Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:18 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talk me into a .17M2.

Sad to say, but I am a rimfire junkie. Have 11 rimfire rifles in every caliber except 5mm and .17M2. Thinking about a M2, but on the fence. Would be simple as getting a barrel for either my CZ 455 or my Sako Quad, so no big investment or anything. Despite that, have some hesitation, need persuading.

My reluctance is due to having two .17 HMRs. A CZ 452 Varmint and a Tikka 1x. Aside from just adding a caliber to my collection, I can’t really come up with a compelling reason to get a .17M2.

I doubt that a M2 would be more accurate. Both my HMRs are MOA or better out to 100 yards. While the M2 has limited ammo offerings and availability, the HMR is common everywhere and more variety in bullet weights/styles. While the M2 is quieter, I shoot suppressed, so the difference is minimized. For hunting, can’t see where the M2 would have any advantage. With proper bullet type, the HMR isn’t too much for the smallest of game and with the 20 grain ammo, is effective on bigger stuff. The HMR has more range to boot.

I can always justify things that I “need”. That is where you guys come in.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:15 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well there are some reasons the M2 is BETTER than the HMR. First it has a lower report. Much more pleasant to shoot without hearing protection than the HMR.
Second it fits in a smaller magazine. Third is is very effective to 100 yards and a bit beyond on squirrel sized varmints and some people here take ground hog with them. The HMR is only 300 to 400fps faster but it's not useful much further due to wind drift. Fourth it's generally cheaper to shoot but that calculation has changed. I bought a bunch of ammo under $4 a box and a lot at $5. Now it's closer to $8 to $10 while the HMR can be found for that it tends to be $13 to $15 a box. Lastly the biggest reason to buy an HM2 barrel or gun is because you "need" one for your collection to be complete! I would suggest you order one of the Ruger American rifles in 17hm2. They are a limited run and are not over priced for what they are. They will go up in time as new stock dries up. My $400 Ruger 77/17 investment has been a joy to shoot and examples often sell now for over $700. Ditto for the 452 rifles I wish I would have jumped on. Something has to be good about the round... I have a couple Ruger American Predators. One in 17hmr and one in 22 mag. They are decent rifles for under $300. Way better than Savage in my opinion.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:19 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
"Sad to say, but I am a rimfire junkie"
Prove it, get a 17HM2!
I do enjoy hunting with mine occasionally. I don't use it a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 03:13 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Put up or shut up. Just kidding and heck, you have no reason not to get a 455 barrel. Get a Lothar Walther and it'll be a lazer. Cheaper to shoot and does 90% of what the hmr can.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You guys helped a little, but the credit card is still in the wallet. Still can’t find a niche, my safe is already crowded. On noise, I shoot everything suppressed. Through a suppressor, supersonic rounds quiet down some, but aren’t what I would call quiet. Not that much difference between HV .22LR, .22 Mag and .17 HMR. I am sure the M2 would be quieter suppressed than the HMR, but not by much. Not nearly as much sound difference as unsuppressed. As far as ammunition cost, insignificant at my shooting volume. Probably shoot my HMRs less than 200 rounds per year. As for effective range, the HMR hits as hard at 100 yds as the M2 does at the muzzle. Wind drift and drop are significantly less. As for hunting, HMR is superior in every way. Bullet variety includes hollow points, polymer tip, lead free, FMJ and soft points.

I guess it comes down to “I want one, just because “. Wouldn’t be the first time I used that excuse to buy a gun.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:39 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Do you shoot from a bench exclusively? If so than "NO"

Do you hunt small game and have reasonable expectations of hunting accuracy? If so then nothing better than the ol 17mach 2.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MacR, the Ruger Americans come pre threaded for your suppressor with 1/2 x28 threads. It's not that it will do anything that your current guns can't, but those of us with both the 17 hmr and mach 2 have a fine appreciation for the smaller round. The limited run guns will increase in value over time. You'll have to join the club to see what we like so much about it. Either you are serious about wanting to try one or you are not and can get by fine with what you got. Only you can decide weather or not you want to add another caliber to the stable. I can see arguments for and against the mach 2. I'm not shooting suppressed so I don't have that advantage with the hmr. I am not generally shooting past 100 yards so it has all the power and range I generally need. Yes there are those rare shots that the HMR would be an advantage but those are a small percentage of my shots on game. You certainly do have the power at 100 yards that the HM2 does at the muzzle but it drops off so quickly with the wind blowing the projectiles this way and that way I don't think you can effectively use that power much farther than the HM2. For people who hunt in the deep woods, the slower round is for all practical purposes more practical for edible game. The HMR under 50 yards will pretty well turn squirrels inside out... HM2 is like a grenade going off inside. Sometimes no exit so I like it for safety. The HM2 feeds great in ruger rotary magazines. Do you need one, no. Would you regret buying one... I don't think so...
Old 05-22-2020, 03:06 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
. . . .17M2 . . .

. . . because they don't make a .12M2.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Well there are some reasons the M2 is BETTER than the HMR. First it has a lower report. Much more pleasant to shoot without hearing protection than the HMR.
Second it fits in a smaller magazine. Third is is very effective to 100 yards and a bit beyond on squirrel sized varmints and some people here take ground hog with them. The HMR is only 300 to 400fps faster but it's not useful much further due to wind drift. Fourth it's generally cheaper to shoot but that calculation has changed. I bought a bunch of ammo under $4 a box and a lot at $5. Now it's closer to $8 to $10 while the HMR can be found for that it tends to be $13 to $15 a box. Lastly the biggest reason to buy an HM2 barrel or gun is because you "need" one for your collection to be complete! I would suggest you order one of the Ruger American rifles in 17hm2. They are a limited run and are not over priced for what they are. They will go up in time as new stock dries up. My $400 Ruger 77/17 investment has been a joy to shoot and examples often sell now for over $700. Ditto for the 452 rifles I wish I would have jumped on. Something has to be good about the round... I have a couple Ruger American Predators. One in 17hmr and one in 22 mag. They are decent rifles for under $300. Way better than Savage in my opinion.
What features do you like over the savage? For curiosity sake
Old 05-22-2020, 10:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
To the OP if you're going to buy one out of your choices get a factory quad barrel cz never made a factory 455 and most after market are not sporter barrel and mach ii is a hunting round.I feel mach ii isnt as good as hmr for my liking. Hmr ammo and guns are readily available compared to mach ii. The quieter defense is null when shooting suppressed. Plus if you're only shooting 200 rounds a year there is no reason unless you are just in the mood for another caliber. Also the extra cost of ammo is null when only shooting 200 rounds so even if it costs 3 dollars a box more 12 bucks in my opinion isnt nothing.

Last edited by jagerman; 05-23-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:13 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacR View Post
Sad to say, but I am a rimfire junkie. Have 11 rimfire rifles in every caliber except 5mm and .17M2. Thinking about a M2, but on the fence.
I can always justify things that I “need”. That is where you guys come in.
Live a little and go where the heart wants. I've seen the pix of hearses with trailers but I think they're hogwash. Ya can't take $$ with you.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The magazine makes the Ruger far superior to the savage rifles. The mark II magazines are rather flimsy and in 22 mag/17 hmr anyways bend out of shape. I assume the 22 LR mags are also not tempered and deform easily. While the American rimfire isn't a 77/17 they have retained the Ruger rotary magazine. The biggest weak point to the American design is a rather weak single extractor where savage has the advantage. Savage rifles can be problematic with ignition. I would love to have a 452 Amerian or Varmint in Hm2 but people are holding onto them like a kidney. They don't want to part with them willingly.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
The magazine makes the Ruger far superior to the savage rifles. The mark II magazines are rather flimsy and in 22 mag/17 hmr anyways bend out of shape. I assume the 22 LR mags are also not tempered and deform easily. While the American rimfire isn't a 77/17 they have retained the Ruger rotary magazine. The biggest weak point to the American design is a rather weak single extractor where savage has the advantage. Savage rifles can be problematic with ignition. I would love to have a 452 Amerian or Varmint in Hm2 but people are holding onto them like a kidney. They don't want to part with them willingly.
Apparently you haven't seen or used the savage a or b series yet they use a flush rotary magazine. While ruger has a better bluing instead of a matte finish . After owning samples of both they both have things I like but savage wins in the accuracy department. Ruger hmr holds 9 ..savage b17hmr holds 10. Not sure if they made the b series in hm2 yet but they made mach ii in the a series. The ruger American in hm2 from whittakers leaves accuracy to be desired. If you're looking for another mach ii I would suggest a sako quad over cz and if the ruger magazine is your deal a volquartsen summit would also be a great choice
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 AM
mobilemail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread got me poking around the internet, and I came across a "new for 2020" Anschutz page. They show a model 1761 in 17 Mach 2, including a left hand version!! That's the good news. Bad news is I haven't found an US sources. And MSRP over $1600 might rule a few of us budget shooters out.

But if you want to take a look, here you go....

https://stock.nioa.com.au/uploads/at...for%202020.pdf
Old 05-23-2020, 08:42 AM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't do it ..