Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:42 AM
BigMac
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen Buckmark Barrel Test.

Well I finally received, fitted and mounted my Volquartzen Buckmark THM Barrel with comp. For those of you who don't know, this barrel has a carbon fiber sleeve over a slim steal barrel. The barrel is tensioned inside the carbon fiber tube to promote accuracy. The barrel with compensator is 14" long, has a bull barrel profile, but is comparitivly light weight.

Now this barrel is available with or without the comp. The barrel without the comp is only about 12 inches long and even lighter. Personally. I like the added weight out at the end that the comp adds. It's still lighter than the 10 inch factory bull barrel that I took off this gun but the weight isn't all in the hand. There is some weight on the barrel. All I can say is it balences better for me with the comp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckmark2.jpg (31.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 AM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Review part 2

Mounted on the gun is a 2.5 - 7 power Simmons Pistol scope I bought used from a friend. Next to the gun is a 40mm tasco propoint that I put on to shoot bowling pins with.

I had to do some serious fitting to get the barrel mounted on the gun. Once that was done I had some problems with feeding. After some polishing and experimentation I discovered that it worked flawlessly with round nose such as winchester wildcats, wolf target and eley trainer ammo. But would not feed hollow points such as Remington bulk golden bullets, Federal bulk hollow points, or CCI Mini Mag hollowpoints. However after running a couple of hundred rounds of round nosed ammo through it, the hollow points are beginning to feed more reliably. Still a few hangups. The problem seems to be a sharp edge where the ramp ends and the chamber begins.

After mounting the scope and zeroing at 10 yards, I moved out to 50 yards and rezeroed the scope in just a few shots. Then I shot the Pig and Chicken targets of the Metalic Silhouette match that Obx22 is hosting. I had to put both targets on the 50 yard backer due to limitations of the range, but thats pretty close to the proper distance to shoot these two targets. Pretty promising groups. (for the record, I cheated. I rested my forarms on the bench.) Note the two targets in the picture are not sized the same. The acual targets were the correct size based on the two inch box on each target. When I reszed the pictures, the chicken came out biger than it should have been. Thats why the holes in the chicken look larger than the holes in the pig. Both of these targets were shot with Eley Trainer ammo. At close range the Wolf Target ammo actually shot just a little better than the eley. Perhaps next time I can group some Wolf at 50 yards.

Last edited by BigMac; 04-13-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:24 AM
OnTarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good. I think i've decided to wait on buying a buckmark, i may have a high standard soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 08:36 AM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK.
FYI They make a version of this same barrel for the High Standards too.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:36 AM
OnTarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by BigMac
OK.
FYI They make a version of this same barrel for the High Standards too.

Hmmm i may have to look into that. How much do they run?
Old 04-01-2003, 12:24 PM
lawboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a good friend who has one of these buckmark barrels. He shot maybe 300 rounds through it, couldn't hold steady enough to his his own bu-- with the Burris 4-12 pistol scope he had on it. Took off the barrel, replaced the factory bull barrel, and the vol. tube has been sitting in my safe for more than a year gathering dust. My point: I am sure he'd sell it. It cost him something like $350 new and it is basically still new. I don't know what he'd want, but if you are interested, holler and I'll ask him about it. He's trying to finance a new rifle project and I am sure he'd welcome some cash. Regards. Lawboy.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:39 PM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
$350? Thats more than the factory wants. And about $100 more than I paid for mine new. Could it have been $250 maybe? I know at least one other person who has said he's interested but cant afford what I paid. If you friend will entertain offers I'll let him know. My original barrel was a 10 inch, all steel, bull barrel. so this barrel is easier for me to hold. Yes they are hard to hold still offhand. Thats why I cheated and rested my arms on the bench. I'm going to have to put it on a rest and see what it will do!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:18 PM
corpis66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
that gun looks perty %%%% sweet....i may have to pick up one of those Volq. barrels for my buckmark...maybe then i'll have a chance to compete with my uncles -soon-to-be-done-project...a 22lr revolver with a 10 inch barrel, scoped and ported
Old 05-05-2003, 04:14 AM
JoeCichlid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to JoeCichlid Send a message via Yahoo to JoeCichlid
BigMac....

I had a great time shooting that sweet pistol this weekend. I am going to measure the groups I shoot with it and post them here along with pics of the groups. BTW, I forgot to write down the score I shot on the e-mail match with it, could you post it in here so others can see just how well your gun shoots? For those that read the score, mind you there was a 20 to 30 mph cross wind that was ahead of the storm front that moved in last night.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:30 PM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I left the target at home. I think it was somewhere in the 220's.
I'll try to remember to get that from home and I'll edit this post. I know for certain it was better than my 50 yard rifle target I tried to shoot in that same wind.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:14 PM
JoeCichlid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK

I was thinking in the low 220's too but I could not recall lol
Old 05-06-2003, 11:21 AM
BigMac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How could we forget this score? When I saw it I had to go back and replug all the holes to make sure we did it right! The score was 222 with 2 X's.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:46 PM
JoeCichlid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by BigMac
How could we forget this score? When I saw it I had to go back and replug all the holes to make sure we did it right! The score was 222 with 2 X's.
LOL I still can't get over that score, I will have to get some Eley Trainer and wait for day when the wind is calm or at least lighter than it was Sat and shoot it again. I bet I can top my score!