Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Wrangler loading gate - Can you make it easier to operate?

9K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  Splitthumb 
#1 ·
I just saw a Wrangler and it is a nice well made pistol. I opened the loading gate and boy, was it stiff to open!!!! I am wondering if there is a way to make it easier to operate? I handled a couple of them and they were all that way. That is my only complaint on the pistol so far.

#4 ·
I had a single6 fully stripped down. As I recall, It was not too difficult. Basically, you push out two pins and it all falls out. You can look for a you tube.

If it is a serious problem, then it should be possible to do something about the loading gate. Polish, stone, file or cut a coil off something. I forget how that works exactly. Must be a spring and plunger in there. Then if the hole in the aluminum is too small, that could be tricky. First step, strip it down and find the reason for the stiffness. The shaft could be polished with 2000 grit? I dont know, just guessing here. As they say it is not rocket surgery or is that brain science :D

#16 ·
I took my new pair of Wranglers to the range today and was wearing out my thumb with the loading gate. On a walk down to check my target I picked up half of a wooden clothes pin. It's a perfect tool to use to open the loading gate. No more sore thumb. :bthumb:

The Wranglers both shot quite well with every flavor of ammo that I tried. I liked them enough that I picked up another on the way back from the range.

Best Regards,
ADP3

#21 ·
Here’s an easy safe way to smooth up your loading gate issue. First remove the cylinder. Take some flitz and dab where the spring and gate interface. Work the gate till it loosens to your desired amount. Clean all the flitz, apply your favorite lube and you’re good to go. Put your cylinder back in and off to the range.

#26 ·
The gate spring needs to be taken out , file off a little bit at a time on the angle 45 edge , then polish to a smooth finish . With the gate out , smooth under it with a fine file (remove the burrs from the casting ) the use a light machine oil on it . Reassemble check to see the big difference . Oh . You will need to hold the spring down to move the pin holding in place , move the pin just an 1/8” to remove the spring . a small “C” clamp works great for the job . Splitthumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.