Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 PM
goosedowner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spider web paint?

I would like to Spider web paint my OD X22 stock. Will it look OK to Spider web the bare stock or should I put a base coat down?
Also looking for the best mat clear coat too.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosedowner View Post
I would like to Spider web paint my OD X22 stock. Will it look OK to Spider web the bare stock or should I put a base coat down?
Also looking for the best mat clear coat too.
What color are you thinking about. Iíve done a few, using black webbing. This was my first, a few years ago.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=539363
Since that one, Iíve done three more
This second one , you can see, it was a redo of a the green Ruger Am Predator I originally black webbed , then redone to a burnt orange.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1091273
You may want to get an extra can of spray to practice.
The first stock was lacquer, this last stock was Truoil.
Larry
Old 02-11-2019, 05:28 PM
goosedowner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought 2 cans of black spider web and my stock is OD and that's the color I want it wether I paint it or not.
Your stocks look great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
I bought 2 cans of black spider web and my stock is OD and that's the color I want it wether I paint it or not.
Your stocks look great!
Just wondering, where did you get the webbing and what kind of price. I was wanting a can , a while back and couldnít find any.
Larry
Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 AM
goosedowner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjennings View Post
Just wondering, where did you get the webbing and what kind of price. I was wanting a can , a while back and couldnít find any.
Larry
Ace hardware and it was $5 a can. I ordered them on line and had them delivered to my local store.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I have done a bunch of painting with assorted base paints and the best luck I have had is with a good quality Lacquer over top.. 2 coats and sometimes 3.
Deft Satin is real good if you can find it.

Last edited by Chaser; 02-12-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:29 PM
goosedowner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So should I paint my green stock green before I spider web it or will it look OK to o Spider web it with out painting it.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Quote:
So should I paint my green stock green before I spider web it or will it look OK to o Spider web it with out painting it.
From what I know about the "web" you need a base color first.. I think... give me a link to the paint.. I'll check it... EDIT : I now see your stock is OD Green.. so if it's plastic all ya need to do is prep/clean it.. hopefully it will adhere well..I would warm it up real good... then topcoat with a good quality Lacquer.

PREP is everything.. stock must be riffed with around 200 gr. and then CLEANED/DUSTED.. I clean with Simple Green on a old washcloth.. then wipe once with 95% strength Rubbing alcohol... then dust/defuzz.. do not touch it now without gloves, oils from your skin are a issue...you must figure out a way so as while you are spraying you do NOT touch it.. I usually put a take down screw in a few turns and hang it from a wire in the center of the shop .. then the only place I touch it is carefully on the inside of the in-letting when I need to swivel it as I spray.. I have also ran a screw into the butt-stock hole/s and used it to hang.. then used the takedown screw to move the stock around while spraying. Get everything figured out BEFORE you start! And temp. needs to be above 60 degrees.. the higher the better.. do not even attempt it unless you have heat in the garage/shop. Lastly, overspray gets everywhere.. cover what you do not want overspray on wherever you are doing this.. ask me how I know .

Look at post #6 here and read his instructions... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=539363

Last edited by Chaser; 02-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Only thing I see on Ace site is this.. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...MaAnvtEALw_wcB
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
goosedowner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Only thing I see on Ace site is this.. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...MaAnvtEALw_wcB
Yep, that's what I bought.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM
goosedowner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
From what I know about the "web" you need a base color first.. I think... give me a link to the paint.. I'll check it... EDIT : I now see your stock is OD Green.. so if it's plastic all ya need to do is prep/clean it.. hopefully it will adhere well..I would warm it up real good... then topcoat with a good quality Lacquer.

PREP is everything.. stock must be riffed with around 200 gr. and then CLEANED/DUSTED.. I clean with Simple Green on a old washcloth.. then wipe once with 95% strength Rubbing alcohol... then dust/defuzz.. do not touch it now without gloves, oils from your skin are a issue...you must figure out a way so as while you are spraying you do NOT touch it.. I usually put a take down screw in a few turns and hang it from a wire in the center of the shop .. then the only place I touch it is carefully on the inside of the in-letting when I need to swivel it as I spray.. I have also ran a screw into the butt-stock hole/s and used it to hang.. then used the takedown screw to move the stock around while spraying. Get everything figured out BEFORE you start! And temp. needs to be above 60 degrees.. the higher the better.. do not even attempt it unless you have heat in the garage/shop. Lastly, overspray gets everywhere.. cover what you do not want overspray on wherever you are doing this.. ask me how I know .

Look at post #6 here and read his instructions... https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=539363
Thank you very much