Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:38 AM
NorCal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midwest Gun Works CocaBola Grip Question

Just went to install a set of MGW Buckmark Field/Hunter Cocabola Grips on my new Camper UFX and the stock allen-head grip screws are too large in diameter to fit flush in the hole of the new grips. Does anyone know of a source for a smaller diameter fastener that will fit or what the thread pitch of the screws are? I guess an option would be to enlarge the grip hole then stain/finish the bare wood but I'd rather just replace the screws.

Last edited by NorCal; 01-21-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:24 AM
wildbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Don't remember the screw size right offhand but I do know I got some allen headed stainless button head screws at Home Depot that were the same thread size. I chucked them in a drill and used a file to trim the heads down to fit in the grip holes.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM
NorCal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks wildbill - I found out the thread pitch is supposed to be 8-32 x 5/16. I'll take one of the screws to some local Hardware stores to see if there's anything with a smaller diameter head. If I strike out, I'll do what you did and paint them black after reducing the head diameter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Thanks wildbill - I found out the thread pitch is supposed to be 8-32 x 5/16. I'll take one of the screws to some local Hardware stores to see if there's anything with a smaller diameter head. If I strike out, I'll do what you did and paint them black after reducing the head diameter.
Why not call MGW? Maybe they will send you some screws.
Disappointing that you would have to come up with a home spun solution for a grip that is supposedly made to fit.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:46 PM
NorCal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Why not call MGW? Maybe they will send you some screws.
Disappointing that you would have to come up with a home spun solution for a grip that is supposedly made to fit.

I emailed MGW and they replied back saying they carried the two screws shown below. The larger of the two is likely what came with my pistol and the slot-head is for older guns. I don't want to use a slot-head screw and at FIVE BUCKS PER SCREW I'm not going to let them ream me to the tune of $17 shipped for two tiny screws.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:11 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could try different factory Buckmark grip screws; there are at least two different ones...

Top view picture (shows head diameter differences)

Side view picture (shows head height and profile differences)

Non-UDX models use a regular flat-head screwdriver. Screw size is 8-32 x 5/16" long, head is 0.26" wide and 0.14" tall, threaded shaft is 0.225" long

UDX models use a 3/32" hex wrench. Screw size is 8-32 x 5/16" long, head is 0.306" wide and 0.088" tall, threaded shaft is 0.225" long

Note that, while the threaded portion is identical for both screws, the head on the UDX screw is shorter and wider. The shorter head allows for thinner grips (without the screw head sticking out). The wider head means you need an enlarged countersink hole in the grip.

Also note that Browning changes minor stuff like grip screws all the time... so if you have a new(er) Buckmark that has stainless steel screws or torx-head screws or you found UDX grip screws on a non-UDX model, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Dave
Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Waterking566
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Norcal try an ACE Hardware store they usually a large variety of assorted screws. WK
Old 01-21-2019, 05:31 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've not tried them myself, but these appear to be what you're looking for, and at lower cost than the $17 from MGW:

8-32 x 5/16" hex-head cap screws in Stainless Steel - from Amazon, 10-pack, $4.50

or

8-32 x 5/16" hex-head cap screws in Blued Steel - from Amazon, 10-pack, $6.16 delivered

Doesn't say what the head diameter is, so you might have to chuck them in your drill and reduce the head diameter, but, since it's a 10-pack you've got a couple chances to get it right.

Of course, for $0 but a little risk, you could also take a drill to the grips and widen the countersunk part of the hole to accommodate your existing grip screws with the larger heads.

Dave
Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM
NorCal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Dave

I believe the screws I pictured above are what Browning sells. I had been to the local Ace Hardware and they didn't have anything with a smaller diameter head so I bought two hex-head 8-32 x 5/16 that were pretty much identical to what came with my pistol.

I clamped a flat file in my vise then took my cordless Ryobi drill and chucked the screws into it and carefully turned the diameter down using the file. I stopped every now and then & checked the fit on the new grips until they fit. Hit the heads of the screws with a light coat of Satin Black spray paint and will install when I get home from town later. Looks like the threads of the screws made it without apparent damage.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1911 screws would work as they have smaller heads.

The 1911 screw thread is different though (and a bit bigger) that is why I just forced mine on my BM Contour.

I just used the steel ones that came with my S & W Victory (they are identical to 1911 grip screw specs) and used it as a threader since they are carbon steel.

Easy work on the aluminum-framed Buckmark
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 AM
bpoletti

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to Home Depot of Lowe's and see what they have. It's a standard thread size, just look for a smaller head.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
I clamped a flat file in my vise then took my cordless Ryobi drill and chucked the screws into it and carefully turned the diameter down using the file. I stopped every now and then & checked the fit on the new grips until they fit. Hit the heads of the screws with a light coat of Satin Black spray paint and will install when I get home from town later. Looks like the threads of the screws made it without apparent damage.
Pro-tip... when you need to put a screw into your drill with the threads in the chuck, put two nuts on the screw, tightened against each other so they cannot move, and chuck the nuts into the drill. That way the drill never touches the threads, so no thread damage even if you clamp the drill down hard. Only works on small screws, because otherwise the nuts are too big to fit in the chuck, but when it fits, it works great.

Dave
Old 01-22-2019, 04:59 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
I've not tried them myself, but these appear to be what you're looking for, and at lower cost than the $17 from MGW:

8-32 x 5/16" hex-head cap screws in Stainless Steel - from Amazon, 10-pack, $4.50

or

8-32 x 5/16" hex-head cap screws in Blued Steel - from Amazon, 10-pack, $6.16 delivered

Doesn't say what the head diameter is, so you might have to chuck them in your drill and reduce the head diameter, but, since it's a 10-pack you've got a couple chances to get it right.Dave
Actually, if you click the second image for that item, off to the left, it does show the dimensions.

https://www.amazon.com/10-8-32-16-Th...dp/B07BYYSG1V/
Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Winnut
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NorCal,

go on ebay...put in Buckmark grip screws...I found the right screws for aftermarket grips from blau330....black oxide hex head screws are perfect for me
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
NorCal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the tips/suggestions everyone - as per my post #9 above, I modified a pair of screws and they work just fine.