Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
VQ bridge mount

I've always been curious about bridging the barrel to the receiver via a VQ cantilever mount and when I got their email about blackfriday deals I looked in the clearance area and bought two to try this. I do not remember if anyone has done this and yes it is a lot of work for little to no gain but hey, I want to. My plan is to use JB or bedding compound to bed the rail to receiver with the screws to barrel holding it in place. I will have set screws ground to a point or proper sized BBs in normal scope mount holes of receiver to mark where I need to drill holes in VQ unit. It'll be interesting to see how this goes. I won't have but $15 total into it and I'll finally be able to satisfy my curiosity.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:37 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wouldn't screwing it to the receiver defeat the purpose of attaching to the barrel??
Old 11-27-2019, 11:57 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
If you want it to be what VQ intended. My intent is for it to be a mechanical lock between barrel and receiver eliminating possible "droop" and basically remove a variable. Now I'm no scientist and for all I know it will add a variable. I'll be doing a before and after.

There used to be a company that sold a bridge scope mount designed to screw down into the receiver and barrel. All holes needed drill and tape. I think it was Power Customs.

Last edited by nodak; 11-27-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 02:09 PM
karls42

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
interesting idea, keep us posted
Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
If you want it to be what VQ intended. My intent is for it to be a mechanical lock between barrel and receiver eliminating possible "droop" and basically remove a variable. Now I'm no scientist and for all I know it will add a variable. I'll be doing a before and after.
I am no rocket scientist either. I just think the purpose of a cantilevered mount is to eliminate any variable induced by movement between the barrel and receiver including droop. Not sure bedding and screwing the the mount down will add anything. Is the VQ mount rigid enough to pull the barrel up. If it is are the threaded holes in the receiver up to the task without stripping? When you do the before and after do the setup you have now, after installing the mount without bedding and then after bedding and screwing down the back of the mount. Good luck with the project.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:58 PM
DRob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ mount

The theory for the VQ barrel mount, as I see it, is to make sure barrel droop is eliminated from the game. The scope will be looking where the barrel is pointed regardless of barrel/receiver droop. There is a set screw near the rear end of the mount intended to contact the top of the receiver but not attach to it. I had a 10/22 I called the Junk Yard Scout. It was assembled from a bunch of parts I had not originally intended to put together in one gun. I installed the VQ mount backwards on a VQ CF .17 HM2 which came drilled and tapped for the mount. This gave me the eye relief necessary for a Burris 2-7 pistol scope which had been orphaned when I sold the Ruger Blackhawk revolver it had been paired with. The little scout was so accurate I decided it deserved more scope so I turned the mount back around and put a 3-9 rifle scope on it. Still have the gun and it still shoots very well.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post

There used to be a company that sold a bridge scope mount designed to screw down into the receiver and barrel. All holes needed drill and tape. I think it was Power Customs.
Yupp... GM did drill and tap for the PC mount... and THAT was the correct way to do it. I worked very well.. I built several with those goods in "those days".

Old 11-27-2019, 08:54 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Yes sir Chaser. That was the one that got me thinking on this so many years ago. I ounce had a Stinger barrel with the holes drill for it. I have VQ barrels ready for the cantilever but never wanted to use one. I can't get past the idea that the your scope is being held in place by one grub screw that don't even go into the receiver. I'm stuck in my ways of thinking sometimes and it makes me closed minded till I decide to open it.