Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 AM
jjp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Rimfire friendly scope list

I've been reading specs on scopes ever since being at the shot show. It would be awesome to have a list of all scopes that work great on rimfires. Scopes with adjustable objectives that focus to 25 yards or less and ones that the parallax is set for rimfire ranges. Would this be something everyone would like to see?

I've been scope shopping for myself and it's a hard to choose. I've made alot of notes. I will try to get a list started in tomorrow afternoon.

Adjustable Objective scopes that focus to 25 yards or less or have parallax set for 50 yards.

Weaver Superslams with AO
Weaver V16 and V24
Weaver Rimfires
Weaver 40/44

Leupold Rimfires
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 EFR
Leupold VX-2 6-18 target
Leupold VX-2 3-9 EFR
Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Chuckersgun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your list should be set up this way.

Scopes which are capable of focusing down so you could shoot indoors at 50 feet. While I was searching I found very few I could use indoors as well as outside at longer distances.

Millet
Leapers
EFR Leupolds
Mueller 8x32 by 44 mm SF
Weaver V series with an AO.

Just to name a few that I know of.

It was the indoor 50 foot mark which was the determining factor for me.

Your friend, Chuckersgun.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp View Post
I will try to get a list started in tomorrow afternoon.

Adjustable Objective scopes that focus to 25 yards or less or have parallax set for 50 yards.

Weaver Superslams with AO
Weaver V16 and V24
Weaver Rimfires
Weaver 40/44

Leupold Rimfires
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20 EFR
Leupold VX-2 6-18 target
Leupold VX-2 3-9 EFR
Your list is already in error!

Leupold Rimfires are set to be parallax free at 60 yards, not 50 yards.
Furthermore, some folks consider parallax free scopes set to 75 yards, such as the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 Shotgun and Leupold Shotgun scopes as rimfire friendly.

Furthermore, as previous poster has suggested, different people have different requirements for their rimfire. He apparently has an indoor range that is 50 feet.

Many airgun folks work at 10 meter distances, hence the Leupold EFR scopes are designed to focus down to that. Many rimfire folks have airguns, and want their scopes to be dual purpose, and support the airgun 10 meter range as a minimum.

I would create a table with a parallax or closet focus column for 150 yards, 100 yards, 75 yards, 60 yards , 50 yards, 25 yards, 50 feet, and 10 meters to accommodate the various peoples requirements for non-AO scopes. You will be surprised how many vendors do not clearly report parallax free settings or closest focus for riflescopes. Some are very sloppy, reporting for some scopes, but not for others. Weaver for example, does not publish close focus on most of their scopes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 AM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
I am not entirely sure but I THINK the Intensity 4 x 12 x 44 AO and the Burris Timberline 4.5 x 14 x 32 AO would qualify. Good idea, by the way, as I have been doing similar research on rimfire scopes. I just received my new Midway catalog and it is almost a reference guide for scopes, covering many brands and with a fair amount of info. I do not understad why some optics companies provide such incomplete, poor information on their websites. No excuse in my opinion.
9 fingers
Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 AM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
RF Nick
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd like to see it . It would save me alot of research time .
I'd like it to list both fixed power and parallax and adjustable power and parallax scopes .
Thanks for doing it .
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM
jjp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
When I get back this afternoon I will start an organized list. Thanks for the input. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Sightron SI 3-9x32 rimfire scope, and yes, the Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32AO scope.

Simmons 22mag scopes, both with and without AO.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
Weaver 4x shotgun scope,

Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 A.O.

Intensity 6.5-20x A.O.

Just a few....

Craig...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
bulldozerd8t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Whay do you think of the sweet 22 version made by bsa I put one of these on my Browning T-bolt and like it real well myself 3x9x40mm AO Turret for 36 gr. or 40 gr.

Last edited by bulldozerd8t; 02-13-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
9 fingers

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Don't shotgun scopes typically have pretty thick reticles? That is one thing that excludes some scopes from my consideration on rimfires. If the reticle blocks the bullseye at 100 yards, like my Simmons Aetec does, then it is not ideal. I still use it because I have it, but I am more careful now on what I buy for target and all around shooting. Also, as far as teh rimfire list, you may be able to add the Konus Pro 3x9x32 AO (supposed to be a decent scope) or the Vortex Crossfire 4 x 12 x 40 AO or maybe the Swift of the same range. But I am not sure what their close focus range is.
9 fingers
Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
jjp

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT View Post
Your list is already in error!

Leupold Rimfires are set to be parallax free at 60 yards, not 50 yards.
Furthermore, some folks consider parallax free scopes set to 75 yards, such as the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 Shotgun and Leupold Shotgun scopes as rimfire friendly.

Furthermore, as previous poster has suggested, different people have different requirements for their rimfire. He apparently has an indoor range that is 50 feet.

Many airgun folks work at 10 meter distances, hence the Leupold EFR scopes are designed to focus down to that. Many rimfire folks have airguns, and want their scopes to be dual purpose, and support the airgun 10 meter range as a minimum.

I would create a table with a parallax or closet focus column for 150 yards, 100 yards, 75 yards, 60 yards , 50 yards, 25 yards, 50 feet, and 10 meters to accommodate the various peoples requirements for non-AO scopes. You will be surprised how many vendors do not clearly report parallax free settings or closest focus for riflescopes. Some are very sloppy, reporting for some scopes, but not for others. Weaver for example, does not publish close focus on most of their scopes.
You are so right on this. When I walked around the shot show I went to each booth looking for scopes for 50 yards and in and most I people I talked with had to look at each scope. ATK"weaver" was very helpful and most of theirs with AO are good to go. Their were a few 30mm tube models that wouldn't go below 50 yards.

I just started the list as examples. I believe if we make a table with 75 yard+ parallax included, that would pretty much be all scopes. Most AO scopes all will go down to 50yards. I think it would be better to list the ones that go below 50 yards.

I think the chart is a very good idea. I will get one started and post it. Then any suggestions would be great. And please help find mistakes.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
ChiTown

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bushnell 4-12 x 40 AO Sportsman

I am just getting back to doing some rimfire target shooting following about 30 years out of the game after shooting competitively on my high school rifle team (back when America was AMERICA and many high schools still had rifle teams). But, I digress...

Anyhow, just got back from Gander Mountain where I purchased a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12 x 40 AO Sportsman scope (Model 72-0412C). Haven't taken it out to shoot yet, but playing around with it, it seems like a nice package. It is waterproof and has an adjustable objective lens which dials down to 10 yards and up to 300 yards and an infinity setting. It is a little bulky looking, but at $79.99 I thought this was a lot of scope for the money.

And, in response to the other posts, I have a Leupold 2-7 x 28 on my Remington Model 5 and it is a very sweet little scope. Perfect for whacking bushytails or tearing up tin cans.

Last edited by ChiTown; 02-21-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Leupold 4X28.