Old 09-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Brad737
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interested in trying an old Mossberg...

Hello all,

My father-in-law has an old Mossberg 152 that he just loves to pieces. He's had it since he was young, and over the years, he removed the peep sight, so he could add a scope. He also misplaced the fold-down grip. For Birthday and Christmas presents, I was able to track down an original peep sight, as well as a nice stock, with the fore grip still installed.

Which brings me to my point. In searching for parts for him, I read a bit about the old Mossberg bolt action .22s...most especially the lead-lapped barrels, and the unusual accuracy. I must admit that being the right-wing gun nut I am, I'd like to add a nice Mossberg .22 to my collection. I'm not really very familiar with the different models at all, other than the 152 and 152K. I'd prefer a peep sight, and also magazine-fed vs. single shot. And I don't know if any models are known for having better triggers than others. Lastly, I don't want to spend a fortune.

If you were to recommend a nice Mossberg model, which models would be a good introduction for me? Approximate price ranges?

Many thanks,
Brad
Old 09-28-2015, 08:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Hello Brad and welcome to the Mossberg side, there are plenty to choose from. It just depends on what you will use it for. Hunting or target, here is our go to site for mossbergs. Plent of reading to keep you busy.
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html
Old 09-28-2015, 09:03 PM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Brad, I don't know where you are located? But I do have some ideas for you!
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Wink

You need to go to this site and review the different models--semi-auto and bolt styles:
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

also: http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php

Some rifles are more difficult to acquire than others, you will learn this as you search. lead lapped don't know about that but most all Mossbergs are very accurate!
Good luck in your search and welcome to the site!!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Here is my 142A with a Weaver K7-1 scope. It is a nice shooter and I tried to put a scope on that would compliment the style fairly well.

I have it sighted in at 25 and 50yd for squirrel hunting with the gun weighing right at 6 lbs as is. Zeroed with CCI Mini Mags.
[URL=http://s429.photobucket.com/user/glenng1982/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150928_203230837_zpsh0yagayf.jpg.html]
Actually moved it left a few clicks and put a little tighter group right on the line.

I really like this little gun, I dont think you can complain about a $150 set up. I actually have $100 in the gun and $40 in the scope and rings. Probably would be difficult to do that again but I have my eye on a Semi auto 151 for $150 and just picked up a K4 Weaver that would go well on it for $20. $170 total if it shoots decent would be a nice squirrel getter or plinker. They are out there.
Good Luck
Glenn
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
These old Mossberg builders were good barrel makers!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 PM
BrutlStrudl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you want a trigger that breaks clean that's adjustable for weight, look to the bolt guns in the 100 series. The 140's numbered guns I've tried were outstanding. The semi autos I've tried are nice but on the spongy side. All were accurate.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:51 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
...most especially the lead-lapped barrels...
Hi Brad, Welcome to RFC! I'd be interested in hearing/reading more about the lead-lapped barrels. I think I remember someone else mentioning this a while back. Not sure if it was here or someplace else. I have to be honest, at the price point that these rifles were sold at I'd find it hard to believe that Mossberg could justify the time and expense of lapping their barrels. I have to wonder if someone is confusing Mossberg's AC-KRO-GRUV button rifling with lead lapping.

I do know this, Mossberg .22 rifles in any configuration are generally good shooters. My first rifle was a used 146b and my second was a 144. Both were excellent shooters. I sold those to "upgrade" to Remingtons and Winchesters. In hindsight I wish I would've hung on to those two. I do still have a 152K that I rescued and an early 400 Palomino that I bought right. These too are really good shooters for a semi-auto and lever gun.

Good luck in your hunt for a Mossberg. There's a lot of different flavors out there. I'm sure you'll find something that trips your trigger.

Last edited by PWNolan; 09-28-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM
melohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking What Mossberg to buy

Hello, IF it is in good shape, buy the first one you find, clean it up and shoot it. Then you will want another one. Before long you will have a bunch and you won't have to worry about which one to buy you'll only have to worry about which one to shoot. That's what happened to me, But it is a pleasant sickness. Jim
Old 09-29-2015, 12:08 PM
lornedavis
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

central MI., the house with the rifle range out back!
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
In regard to "lead lapped barrels". I once asked Vic about this and he said one of the Moss. sons mentioned in a casual conversation that Moss. did lead lap barrels. However I do not know details and Vic did not seem to know either. Was it all rifles? just target rifles? when was it done?
I have been unable to find reference to it in Vic's book and there is no mention in any of Moss. catalogs or ads, that I have seen.
If they really did do it (which I highly doubt) they would have used such info in ads and catalogs. All they seem to mention is "precision rifled and crowned", even the target rifles. Now I have not gone beyond early 1950's in this research. I did look at ads and 'More Gun' at the 144 series and no mention of lapping those either.

Last edited by lornedavis; 09-29-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 PM
torpedoman
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
you can still find some real nice mossbergs in hock shops and they are usually under-valued at around 100 bucks at least in my area
Old 09-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Flash92
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No factual proof, but have been told by a dearly departed old timer that barrels were lead lapped up until about the 1950 Mark - he was right about everything else he told me so far.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 PM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
i got bit by the mossberg bug when i stumbled across an old 44 us and it went from there. I went from the 44 to a 144, model 51 and 151 but I have since pared down my collection somewhat, have to say my favorite so far is the 46m. I have one thats super accurate and the adj trigger let me get down to 2lbs which was perfect for me. There is just something so old school about these guns...a lot of the 22's todays feel like toys where these feel like rifles.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Marines
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brad

My uncle had a 44/46(?),not sure; tube feed bolt action with a Mossberg 4x scope that I have shot more than once. Shot really good considering what it cost when new in the 30's. Blasted thing weighed as much as my Rem.700 30/06. My brother got it & I wish I had gotten it,beautiful wood,action etc. Shot really well.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
97% (32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines View Post
My uncle had a 44/46(?),not sure; tube feed bolt action with a Mossberg 4x scope that I have shot more than once. Shot really good considering what it cost when new in the 30's. Blasted thing weighed as much as my Rem.700 30/06. My brother got it & I wish I had gotten it,beautiful wood,action etc. Shot really well.
The 44 series was box magazine, the 46 series is the tube fed one. I have a 46B, that was my dads as a boy.