Lithgow 22lr - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Lithgow 22lr

Buds has em listed for $886 shipped with laminate stock. I would like to see a comparison to the new 457 that would be apples to apples maybe MTR. But if ya have experience with one I,d like to hear. Thanks
Old 05-19-2020, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the Lithgow rifles I've seen shoot unbelievable.
CZ needs a custom barrel to shoot with a Lithgow in my experience.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
All the Lithgow rifles I've seen shoot unbelievable.
CZ needs a custom barrel to shoot with a Lithgow in my experience.
This is true for me as well. I needed an aftermarket spring kit to reduce the trigger to under 2 lbs., but mine outshoots all my CZ's, except the ones with Lilja barrels. Mine has a synthetic sporter stock: Lithgow 101.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 06:36 AM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The one I saw on Buds has a heavy 20.9" tube. It's over $100 more than the MTR but looks like a very close comparison. Just from what I have read the trigger would be 1 to 0 CZ. Walnut stock, 2 to 0 CZ. Nitride finish to ceracoat. 3 to 0 CZ. I would like to see a heads up comparison. Same target Scopes and both shooting each guns favorite ammo. A significant accuracy advantage would nullify many other minor points.

Last edited by thesandman; 05-20-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
LOL. I'd like to see that too. BUT. I have shot a variety of ammo through my MTR with its factory barrel. Eley of various grades, Lapua of various grades, R50, CCI, SK etc. There have been some good groups, but not a ton of consistency. So I'd shoot a .250 group at 50 yards and cheer, and the next group, with the same set up would be .500 inches. I finally got tired of testing ammo in the CZ. The inconsistency decreased when I swapped out the barrel for a Lilja .900 straight barrel headspaced to .043.

Where the MTR excels (for me): I love the stock and how it rides the bags compared to every other CZ OEM stock. I can't tell you how many "almost great" groups I have ruined with CZ sporter stocks because of my inability to control the ramped stock butt off the bags. I'd wind up with one shot out of the group and the cross-hairs of my scope pointed right at the darned fifth hole. That's not a firearm problem. That's a shooter problem. But this shooter has to be able to control the firearm, and the MTR's stock makes that work much easier -- and more repeatable.

The Lithgow's stock, IMHO, is a compromise. It does OK of the bags, but isn't really a BR design. It reminds me a little of a polymer version of a Boyd's ProVarmint profile, with a notch in the butt and a wide-ish forearm, compared to most sporters, that is. Truth is, I haven't found the ammo that the Lithgow likes best either -- it has actually shot everything I have fed it pretty consistently and pretty well. And I am no great shot. To prove that, here's a target I shot yesterday with the Lithgow yesterday with Norma TAC -- an ammunition that I have never done all that well with in any of my rifles. I was fooling around with scope settings and with a Dead Air Mask suppressor, trying to see what worked. Here's the 50 yard target off a Rock BR front rest with a Protektor rear bag with rabbit ears. Wind was mild (5-7 mph), but gusty and from several directions:

Nothing to write home about, right? But the thing that struck me is that there is not too much vertical in the groups, which tells me that the Lithgow bedding is OK. Dunno what was up with groups four and six. Ammo variance? Shooter inattention? Gust of wind?

Bottom line: the differences I see between my MTR and my Lithgow are just the differences between two examples, filtered through one average shooter. In my case, if I could only keep one, I'd keep the Lithgow, based on the examples I have.

[Edit: there are many more upgrade options for the CZ's - barrels, stocks, etc. It is just a bigger brand than Lithgow -- at least here in the States. I take it from your question though that you want to know about a comparison of out-of-the-box performance. As I stated above, this is tough to do, but I can definitely say that if I were to rank some of the scoped rimfires in my safe in terms of the general results I get they would be (from worst accuracy to best):

1, Ruger American Rimfire
2. Savage Mk II
3. CZ 455 Ultra Lux
4. CZ 457 MTR
5. Lithgow 101
6. Anschutz 1710 HB

Not all that surprisingly, the list also reflects the cost of the rifles from least to most expensive. So, in my case, I have gotten what I paid for -- although (annoyingly) spending the money is no guarantee of results.]

Last edited by flangster; 05-20-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:08 PM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Flagster, Thanks so much for you experience. Thanks everyone that replied. After looking at the Lithgow again I'm thinking a more direct comparison would be a 457varmint. That would open the door for a substantial amount of money difference to put towards a custom barrel if so desired.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
You're most welcome! I really do like that 457 trigger, too. Let us know what you choose and post some pix. If I can't get one today, at least I can enjoy the RFC examples I have seen. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:47 PM
cranky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have around 5000 rounds of the old wolf ME thru my lithgow with the wood stock. It is a great shooter, and it almost shoots with my vudoo. It is an excellent rifle. I did get the lighter trigger springs and got it to about a pound and a half. I paid $1350 at the time when they first came to the USA.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM
thesandman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
As posted in another thread, it's a great time to be shooting bolt action 22lr,s. I want to look at the Christensen and the b14 also.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 PM
skwerl457

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an MTR .17 HMR & an MTR .22 lr both marvelous guns .
I also have a Lithgow 101 .22lr which eats up and spits out any ammo that I feed it .
It is by far the most accurate of the .22s and side by with the HMR .
The Lithgow stock is in Walnut but a sad case of wood , I would go with the laminate next time.
I may order a custom stock for it from Austrailia , they have great looking stocks for Lithgows.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwerl457 View Post
I may order a custom stock for it from Austrailia , they have great looking stocks for Lithgows.
Like this one from Hatcher's:

http://hatchersriflestocks.com.au/pr...gow-la101.html

Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 PM
jagerman

TPC Rating: 
50% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
Buds has em listed for $886 shipped with laminate stock. I would like to see a comparison to the new 457 that would be apples to apples maybe MTR. But if ya have experience with one I,d like to hear. Thanks
It will shred a cz ... the triggers are in the 4# range in the down side but doesn't seem that bad because the trigger is straight. Go watch the plinkster 22 video on it claims it's the most accurate bolt gun he has and it a cz killer .
I've been around multiple in lr and hmr and dont have a cz that can beat my laminate lr or hmr. Lithgow is the best use of the cz magazine.

From owning both lithgow is better in accuracy and build quality
Old 05-22-2020, 11:16 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman View Post
Go watch the plinkster 22 video on it claims it's the most accurate bolt gun he has and it a cz killer.
That's an interesting video and Plinkster shot some very nice groups with his Lithgow. I've never had mush luck with CCI Green Tag and have never shot the Federal Ultra but he did well with both.

The Lithgow is a nice looking rifle and I suspect it will soon have a group of dedicated followers.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgNWXae80W0

This guy shoots pretty well with his!
Old 05-23-2020, 11:37 AM
guther
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Do they make a 16 inch threaded version? That would be interesting to me.