Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 PM
matto6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Off to a bad start with my new buckmark

I just bought a new Buckmark UFX Camper. I decided to try to disassemble to clean it well before shooting.

The rear sight base screw would not budge. I read that Browning used loctite. I tried heat and it didn't help. So I applied a little "uncure" for about 5 minutes. Wiped it off to discover it removed the paint from around the screw. Sigh. (I'd attach a picture but tapatalk doesn't seem to want to let me. It looks like a silver ring around the screw head)

Why does Browning glue these things together? Am I seriously not supposed to ever remove the slide?

Last edited by FlysAlot; 10-20-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: took out the cursing%%%%
Old 10-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear about your new gun, think we've all been there at one time or another. I can assure you, in a while this will all be forgotten, as you'll be enjoying your gun

Why these manufactures say that guns shouldn't be dissasembled? I don't know what type of koolaid they're drinking, but they all get dirty, especially .22s

Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff...........
Old 10-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's difficult to respond without being snarky. That is NOT my intention. I suppose Browning used Loctite because they didn't want the part to move. This is a long proven design and I think they've got it right.
That being said, the owners manual is pretty clear about what to do (and not do) before shooting the Buckmark. Why would you take the sight off?

THIS IS A SPECIALIZED, FINELY FITTED MECHANISM. DO NOT TAKE YOUR FIREARMíS ACTION APART BEYOND WHAT IS EXPLAINED IN THIS OWNERíS MANUAL. IT IS UNNECESSARY, AND MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE THE INNER MECHANISM OR RENDER THE FIREARM UNSAFE TO DISASSEMBLE IT FOR ROUTINE CLEANING AND OILING. OF COURSE, MISFORTUNES (SUCH AS DROPPING YOUR GUN IN WATER) REQUIRE APPROPRIATE ATTENTION, AND IN SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES WE RECOMMEND YOU IMMEDIATELY TAKE YOUR FIREARM TO A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2020, 09:44 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
I just bought a new Buckmark UFX Camper. I decided to try to disassemble to clean it well before shooting.

The rear sight base screw would not budge. I read that Browning used loctite. I tried heat and it didn't help. So I applied a little "uncure" for about 5 minutes. Wiped it off to discover it removed the paint from around the screw. Sigh. (I'd attach a picture but tapatalk doesn't seem to want to let me. It looks like a silver ring around the screw head)

Why does Browning glue these things together? Am I seriously not supposed to ever remove the slide?
Hi Matto, sorry for your troubles. Are you using a L style hex key? A 1/4" or 1/2" drive ratchet with a hex bit socket would allow you to apply more force.

You might also tap the socket into the fastener with a small hammer. Sometimes shock will break the bond. I assure you they do come apart.

Once you get it out use a black magic marker to darken the metal around the fastener and don't forget to put the star lock washers back in place during reassembly.

Great little pistols, I've sure enjoyed mine!

Frank
Old 10-20-2020, 09:55 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to worry. There are plenty of Buckmark gurus on this forum that will offer you sound advice. Once you have the disassembly accomplished, touch up paint will fix the bare spot and only you will know it ever happened. I only owned one Buckmark pistol, and the problem with it was that screw would back out all the time on it's own. They are a great pistol, but the one I had just wasn't meant for me.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have an older BM Silhouette. It is an awesome shooter.

Iím not an expert on these but once you get things worked out, you will be happy.

As I recall, some of the experts would heat up a driver and allow the heat to transfer to the stuck screw. If you have two drivers, you could heat one up really hot and use it to transfer the heat and the cool one to remove the screw.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Kirby
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

You didn't say what kind of heat you applied. I assume you maybe used the tip of a soder iron. I tried the soder iron method on my son's rifle and it didn't work. At the time I didn't know about the method M2HB is suggesting. To see the method check out youtube "how to: removing allen screws secured with loctite on a AK47". I've never tried that method but intend to if I get stuck in your situation. If you use that method please let us know how it worked.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:35 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
Because it's his gun and he wants to?

If this is the way it is, glad I don't own one. I like taking things apart
I have 4, never had an issue, never taken the sights off it either. It's just NOT necessary.

You can eat fried dough every day if you want, but should you? Especially if a professional says NOT to in big bold letters?
Old 10-20-2020, 08:47 PM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have taken both of mine apart many, many times. Took the Black Label down to the bare frame to have it Cerakoted, put it back together and it shoots better than I do.

IMHO and IME, it is just not possible to keep a .22LR semi-auto, blow-back action pistol clean if you don't disassemble the action, to at least remove the bolt from the frame to clean the gunk out of the trigger/hammer/firing pin areas, as well as the bolt face and barrel breech. Also makes it MUCH easier to clean out the carbon ring when it builds up. And it will.

As I say, again, this is MY opinion. YMMV.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
At one time, Browning provided disassembly instructions in the Owner's Manual. Then came ham-handed kitchen table gunsmiths and lawyers, and here we are today. A box stock Buck Mark is a decent pistol, but can use some refinements to improve a few things. Making those improvement (and yes, ruining a perfectly good pistol) requires getting inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunter Apart 2.jpg (166.7 KB, 7 views)

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 10-21-2020, 12:51 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'm guessing some responding here don't own any Buckmarks. The sightbase HAS to come off for anything other than a cursory cleaning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPh-d9TgS3k

I don't even want to tell Matto how hard the barrel retaining screw can be to remove

Frank
Old 10-21-2020, 02:09 PM
matto6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, the rough start continues. I took it to the range and it jammed about every 3rd shot. The cases were stuck in the chamber so hard I had to bang the out with a wooden dowel. Tried two different ammos (Federal and Aguila) with the same result.

I called Browning. "Doesn't sound right. Send it in." 6-8 week backup.

While on the phone I asked him about disassembling the gun.

Him: "We do NOT recommend customers disassemble the pistol"
Me: "I'm literally never supposed to do a full cleaning?"
Him: "Nope. People break more stuff than they fix. Just clean what you can see."

Old 10-21-2020, 02:18 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
Yep, out a macabre curiosity I thought I'd read this thread to see the latest obsessive expectation from a new gun owner. A lot more inane than I thought it might be.

Removing the rear sight to clean it....and it's stuck....and you're mad....

Ever think of taking up golf?
I'm a GREAT golfer! But ya know, I can READ and (and) why would you take a sight off a pistol to clean it? (before you'd ever shot it)? look I prefaced it as to not be snarky. And I'm not at all mad!
Old 10-21-2020, 02:27 PM
matto6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
why would you take a sight off a pistol to clean it? (before you'd ever shot it)? look I prefaced it as to not be snarky. And I'm not at all mad!
I was not removing the sight. I was attempting to remove the slide to fully clean and lube it.

The "sight base" is the part that the sight attaches to, and it must be removed in order to remove the slide. Without doing so, you only have access to lube and clean parts of the rails.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM
LtCrunch

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yeah that. Field strip, thorough clean and lube and then scrounge up a box of mini-mags and see how she does.

Frank