Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:08 PM
Trolltoes
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What can you tell me about this Rifle?

I got this when my dad passed. I'm not very familiar Kimbers. What model is this and what can you tell me about it?

When I shoot it the bottom of the bolt hit. the the next round in the mag. Any idea what is wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2077.jpg (522.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2078.jpg (480.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2080.jpg (507.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2081.jpg (487.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2057.jpg (474.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Trolltoes; 07-28-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
That's normal. Every magazine fed rifle I own, both bolt fed and semi-auto contacts the top cartridge as it cycles. If it gouges the bullet nose the standard procedure is to round off the edge of the front of the bolt slightly so it does not, as shown on my Yonkers, N.Y. built K-22 SVT. Your picture shows the rubbing is minor in nature.
Kimbert SVT bolt dressing.JPG
Old 07-28-2021, 07:22 PM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (63)
You have a rare version of the model 22 Kimber. It is the "Custom Match" version that was a limited edition. Valuable rifle to collectors. Take care of it and enjoy! The early Custom Match was made in Oregon before the company left Oregon and restarted in New York. Some info in the Kimber Kollege sticky that member Vertfish has provided to all our benefit!
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=569260

"The K-22 Custom Match: Once Kimber Manufacturing, Inc. (commonly known as Kimber of New York) was up and running, it would not be long before they jumped on the CM bandwagon. The year 2005 marked the 25th anniversary of brand name “Kimber”, so late in 2004, Kimber Manufacturing released the “Super America Model Custom Match 25th Anniversary Limited Edition.” I guess just calling it a Custom Match or a 25th Anniversary wasn’t quite good enough! The 25th was to comprise a limited run of 300 guns. The gun featured some pretty nice light French Walnut (which I like more than the Oregon guns). The mineral streaking is much more pronounced with the lighter more natural finish. The barrels all had the later “step or fast taper” as opposed to the earlier “straight taper”. Because the K-22 actions were so radically different from the Oregon guns, there was no special checkering on the mag. release, the safety and the bolt release. The matte finish was the same roughness as the standard Hunter model and lacked the refinement of the Oregon fine matte finish. The Niedner-style widow peak steel butt plate appears to be powder-coated as opposed to blued. The Super America-style 24 LPI checkering was machine cut; as opposed to the 22 LPI hand-cut checkering of the earlier A-C models. The swivel studs are the standard post-type; as opposed to the more expensive inletted studs of their Oregon cousins. The overall fit and finish of the K-22 guns paled in comparison to the Oregon versions. The retail price of the K-22 CM (or whatever you want to call it) was $2,852.00; while the standard Super America listed for $1,988.00.

Bolstered by the advent of internet information, auction sites and what appears to be a groundswell of interest in collecting Kimbers, the original CM guns have been highly sought by collectors over the past seven (7) or so years and prices of minty specimens with original rings and boxes have mushroomed dramatically. It appears right now that $7,000 or more is what it will take to buy one if you are lucky enough to find somebody to turn an Oregon CM loose. The K-22 guns have also held their values well. I bought a NIB K-22 in 2013 and spent $2,500.00. My best guess is it would be difficult to get a NIB K-22 CM for less than $5,000.00 right now."

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 07-28-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2021, 07:49 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a nice one for sure!!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
That is a rare, valuable and very beautiful rifle.

Marks like that on the bullets are normal, especially on nonplated bullets in these rifles. The K22 design is among the very few with a true one piece rotating bolt with integral locking lugs; the topmost cartridge's bullet lube rubs on the bolt as it rotates. All box magazine rimfires will have the bolt rub forwards and backwards on the bolt; when the bolt rotates just like a centerfire to lock and unlock there's more lube rubbed off. Plus there's a projection on the bolt that pushes the top cartridge forward out of the magazine ears until it is pushed up into the bolt face, shown in the photo in the post above.

With dark greasy or wax lube on shiny lead underneath its more visible than with copper plated ammo with hard waxed lubes.

I've been shooting the K22 actioned rifles for around 20 years and after testing with many different types of ammo I could tell no difference at all between magazine fed and single loaded rounds.

And I have forgotten to say, sorry to hear about your father passing. Welcome to Rimfire Central and congratulations for receiving such an excellent rifle.

Last edited by Phil in Alabama; 07-29-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 PM
Trolltoes
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Phil thanks for the condolence about my dad.

Where can I get an extra mag?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:04 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (63)
Best bet for a magazine is Ebay. Make sure to get the K22 New York mag and not the 82 Oregon Kimber magazine. Should get a factory original for $50 or less.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolltoes View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

Phil thanks for the condolence about my dad.

Where can I get an extra mag?
I P.M.'ed you about a mag, I have some new ones.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:49 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Numrich Arms/Gun Parts Inc. usually has some too if the other sources don't. Ebay prices can get pretty steep, Numrich are reasonable, or were.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:27 PM
Trolltoes
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this the correct mag?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1828270
Old 07-31-2021, 02:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
That looks like it, made in Taiwan if they are the same company that made the repro mags for my Mossberg 44US sold by Numrich. They were an accurate and well made reproduction.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:06 PM
307rifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Numrich also has original Kimber marked magazine floorplates if you want to upgrade aftermarket mags.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 307rifle View Post
Numrich also has original Kimber marked magazine floorplates if you want to upgrade aftermarket mags.
Having taken a Kimber mag apart to take pics of the shape of a tuned follower, I can attest to the fact that it is a complete PITA. Some factory mags did not present the round correctly and needed slight bending to make it right. The used SVT I bought had four mags that were tuned and feed perfectly. The previous owner shot it in matches.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:13 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I ordered a new magazine from Numrich when I ordered a spare extractor and it (the magazine) worked flawlessly with zero adjustments of any sort needed. Feed angle and height were perfect. The notch on the rear allowed perfect latching without any wiggling around.

Floorplates are easy to remove and reinstall, just need to watch out and don't stick the end of the looped spring into your thumb. The floorplate on the magazine that I got is stamped Kimber as the OEM's were.

Incidentally, if they're still available a spare extractor is good insurance because no one is going to replicate that part and if it breaks you have a wall hanger.