Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:26 PM
wood-man
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Trigger creep

Hi all,
I recently picked up this Buckmark 5.5 Target from a LGS at a price I could not pass up. Had one many years ago and should never have sold it. Anyway I flipped the sear spring and now have 1.75 lb trigger pull which I am happy with but I would like to reduce the creep. Is there any proven methods of doing this? I know after market support for these pistols is not good but does anyone sell replacement sear or hammers to reduce the creep?
Any help would be appreciated.According to the serial # it was made in 1998.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There was a recent thread where this was discussed...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1192081 Thread title is "trigger (no pre-travel) forBrowning Buckmark URX"

Dave
Old 06-04-2020, 08:40 PM
wood-man

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
There was a recent thread where this was discussed...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1192081 Thread title is "trigger (no pre-travel) forBrowning Buckmark URX"

Dave
Thanks I will check it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 11:58 AM
mgar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My URX had the same issue. it was due to the sear having too much clearance on the sear pin. the sears have a black coating on them (phosphate?) that wears after use and then the sear pulls to the side of the disconnect before trying to disengage from the hammer. this also causes a relatively small amount of uneven wear on the sear engagement lip on the hammer since it is not disengaging straight. after going through several sears and pins to find ones with the least amount of clearance, I finally made an oversize 0.0005" pin and lapped the coating out of the sear bore to the fit I wanted and there is now no creep. have about 2000 rounds through it since then, shoots perfectly. but I am not recommending this mod to anyone. just buy several sears and several pins and find ones that fit together best and use those and replace when the creep gets bad. I had probably 25,000 rounds through mine before I did the mod.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:00 PM
OlongJohnson

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If that's a true Target model, it may have the adjustable sear spring preload feature. Pull the slide back and if there's a recessed set screw on the back of the slide oriented toward where the sear spring bears on the inside of the frame, you should be able to lighten it all you want just by backing out that screw. No need to flip the spring. In fact, the adjuster probably wouldn't work with the spring flipped.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
If that's a true Target model, it may have the adjustable sear spring preload feature. Pull the slide back and if there's a recessed set screw on the back of the slide oriented toward where the sear spring bears on the inside of the frame, you should be able to lighten it all you want just by backing out that screw. No need to flip the spring. In fact, the adjuster probably wouldn't work with the spring flipped.
But either way, that wouldn't reduce the creep.

My experience with a couple Target 5.5 models that have the sear spring adjusting screw is that the range of adjustment is very small, and certainly not "all you want". And he started by saying he already flipped the sear spring, and is happy with it.

Dave
Old 07-31-2020, 09:14 PM
wood-man

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
But either way, that wouldn't reduce the creep.

My experience with a couple Target 5.5 models that have the sear spring adjusting screw is that the range of adjustment is very small, and certainly not "all you want". And he started by saying he already flipped the sear spring, and is happy with it.

Dave
Yes the pull weight is good. 1.75 lbs.,it is the creep I don't like. The only saving grace is the trigger is very smooth so the creep is not very noticable until I pull the trigger very slowly.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:00 PM
snapper1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi all

I've been reading this thread with great interest.

I just recently installed a TK gearbox along with a TK Victory trigger in my Buckmark Target Rifle SS 2019.
Trigger pull weight went from 4.5 to 2.3 , with just a little ''weighted'' creep remaining, and basically no over travel.
Thinking about polishing hammer/sear surfaces to further reduce trigger weight and trying to get rid of that ''weighted'' creep...I guess the design of the firearm itself has some limitations regarding the trigger system...

I'm opened to any suggestions and advice in that regard.

Thanx
Old 10-27-2020, 06:55 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-man View Post
Hi all,
I recently picked up this Buckmark 5.5 Target from a LGS at a price I could not pass up. Had one many years ago and should never have sold it. Anyway I flipped the sear spring and now have 1.75 lb trigger pull which I am happy with but I would like to reduce the creep. Is there any proven methods of doing this? I know after market support for these pistols is not good but does anyone sell replacement sear or hammers to reduce the creep?
Any help would be appreciated.According to the serial # it was made in 1998.

Volquartsen used to make a hammer for buckmarks. It got my trigger down to 2.2 lbs, without the Heggis flip. There is still a tiny bit of creep, but I practically have to close my eyes and concentrate to feel it. The thing that helped the most with any remaining creep after I installed the hammer was shooting it.

Volquartsen quit making them because the variability on Buckmarks was such that the part didn't always drop in without modification. I don't know who has them anymore. Several years back, I had called Volquartsen and they were able to help me find a supplier who had bought all the remaining inventory.

I have since tried to find another with no luck. Ebay would be my best guess to find one. It's worth the $60 if you can find one imo.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:44 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
On my AR mil-spec trigger, (maybe 7 pounds?) the trigger had LOTS of creep,,

well, I degreased the trigger with acetone, than applied EEZOX lube.
I then dry fired it about 10 times, working the lube into the sear surfaces.

The trigger pull only dropped slightly, but, that EEZOX almost made the creep disappear,

The previous lube had been synthetic oil. I think it was Mobil 1,,,

Trying a different lube,, it can not get much lower cost than that,,