Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:06 PM
kyrifleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
1911 rimfires

Is it a general rule of thumb that 1911 rimfires tend to jam? The old Colt Ace was pretty accurate, but Mike Venturino's article on it in Shooting Times said that it's a jam-o-matic. Someone in the Kimber forum said thet their Kimber 1911 rimfire starts jamming after 100-200 rounds.

Is the 1911 just not the best choice for a high-end .22 pistol? Or should the Kimber slicken up enough so you can get a few hundred more rounds through it before it starts jamming?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
I've been shooting a Colt Conversion unit (same as the Ace) for over 25 years, and it jams no more than any of my other .22 automatics (rifle or pistol) and less than most of them. I consider it very reliable. It will routinely go 500-700 rounds before needing cleaning, and even then it's still shooting, just the chamber freezes up and it doesn't "recoil" any more. Lovely gun.

Last year I bought a Ciener .22 Commander conversion (similar if not identical to the Kimber) and it gave me all kinds of trouble for the first 200-300 rounds. After that it smoothed right out and prolly went something like 3000 rounds before I tore it down for a major cleaning. (My kid did most of the shooting.) I also consider IT to be very reliable, now. I just bought one of their brand-new Browning HP conversions and can't wait to try it (MUCH too windy and nasty here this weekend).

Shooting Times said something bad about anything? Oh wait, it's not in production anymore, so I guess it's fair game. I learned not to believe anything I read there after Skeeter Skelton died.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 PM
Geezer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Snake45,
I've got one of those old conversion units too. When yours freezes up, is the problem with lead or combustion products? Mine only froze once; I shot some Winchester Wildcat ammo in it and had severe leading in between the floating chamber and the barrel.
That was the only time I ever had to use pliers to disassemble a firearm, and it really torqued my jaws.
That was a one-time event; never had any other problems with it.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I had that happen once with some real crummy Argentine ammo called Concorde. Awful stuff that leaded up everything. I mainly shoot copper washed stuff now, like the Fed bulks. The gunk in it is combustion byproducts, not lead.

I'm actually shooting the Ciener more now, as it's more accurate. When I tore it down for cleaning, I was amazed at how dirty it WASN'T!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Robbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Ciener conversion kit on a Colt Series 80. Fairly accurate, but it does tend to jam on feeding a bit if you use regular velocity .22s. To be fair, I only have about 200 rounds through it, but with spring coming on I hope to change that!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:44 PM
kyrifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What about the Kimber 1911 rimfire? Has anybody else had one start jamming with only a couple hundred rounds through it? I'd love to buy one, but if I have to clean it every 200 rounds, I'll stick with the CZ Kadet.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:29 PM
flip_ohio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to flip_ohio
Mine has been reliable after the inital couple hundred rounds as long as i use high velocity ammo. The other day i did try using dynapoints and i only had a couple jams so its starting to break in now. Im going to gues i have close to a 1000 rounds through it at this point.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:49 PM
38super

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Colt Ace Owners:

Get a couple spare floating chambers, Hi Vel ammo or incorrect recoil springs will break the tab off.

If you have sufficient talent and machinery equipment, a very nice floating chamber can be made. Making one takes a little time, finding the right material and heat treat - SUX.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:37 PM
kyrifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Flip_ohio, is the trigger on yours adjustable? If it is, what's it adjustable for?(Creep, overtravel, weight, etc.)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrifleman
Flip_ohio, is the trigger on yours adjustable? If it is, what's it adjustable for?(Creep, overtravel, weight, etc.)
If there's an Allen screw in the face of the trigger, that's overtravel adjustment. It engages the front of the mag catch. Smart 1911 operators adjust it to where it will just let go, then back it out a half-turn to allow for the possibility of any dirt getting in there. And then either loctite it or keep an eye on it.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Marvel conversion is very reliable, and probably the most accurate pistol I own.............chim
Old 04-10-2004, 12:27 PM
kyrifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Does anybody know if a Colt Ace magazine will reliably work in a Kimber rimfire 1911?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrifleman
Does anybody know if a Colt Ace magazine will reliably work in a Kimber rimfire 1911?
Ciener specifically forbids this, and as the Kimber seems to be pretty much a Ciener clone (Ciener actually built the Kimbers for a while), I would guess NOT.

I don't know if it will feed or even go in the gun with the Ciener/Kimber unit on it, but I can tell you one thing: The Colt Ace mag locks the slide back, and the Ciener/Kimber doesn't. This is because the Ciener/Kimber slides are made of aluminum and are NOT hardened in the area of the slide stop notch, which 1911 slides have to be to take the battering of the slide locking open. Ciener mags are only about $35, which isn't bad by today's standards.

If you have a spare Ace mag you have no use for, I'd be happy to make you a fair offer on it.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:14 PM
kyrifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well Snake, I don't have any Ace magazines. I wanted to know if an Ace magazine would work in a Kimber because I don't particularly care for spending over $600 on a pistol and getting one plastic magazine. Is the Ciener magazine made of metal?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a roger, KY, the Ciener mags are metal--seem to be cast aluminum, maybe. Seem to be very sturdy, too. So far I have had NO failure to feed problems with either my Ciener Colt or my brand-new Ciener P.35 conversions. I'm very pleased with both.

If you already have a 1911, why buy a $600 Kimber, which has an aluminum frame and is thus MUCH lighter than any 1911 variant ever made, including the Commander? Get a Ciener for $200--$250 if you want target sights--and put it on a STEEL frame gun. This feels MUCH more "normal." A 24-ounce full-size 1911 feels like an airsoft gun. Unless you're going for real light weight, like for a trail gun or something. Just my nickel's worth--I'm here to help.