RPR M - LOK ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:19 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RPR M - LOK ?

Was setting up my new RPR last night,and in the process of disassembly and reassembly that the m - lok bipod mount , a piece of rail,on the bottom of the barrel shroud,that the m- lock screws were touching the barrel.

Knowing that this was bad, I disassembled again, and figured out that the screws are just a tad too long, or the barrel shroud was too small in circumference. Either way I wasn’t going to take this quietly, so I compared the screws to other m- lok screws in my possession and the shroud to other shrouds and determined that it was that the shroud was indeed smaller in circumference.

Since I could not replace the shroud in the middle of the night, out came the dremmel,and I ground those little screws down enough so the didn’t touch the barrel.

Has any one else experiance this? Is this why people have vastly different opinion on the RPR?Are the screws touching their barrels?

Last edited by Toomany22s; 06-09-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Comprehensibility
Old 06-09-2018, 08:26 AM
G-C
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I shopped for a m lok rail mount to attach my bipod I had already seen a thread here on RFC concerning this. Magpul brand I passed on because of the long screws. I apologize but I just can't remember the brand I did go with but it was obvious the difference in screw length and my unkown brand was 8 or 10 bucks more. Sorry that all I got. Sounds like you fixed yours though.

The RPR has been great fun for me. Accuracy wasn't great at first but has greatly improved to 1in to .5in at 50yrds when I do my part with a 2x7 leupold. I'm at 250rd count with CCI standard and Aguila Super extra sstandard. I'm hoping to post a range report after my next outing. Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Desert J
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found this out myself this weekend and had to grind the screws down for the time being.

Currently looking at these https://kineticdg.com/product-category/kinect/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 PM
hotrail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to read this thread before I performed the same install -- I may not have noticed the contact with the barrel.

Approximately how much did you have to shorten the screws? I just have a cheap harbor freight rotary tool (a poor substitute for Dremel) and not sure its up to the task of taking a lot of steel off the screws.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine may be different from yours!

Measure twice , cut once! Of course I did not do this. I installed , reassembled,noticed that they touched the barrel, not hard to do, pulled off the hand guard, called the gun store , asked if they had shorter m lock screws , they laughed a me, and told me to grind them down. I did it in situ , so I would say about 1/3. I did it situ cause I didnít want to find myself with buggered screws that wouldnít thread in.

When I sent the RPR back to Ruger , they did unscrew just fine, and screwed back into the locking nuts ok when I tried.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:27 AM
hotrail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why did you send the RPR back to Ruger?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Why did I send it back to Ruger?

Cause I couldnít take it back to bass pro and get a refund!

the Bullets donít load right.the magazine rocks forward and back and the bullets get mangled on their ride to the chamber.resulting in poor and inconsistent accuracy.

Part #54 , the magazine plunger housing,plops out on disassembly, itís not supposed to do that.

Thatís why!

Because of these 3 defects, I fixated on other design defects of this product such as..

The 30 MOA debacle
The trigger adjustment screw conundrum
The action screw inaccessibility paradox and the related
conflicting tourque information confusion
The M - Lok screw job

And then being told by Ruger Fan Boys on this Forum that I was at fault for my failure to comprehend that this Precision Rimfire Rifle had nothing to do with shooting tiny groups off a bench at 50 yards,but had been designed for a a real life version of a video game and or it was for long range shooting practice for those who wanted to save money by shooting a $.04 round .
Old 07-20-2018, 12:22 AM
hotrail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yikes.

I have not installed a scope on mine yet. I completely understand how the 30 MOA rail does not make sense. None of us are really going to try for 300 yards with these things. 50 or 100 yards for sure, but no more for me. I hope my Leupold scope has enough adjustment range to get a good 50 yard zero.

The rest of this stuff, it just seems like Ruger quality control is out of...control. My buddy has a new RAR and when you operate the bolt on it, it sounds like a chubby person walking in corduroy pants. Vzzzt Vzzzt Vzzzt, But the bolt on my RPR is very smooth.
And the issue of trigger adjustment? On my RPR, it measures a consist 1.5 pounds right out of the box. It feels so great I can't wait to shoot it. I can't imagine even wanting to adjust it.
I guess its just hit and miss with Ruger these days.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM
S1loki
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The VISM and GUNTEC M-Lok rails are good to go. Screw length is not an issue.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:30 AM
hotrail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Possible source for shorter M-lok screws?

For those havng an issue with screws that are too long on their M-lok bipod mounts, has anyone tried this? I see it comes with two sets of screws, in differing lengths. The description says "...two different length button-head cap screws to ensure compatibility with various hand guard or forend thicknesses."

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lo...eplacement-set

I counted the threads on the screws that were supplied with my Magpul rail section. They seem to be the same as the longer of the two sets of screws pictured. The second set of screws pictured appear to be at least two threads shorter in length. So this seems like your source for shorter M-lok screws -- just need to try them to see if they are short enough. The set is only $5.95 so if it works, this would be a better alternative to going at the screws with a Dremel, etc.

I just ordered one and will try it out as soon as it arrives, and report back.

Last edited by hotrail; 08-08-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM
timbermart
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used #10 stainless lock washers under the head of the screws and it shortened them enough to avoid the barrel.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up You are a genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbermart View Post
I used #10 stainless lock washers under the head of the screws and it shortened them enough to avoid the barrel.
I am not !
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM
BobD

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I am not a genius either. I am not a member of any Ruger Fan Clubs, nor do i play one on TV. None of my RPR nomenclature mentions M lock anything. Would someone clue me in? Are we talking about an add on bipod??
Old 09-11-2018, 12:20 AM
hotrail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M-Lok is just the name of the attachment system -- first designed by Magpul, but made by many manufacturers--that is used on the barrel shroud on the RPR (and commonly found on many ARs and other rifles). Those elongated slots are of a specific size and shape that accepts a variety of accessories, such as a picatinny rail section, using the "M-Lok" mounting method.

There are other systems out there -- the handguard on my Remington 700 PCR uses a mounting system called Squaredrop that is not compatible with M-Lok.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Travelor

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Just an FYI. the Green Mountain fluted replacement barrel has one of its fluted sections at the bottom so the longer M-Lock screws should be no problem.