820S action.
Can't wait to see one on the lines.
Well if it is to drop into existing stocks you don't really have any other option than to have the long front ring. I don't have an action on hand to measure up, but I do have a round to square action adapter. On that measuring from the back of the adapter the rear of the rear bedding bolt hole is 1.36" So that's at least that far from the trigger unit. To the rear of the front bedding bolt hole is 4.67" that effectively fixes the length of the action. Actually if you want the rifle to look nice in existing stock you would want to keep the OAL of the action the same, I think the front bedding bolt is just about as far forwards on the action as you would want it to be even if you could shorten the front of the action a bit. I just wonder how they will fix the loading ramp in place, the current system on the round actions will not work as the stock inletting would need changing.

I guess the other alternative, a shorter action OAL to go with the shorter bolt throw, which would require a third inletting option for stocks was a move too far.

I also see that they seem to have used a variant of the slimmer 660mm xx07 barrel, I hope there will be some different weight/length options to go with the new action. I would love to see them do the slim profile in a 500mm length with extension tube. Even the heavy profile in that length would be good, I think they offered it on the early 2013's when the square action was first introduced. I know the BR version has the 500mm length.

Alan
Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
mr alexander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
NEW Anschutz Match 54.30...The Evolution

Please forgive my ignorance, but I noticed one thing. The receiver is grooved. But, I do not see the four drilled and tapped holes in it that would allow the attachment of a scope

base/rail. Any particular reason for this? Just curious, thanks.

Last edited by mr alexander; 12-12-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM
willymakit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kelbly scope rings, any height needed
willy
Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I'm sure everyone else also noticed the markedly smaller loading/ejection port on the new action...probably another rigidity thing, but I don't understand the above comment about shorter bolt throw. Since the .22 LR round requires a specific minimum amount of fore-and-aft movement to load and extract, I don't see how the new action's throw could be significantly shorter, unless the old action was overly long from the start...am I missing something? I would also be very interested in the new match chamber dimensions and the research behind its development.

TBR
Old 04-15-2015, 03:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The old loading port was slightly longer than a live cartridge, so I can see that it could be trimmed a little without losing the ability to eject an unfired round.

Bob's comment on the throw may actually have meant a shorter reach to load. The Match 54 bolt is probably the longest of the current match rifles. A shorter bolt would make loading in position much easier, and in some cases actually possible, for petite and junior 3-P shooters.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Rearward loading port

Eric Uptagrafs action has gotten attention for just this reason (among others) in that the port is more readily loaded from prone.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:02 PM
750k2
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
This might hurt
Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 AM
steve b.

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Pretty cool huh...?!