Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:29 PM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
300 Yards Should We Dare?

I dared to tonight. On a groundhog. I had laser ranged it at 304 yards. My calculations had my elevation at 7.36" for 300 yards. I set the elevation to 7.25. I also had a tailing wind at about 5 to 8 mph moving about 15 from my back to the right of my point of aim. I guessed that the first right hash mark would be enough to compensate. The ground hog was surrounded by newly planted soy beans with lots of dry dirt around. The puff appeared instantly.

My first shot missed just high. The puff of dirt was right in line. So, I was pleased with my Kentucky windage calculation. The chuck dashed for the tall grass, moving closer. It didn't take long for the chuck to move out in the open again and start feeding. Now 290 yards. I dialed off to 6.5 inches of elevation and used the same amount of windage. I missed just high again.

Later, I realized I didn't account enough for my elevated position and believe this, plus the wind direction, probably doomed my two shots to missing just high. Regardless, I am very impressed with this little round. From what I saw today, I say, definitely. This little smokin' fast round is very capable of reaching out that far on appropriate sized varmints.

Shooting a Savage BMAG Heavy Barrel, bedded Boyd's Ultra Light Thumbhole Stock using Hornady labelled 20g ammo.

Last edited by Bradical; 06-16-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:30 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot sage rats (Belding's ground squirrels) at 300 and 300+ with my 17 WSM and it dispatches them well enough but they just kind of tip over dead there's certainly no splat factor like there is when you whack one at 100yds but they're tiny compared to a groundhog especially NE groundhogs.

If I can hit a little sage rat at 300 I'm sure you could hit a groundhog at 300 but y'all have some pretty big groundhogs in the NE and at that kind of distance even the 17 WSM doesn't have a whole lot of steam behind it so I'd expect a lot of crawl offs and I honestly don't think it would be the best tool for the job.

Using a 17 WSM on those big NE groundhogs I'd want to keep things 200 yds and under. We have their much smaller cousin the rockchuck out west and I'm always amazed at how much those things can absorb so unless it was a head shot a big NE groundhog getting hit by a 17 WSM shot from 300yds away would just run off and die a slow agonizing death and there's no fun in that.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I've shot sage rats (Belding's ground squirrels) at 300 and 300+ with my 17 WSM and it dispatches them well enough but they just kind of tip over dead there's certainly no splat factor like there is when you whack one at 100yds but they're tiny compared to a groundhog especially NE groundhogs.

If I can hit a little sage rat at 300 I'm sure you could hit a groundhog at 300 but y'all have some pretty big groundhogs in the NE and at that kind of distance even the 17 WSM doesn't have a whole lot of steam behind it so I'd expect a lot of crawl offs and I honestly don't think it would be the best tool for the job.

Using a 17 WSM on those big NE groundhogs I'd want to keep things 200 yds and under. We have their much smaller cousin the rockchuck out west and I'm always amazed at how much those things can absorb so unless it was a head shot a big NE groundhog getting hit by a 17 WSM shot from 300yds away would just run off and die a slow agonizing death and there's no fun in that.
I don't disagree that the shot really needs to be placed accurately. Which, admittedly is more difficult to do at 300 yards with a rimfire. Certainly, the odds of a misplaced hit increase a lot more in excess of 200 yards with this round. If I could legally use a .222 centerfire, that would be my go to. But, I can't. Honestly, even a gut shot with a .222 CF, or larger, could result on a crawl off with a NE Woodchuck. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Interestingly, the hitting force of little 17WSM is still packing over 120ft lbs of energy at 300 yards. By comparison the .22WMR is packing the same energy at 140 yards. Assuming I've entered the data into the http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ba...+Create+Graph+ correctly. The little 17WSM still has more than enough steam.

I'm still wrestling with the idea of making another attempt. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my adjustment and wait for ideal atmospheric conditions. Self admonished, yesterdays weren't.

Last edited by Bradical; 06-16-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2021, 03:34 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dare? Heck ya.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:02 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Interestingly, the hitting force of little 17WSM is still packing over 120ft lbs of energy at 300 yards. By comparison the .22WMR is packing the same energy at 140 yards. Assuming I've entered the data into the
The numbers for the 22WMR will vary a little bit based on which ammo you use for your reference but regardless the 17 WSM delivers more energy at all distances than does any 22mag ammo and with the bullets of the 22WMR having the BC equivalent of a bowling ball the further you stretch the yardage the bigger the advantage is to the 17 WSM.

Those Vmax bullets they use in the 17 WSM are pretty thin and will flat blow up a sage rat if you get a good center mass shot. For something like groundhogs or even the occasional coyote and fox if they had some 17 WSM ammo available with a 20gr HP version of the old Hornady 25gr HP that would probably give much better penetration. I know guys swear by those Hornady 25gr Hollow point bullets in their 17 centerfires.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:07 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Dare? Heck ya.
Ha! I new I could count on Al for a vote of encouragement.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:35 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Dare? Heck ya.
Yeah on that! 20gr very explosive on long range squirrels heads also.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:45 PM
wildcat18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My local range has a 300 yd target and I'm hoping to shoot the Bmag this weekend. It shoots good at 200, time to see what happens further out.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:56 PM
wildcat18

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Setup for 300 yds

The high shot is the cold bore shot. The low shot was with a slight wind in my face. I also chrono graphed all rounds shot. The CBS was 3027 fps. with the remaining 10 shots averaging 2978.

Overall, I'm pleased. Need to investigate CBS impact points.
Your results may vary.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:44 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Other than the CBS, that's quite good for a rimfire at 300 yards.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:09 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That really shows the superior ballistic coefficient of the 17 bullet. That spread/ cone of fire is easily within the margin for eastern groundhogs.

But, I'd have to produce "cold" barrel pattern to get the best estimate for better elevation adjustment. Your target may explain why I missed just high. Thanks for posting!
Old 06-16-2021, 01:17 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for sharing, wildcat!!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:38 AM
wonderdog1
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Thanks for sharing, wildcat!!
X-2
Im not sure l will be attempting a lot of 300 yd. shots with the wsm, but at least l know the round is capable (not saying l am) 🤔

Nice shooting!
Wonderdog1
Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 AM
justin87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fine shooting Varmint Rifle.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:55 AM
Traveling Fisher
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wyoming prairie dogs last week, were consistent hits at 8 MOA holdover. That puts the Bmag at 300+..Very impressive to me. My son said two years ago he was hitting at 350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk