Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger charger for Steel Challenge?

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  lasnyder 
#1 ·
I was looking through the rules for Steel Challenge and I am not seeing anything in the current rules that would exclude a Ruger Charger. Most of the rules state things like "any legal pistol" etc In the centerfire divisions, they do list specific dimensions that the handgun must fall under but the rules for rimfire pistol specifically state there are no maximum size restrictions and the Charger is legally classified as a pistol.

My question is has anyone actually done it? Was it allowed in a match? Were there any repurcussions or bad blood generated because of it from the other competitors?

I'm not sure that the Charger would necessarily offer any advantages in steel competition or traditional pistols and may in fact be a disadvantage,, but it seems like it would still be fun to shoot in a steel match.

Does anyone have any feedback or insight on using a Ruger Charger in Steel Challenge.

#5 · (Edited)
To me a single six has better balance.
I know someone that shoots steel with a Ruger Blackhawk and does fairly well.

The Ruger Charger is one of those guns I picked up once and the first thing that came to my mind was this thing needs a bi-pod.
When shooting steel if you are fighting the balance of the gun you are wasting time and steel is a time game.

#6 ·
Braces and/or shouldering are not allowed by the rules.

I have seen Chargers and other long barreled (14" Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel) Buckmarks and Rugers shot very competitively in Rimfire Pistol Optics Steel Challenge.

Hold the Charger like a rifle, ie. C-clamp weak hand grip on the barrel with the optic at approximately the same distance from the eye as with a rifle. Basically just shoot it just like a rifle, but without a buttstock.

I've never seen any problems or 'bad blood' from any Steel Challenge competitor due to brand or type of equipment used, but that said, be ready for some good natured kidding about your choice of gun. :p

Nolan

#10 ·
Braces and/or shouldering are not allowed by the rules.

Nolan
After running through the Steel Challenge rulebook a few more times, it says that the "SIG Brace" is not allowed in PCC. It does not mention RimFire Pistol or Rifle.

The Charger, with any of a dozen decent "braces" works quite well for some people.

We have two ladies who cannot get the LOP to fit their particular body size with any of the standard 22LR rifles. When one of them tried the Charger with a brace, the 10" LOP fit them perfectly and they were really happy to be able to shoot in our weekly match.

No, they won't be attending the World Steel Championships but they will be having a lot of fun shooting in their local match in the middle of the pack.

I've tried to find a definitive ruling on this, but based on the rules, I can't see turning them away at this time at our L1 matches.

AD (standing by to be corrected from something I've obviously missed!) :)

#9 ·
So I did enter the Charger in my first Steel Challenge match this past weekend and I WON!!

Well ok, the other guy that was registered to shoot rimfire optics in my age class didn't show up but the Charger got the job done.

And yes, it did raise a few eyebrows but by the end of the match people were commenting that it would be a fun gun to fling some lead with.

#14 ·
Actual SBR's in 9mm with tax stamp. I asked a woman that had one and there were several there. Mostly women had them. I understand why they are liked. My wife stole my AR9 braced pistol because all the weight is in close and it makes it easy for her to handle.
"Why did you buy that thing?" Here try it. Now it is Her's. Even took my Sig Romeo 5XDR. Then she liked that so much I had to take one of my Holosun circle dots and put it on her 15-22. What we do to keep our wives shooting and happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.