Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM
biggrizzly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hammer Bushing for drop free mags?

I just bought a BAM hammer bushing for all the great reasons I have read about on this forum. My MKiii Hunter is brand new and never been fired. I have owned three other MKi &iis over the years and know them pretty well but I'm a bit confused on the MKiii and what I should expect for the magazine improvements.

My new Hunter will drop the magazines free when I press the Mag release already. Is that unusual. So I ask myself, why replace the bushing if the factory configuration is dropping the magazines just fine now? (Other than the other benefits of the new bushing aside)

So, do other MKiii guns NOT drop the magazines free? can someone explain what I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
You should've bought a Mark II, they're much better guns and don't have all the problems that the Mark III series does.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM
biggrizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was most helpful, Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM
threescrew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a 1 year old Hunter and all the mag would do is unlatch, you had to pull it out . Sam’s bushing fixed that. The bushing also seemed to help the trigger. Seems all Mark IIIs are not created equal these days. Try yours if you don’t like it’s no big deal to take it back out.

Last edited by threescrew; 12-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM
biggrizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply. I figure that I'll try it and see what it does for me. But I swear I haven't touched this gun except break it down a few times and rack the slide to seat things a bit better. When I hit the mag release the mags drop out free and clear. Perhaps after firing and fouling they will stick. I'll have to take it to the range and see how it does.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Nocturnalb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also recently got a new Hunter; late production; left the factory in this November. I too was surprised after reading the threads about “ sticky Mags” as mine dropped out without having to pull on it. Perhaps Ruger tweaked something a bit? Having said that, I just replaced the Bushing (Bam) and now instead of dropping, they Fly out. I could have lived without the bushing replacement, but I have to say I’m glad I did it, just so I don’t have to do the Mag tango every time I strip it. Also, the new bushing is actually a more of a precision fit. I will also add, some complained about poor internal tooling with later models Mark IIIs; Mine was quite good actually- - Good luck
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
biggrizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnalb View Post
I also recently got a new Hunter; late production; left the factory in this November. I too was surprised after reading the threads about “ sticky Mags” as mine dropped out without having to pull on it. Perhaps Ruger tweaked something a bit? Having said that, I just replaced the Bushing (Bam) and now instead of dropping, they Fly out. I could have lived without the bushing replacement, but I have to say I’m glad I did it, just so I don’t have to do the Mag tango every time I strip it. Also, the new bushing is actually a more of a precision fit. I will also add, some complained about poor internal tooling with later models Mark IIIs; Mine was quite good actually- - Good luck
Exactly! Thanks, now I know I'm not just sniffing glue. I will install it for the other benefits identified and be happy. I was just curious because of the claims of sticky mags.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
bigal1000

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrizzly View Post
I just bought a BAM hammer bushing for all the great reasons I have read about on this forum. My MKiii Hunter is brand new and never been fired. I have owned three other MKi &iis over the years and know them pretty well but I'm a bit confused on the MKiii and what I should expect for the magazine improvements.

My new Hunter will drop the magazines free when I press the Mag release already. Is that unusual. So I ask myself, why replace the bushing if the factory configuration is dropping the magazines just fine now? (Other than the other benefits of the new bushing aside)

So, do other MKiii guns NOT drop the magazines free? can someone explain what I'm missing?

Thanks
As others have stated It eliminates the mag disconnect parts and then its more like a MKII disassembly and reassemmbly,you don't have to keep putting a magazine in and out,thats why I did it my mags were also coming out ok.I have a late model too Sept 2012

Last edited by bigal1000; 12-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM
targetshooter22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
List of benefits (may not all apply to you):
1. No longer necessary to have a magazine in the gun to "dry fire" the gun.
2. Easier to take down and put back together.
3. Improved trigger feel/pull.
4. Eliminates the major jam that happens if a magazine is inserted backwards.
5. Magazines eject faster/easier/better.
6. Improves installers familiarity with the gun.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Robhic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Targetshooter22 pretty much got it. Those reasons are the ones most cite as being why the mag disconnect must go! Your mags dropping seem to be a recent "fix" that possibly Ruger got right.

Seems almost everyone starting a few years ago had problems with the mags dropping. I, myself, had 3 Rugers (Target, Hunter and Standard) that would NOT drop the mags and they needed (in one) to be pried out with a small screwdriver!

But more and more, lately, it seems folks aren't having this issue. Hopefully Ruger picked up on this problem and addressed it. That's my opinion.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones. Remove the bushing at your leisure.

NRA Patron Member

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”

- Gen. Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 AM
biggrizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies all. Also, not sure how this got double posted as I don't think I fat fingered the submit button. My apologies.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM
biggrizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed the bushing tonight. Very easy mod. It indeed did make a slight noticeable differences in the trigger and the mags now still drop free but do seem to release with a bit more vigor than before. Definitely worth the effort. Next I'll get into doing some VQ mods.