Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:55 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I think the 9422 was better made than the post 1964 (pre US Repeating Arms) Model 94s.

I consider the 9422 to be a lever action version of the old model 61.

They just don’t make them like that anymore.
The post-64 94's get a bad rap, bu I have several and they are all great shooters.

I have a 94 Classic made in 1967 that shoots under 2" groups at 220 yards. Mind blowing accuracy for a lever gun. It also has some of the most beautiful wood you'll ever see on a winchester.

Also, Winchester went back to forged steel 94 receivers in 1993, and they are every bit as quality made as the 9422's.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Hoodiedad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
Quote:
I think the 9422 was better made than the post 1964 (pre US Repeating Arms) Model 94s.

I consider the 9422 to be a lever action version of the old model 61.

They just don’t make them like that anymore.
The post-64 94's get a bad rap, bu I have several and they are all great shooters.

I have a 94 Classic made in 1967 that shoots under 2" groups at 220 yards. Mind blowing accuracy for a lever gun. It also has some of the most beautiful wood you'll ever see on a winchester.

Also, Winchester went back to forged steel 94 receivers in 1993, and they are every bit as quality made as the 9422's.
That is some serious accuracy! Some 94 in 30-30 are floating around here since the ammo is quite expensive in my neck of woods and the round is considered to be a novelty and lacking the stopping power for deer and moose.

I'll mount even uglier and bigger scope on to the 9422 next week and do some ammo testing. I hope to find reasonable priced round with good enought accuracy. SK Rifle Match brings sub moa but a brick of it costs 80 bucks... And with the rate of fire that my son brings to the table i might go bankrupt before christmas
Old 05-22-2020, 02:43 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:

I have post 64 model 94s and they are nowhere near the quality of the 9422.
I also stated “pre US Repeating Arms”. That is when they went to forged receivers and angle eject. Those 94s may not be as collectible as the pre 64s, but they are as good, if not better. The mystery metal post 1964 model 94, but pre US Repeating Arms are durable but they can’t even be reblued without a pre coating.

I look for deals on Angle Eject Model 94s because they are exceptional, and they are “sleepers” when it comes to quality.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Hoodiedad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I handled this one and it felt like a quality piece of metal. The price is not that bad since new Henry lever actions go for 1200-1500€ here in Finland. I would have said that this one was newer shot but for the few marks on the loading gate. This could be nice for ringing steel at the range.

https://www.metsoase.fi/kivaarit/win...6/#description
Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:

I have post 64 model 94s and they are nowhere near the quality of the 9422.
I also stated “pre US Repeating Arms”. That is when they went to forged receivers and angle eject. Those 94s may not be as collectible as the pre 64s, but they are as good, if not better. The mystery metal post 1964 model 94, but pre US Repeating Arms are durable but they can’t even be reblued without a pre coating.

I look for deals on Angle Eject Model 94s because they are exceptional, and they are “sleepers” when it comes to quality.
Yeah, a few years ago I bought an angle eject 94 Legacy 30-30 with a 24" barrel and pistol grip. I like it so much I bought two more when I found good deals pop up. All three were new unfired guns and I bought the last one for $500.

Most people have no clue how good they are because they've been told post-64 guns are inferior. The baby gets thrown out with the bath water!

Last edited by CamP; 05-23-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:18 AM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodiedad View Post
That is some serious accuracy! Some 94 in 30-30 are floating around here since the ammo is quite expensive in my neck of woods and the round is considered to be a novelty and lacking the stopping power for deer and moose.

I'll mount even uglier and bigger scope on to the 9422 next week and do some ammo testing. I hope to find reasonable priced round with good enought accuracy. SK Rifle Match brings sub moa but a brick of it costs 80 bucks... And with the rate of fire that my son brings to the table i might go bankrupt before christmas
I hand load 30-30 to keep costs down and improve accuracy. It will take any deer within 200 meters. I wouldn't try a moose with it unless I used a hot 170gr bullet load at short distances. Even then, it's not the right round for a moose.

My 9422's like SK biathlon a lot. Also SK pistol match special.

I've also had great results with Eley force. I bought 25,000 rounds of it when it was on sale for $30 a brick.

Last edited by CamP; 05-23-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Yeah, a few years ago I bought an angle eject 94 Legacy 30-30 with a 24" barrel and pistol grip. I like it so much I bought two more when I found good deals pop up. All three were new unfired guns and I bought the last one for $500.

Most people have no clue how good they are because they've been told post-64 guns are inferior. The baby gets thrown out with the bath water!
You are correct. They are great rifles. You will find people complain about the safeties, but that is a small price to pay for an excellent rifle.

The quality may even be better than pre 1964 rifles because of the quality of the steel. At least they aren’t made of “mystery metal”.

I just can’t bring myself to buy the new Winchester 94 made in Japan by Miroku. There is something wrong with buying a piece of American History made in Japan.

Don’t tell anyone about the Angle Ejects, because I buy every one I can find that is priced right.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i have several browning-winchester firearms made in japan and they are all first rate, other than owning a true made in the usa firearm, the japanese winchester-brownings are made as good. and i own over 40 winchester pre-64 rifles to compare them to.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:26 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You are correct. They are great rifles. You will find people complain about the safeties, but that is a small price to pay for an excellent rifle.

The quality may even be better than pre 1964 rifles because of the quality of the steel. At least they aren’t made of “mystery metal”.

I just can’t bring myself to buy the new Winchester 94 made in Japan by Miroku. There is something wrong with buying a piece of American History made in Japan.

Don’t tell anyone about the Angle Ejects, because I buy every one I can find that is priced right.
The cross bolt safety doesn't bother me at all. If I have any criticism of the angle eject 94's of mine, it's heavy triggers with too much creep.

I fixed the bad trigger with lighter Wolfe hammer springs, taking .030" off the hammer spring guide rebound legs, and a $75 trigger job from a knowledgeable gunsmith. This resulted in a 3lb trigger with no creep and a crisp break.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:32 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It doesn’t take much to make the Angle Eject rifles perform as good, if not better than the pre 1964 rifles.

As far as Miroku built firearms, the quality is excellent. Having said that, I try to buy Belgium made SA-22s over Miroku made SA-22s. It doesn’t mean that the Miroku made rifles are inferior, they just didn’t have the same level of hand built workmanship, including the hand engraving that the FN guns were known for.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know how a guy can get through life without a superb .22rf levergun. And the 9422 is the best there is, rivaled only by early Marlins. My 9422 is the Coon & Hound variant.

Scoped it.........for like 5 minutes. Then decided looking good was more important at this stage of life.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:28 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post
Don't know how a guy can get through life without a superb .22rf levergun. And the 9422 is the best there is, rivaled only by early Marlins. My 9422 is the Coon & Hound variant.

Scoped it.........for like 5 minutes. Then decided looking good was more important at this stage of life.
I have to agree. My Trapper would look funny with a scope. Big Larry
Old 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel_Hoggson View Post

They do look better without a scope.

I have one old Marlin 39A that has a scope. All my other 22 lever guns are used with open sights.