Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
High Standard Patches

Picked these up locally and am curious as to the dates they were released.
I believe the triangular patch to be a new reproduction because of it's excellent condition. The yellow patches are 4" and about 3 3/8" respectively. Also, I think they're repros because of the excellent condition.
When were the originals made? And, can anyone verify that these are repros?

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patch 1.jpg (174.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Patch 3.JPG (30.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg Patch 2.jpg (502.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 AM
John Stimson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All three patches appear to be reproductions. The smaller of the two similar patches is a size not offered by the factory.

There are still original patches that are in excellent condition.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Harbor View Lane

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard Patches

I would guess that the Eagle patch was offered in the mid 1950's and the Trigger logo patch would be from the late 1960's. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2021, 06:08 PM
John Stimson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are at least 4 different patches with the eagle. The first is the most detail and suggests the 1951-1953 era. The next two are similar but with less detail. The forth had a space gun so would be 1958 or later.

The curved triangle patch has at least 6 variations. I suspect the one you have is a replica of the ones from 1968 to 1970. There are two variation of that one.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:53 AM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stimson View Post
There are at least 4 different patches with the eagle. The first is the most detail and suggests the 1951-1953 era. The next two are similar but with less detail. The forth had a space gun so would be 1958 or later.

The curved triangle patch has at least 6 variations. I suspect the one you have is a replica of the ones from 1968 to 1970. There are two variation of that one.
Thanks! I had no idea that there were that many different patches.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard Patches

I will take a picture of the Banner that Bob Shea posted in our bldg at Camp Perry. It has the Space Gun Patch and two Texas Patches. I will also post a patch that I think that Bob told me was THE VERY FIRST patch !!! - Alan Aronstein

Last edited by Alan Aronstein; 09-27-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pictures are Posted

The FIRST High Standard Patch (Bob thought that it was ) and the Bob Shea Camp Perry Banner are now posted on my previous post to this thread. Any info on the early patch would be appreciated.-Alan Aronstein
Old 09-27-2021, 09:53 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just an FYI since i know a bit about how they make them, and how things have changed over the years.....

Up until the 80's - 90's most embroidery was hand digitized using a primitive digitizing device similar to a computer mouse. Stitch counts were added, details tweaked, etc along the way.

Many didn't store the finished product, so if they ran patches a number of times, even if done by the same company, chances are they would be slightly different. It wasn't until the 90's or so that the machines and tech advanced enough that the average company could afford digital storage with all the details.

Cool that Alan has the old thought to be original though. But as for the initial questions, stored properly those things could look good for a really long time.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:03 AM
John Stimson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I believe this is the second design. Wayne Larcombe, a HSCA Collector, had a red and gold oval without the bullseye but sold it years ago. I believe it was the first design patch.

A number of this design with the bullseye design have survived but many have moth damage as the red field is felt.

There were two different banners made for High Standard by the Hollywood Banners, New York, New York. The one Alan posted is the black banner and has the twisted fringe. There was also a brown banner with a straight hanging fringe. John Hanks had a dark banner with a purplish cast but I believe it is just sun fading.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:41 PM
Dcarey51

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a better photo...front AND rear:
The small Eagle, Triangle, and Sentinel are all iron on. The Large Eagle is not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patches front.jpg (507.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Patches rear.jpg (498.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-29-2021, 05:54 PM
John Stimson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Sentinel patch is not patterned after a factory patch. High Standard never offered a Sentinel patch.

The other patches are also not factory distributed patches. Similar but not originals.

Last edited by John Stimson; 09-30-2021 at 04:55 AM.