Using 3/8" dovetail rings for old guns without grooves - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 AM
cpaspr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Using 3/8" dovetail rings for old guns without grooves

I have a couple of old Remington bolt action rifles I want to add scopes to. A 511 and a 514.

Neither has the dovetail cut into the top of the receiver. I already have 1" rimfire rings that fit a dovetail mount, so, my questions are:

Does anyone make a dovetail mount that can be added to the top of the receiver, to use the rings I already have? Or do I have to get the Weaver bases (or similar) and buy new rings to fit them?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaspr View Post
I have a couple of old Remington bolt action rifles I want to add scopes to. A 511 and a 514.

Neither has the dovetail cut into the top of the receiver. I already have 1" rimfire rings that fit a dovetail mount, so, my questions are:

Does anyone make a dovetail mount that can be added to the top of the receiver, to use the rings I already have? Or do I have to get the Weaver bases (or similar) and buy new rings to fit them?
You could get the receiver drilled and tapped for a mount(s).

Weaver makes a mount you could use...Tom

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba...ipoff_adaptor/
Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 AM
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Dont d+t it.If it wasn't meant to have holes dont add them.A proven method that works is black loctite. I did it on my 511 with a n3 mount.Also did it on a 23a.Works great.Can be removed using heat.NO damage to gun what so ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM
cpaspr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked into the tip off bases, but none of those indicate they fit the old Remingtons. Plus, it appears they all would span over the opening in the receiver.

So, last night I finally made my decision and ordered standard bases and rings.

And, while I like the idea of the black loctite, these are not pristine examples of either model, and I want to shoot them. So, I'm going to have them drilled and tapped. And the 511 already had holes d/t for a side mount years ago.

A good friend has an extra 6x scope he's offered to give me for one of them, and I'm looking for a replacement for a 3x9 that's currently on my .17 HMR rifle that I'll move to the other Remington. I found a decent 4x on Craigslist yesterday I could use on the .22, but A) it's silver and B) I want more magnification.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You can find rails that mount to the receiver that have a 3/8" dovetail on the top of the rail for scope mounting. These might be a better way to go since they will give you a longer mounting area so you can adjust your scope to fit you better. Sometimes, scopes are difficult to get mounted in the right position because of the short length of the rimfire action....

Bob
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Offset rings can give you more room to mount the scope.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:23 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
There is a guy that uses aircraft grade epoxy to glue a piece of rail on top of the dust cover of the FN-FAL type rifles to allow easy use of a red dot, etc. And it holds up to 762 recoil.

I'd look at doing the same, perhaps get one of the one or two notch MLOK inserts and contour the bottom to fit the receiver better, then glue it on.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brownells used to have 3/8" rail 'stock' to cut whatever length section you want to use.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:23 PM
cpaspr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As mentioned earlier, I went with the top mounts.

My gunsmith picked up the rifles this afternoon, and I'll take him the mounts, rings and the scope that I took off the .17 HMR tomorrow evening.

Progress is being made.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:49 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Re: the loctite suggestion. I have an old Rem 513 with a replaced barrel with no provision for a scope and just used super glue to attach mounts, after cleaning with alcohol. Still holding up but don't know how difficult it will be to remove if I wanted.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:23 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can tell you from experience JB Weld does not work. I was wondering about the UV activated glue.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:23 PM
buckndee

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I use Loctite-380-Black-Max-Instant-Adhesive, check Ebay for it,