High end\premium scope options for rifle? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-22-2020, 04:07 AM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,316
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
On NF NXS and ATACR's the eyepiece rotates with the power ring. I have several and do not find it bothersome, but then I do not use flip-up lens covers. For people who like flip-ups, it is a pain. If you don't, I don't know why it would matter.

However, an NXS or ATACR would probably be too heavy to suit you anyway. The NF that isn't too heavy and that you would love (unless you're weird ) is the NF Competition. That is what is pictured above in SmoothTrigger's post, and, as he says, the eye-piece does not rotate with the power ring. I am partial to the FCR-1 reticle in that model but some people find it hard to see, because it is so fine. I don't quite understand that, because it is not like I have young eyes, being in my 70's. I guess I just love a super-fine reticle, and if it is a little hard to see I don't care.

I was shooting my 15-55 today. I usually set it on 40x because it is so hard to find the target with it set higher, but it is nice to have 55x available if I ever need it. The ATACR's and Competitions have NF's ED glass and are phenomenal. The Competition focuses down to 25 yards, but my 5-25 ATACR goes only down to 50 yards.

Some people say that Swarovsky, S&B or March glass is better, but if it is I cannot see it. One thing is for sure, though, there is no better scope made than a high-end NF, like the Competition (or ATACR, but like I said, it is going to be too heavy for you, until you WANT more weight, like on a bench varmint rifle.) There is no scope made that sells new for under $2,000 that has glass as good as NF ED. You also are not going to find better turrets, tracking, reticle quality, eye-relief or durability/indestructability.

If a guy has a max budget of $1,500, then a NF Benchrest is a good option, but it does not have ED glass, nor does it have side-focus (which to me is preferable over AO even in a benchrest scope). And at 36 oz it is heavy. Maybe it's because I am behind my 5-25 ATACR that weighs 39 oz so much, but the NF Competition 15-55 seems light to me (it weighs 28 oz). The BR has illumination, while the Competition does not, but that is not something I ever use shooting a target rifle. For hunting, it can be great, but not in a target scope. My ATACR has a sophisticated illumination system, which I never turn on.

The Competition is a SFP scope because that is what all the serious BR shooters want. I even prefer SFP in my ATACR's and NXS's because, like you say, I don't like the reticle getting big at high power, nor do I like it shrinking down into a ball of twine blocking the middle of my picture at low power. IMO FFP is great for PRS but undesirable for just about anything else.

A Competition 15-55 will set you back a couple of grand. I must say it is great to see someone wanting to get a top-quality scope, as most people are looking for "the best scope under $300" or something. I completely understand being on a budget, but if you are able to afford, as you said, a $2,000 scope, you are not going to be quite as happy with a cheaper one as you would be with a Competition. Scopes are very much a "you get what you pay for" deal. There are no truly great inexpensive ones. However, while there are scopes that cost more than the NF Competition, there is not one I would be quite as happy with for a bench target scope, all things considered, even if money were not a factor.

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 05-22-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-22-2020, 12:06 PM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,316
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One other thing, for any kind of LR shooting (which is 100 yards with a .22), I want a level on my scope, and I have really gotten partial to the Flatline Ops "flip out" model. On the NF's there is room to mount it where I want it, which is in front of the saddle. Not so with all high-end scopes.

This is a 5-25 ATACR with a Flatline Ops on it. It is a fantastic scope, and much better on this varmint rig than a Competition would be, because for varmints I don't need more than 25x but I do need more bottom-end than 15x (when scanning for animals).

But even with its incredible glass, shooting targets at 100 yards for hours with it is tiresome, compared to shooting the same with the Competition, just because of the higher power.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-22-2020, 12:18 PM
comfisherman's Avatar
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2004
Location: 
Kodiak AK
Posts: 
1,181
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
If it's mostly carried afield mark 5hd
If its carried some and range toy more atacr in your preferred flavor
Never to be carried razor hd

My rules of thumb generally speaking.

March makes cool stuff, not quite to the point financially in life I roll $$$$ dice outside the big 3. But they are building a track record and have better service than the chiraz days, so maybe soon.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Smoothtrigger's Avatar
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Oct 2011
Location: 
WA
Posts: 
5,694
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a couple of points about the NightForce scopes that have been discussed on this thread.

The NF 12-42X 56mm Benchrest, and its little bother the 8-32X do not have HD glass as has been mentioned.
However they do have very very good glass, and with a 56mm objectives they are bright, sharp, and clear.
Also having an AO instead of a side focus eliminates a whole set of lenses which contributes to its brightness, sharpness, and clarity. A bit less convenient, but better optically.
I know because I have one, and I'm super picky about optics in general.

The NXS 5.5-22X 50 mm and 56 mm scopes use a locking ring on the eye piece.
The only way it can move is if it's not locked down, or you're adjusting the power by grabbing the whole ocular assembly like a baseball bat when you change power.
So lock it down, and/or don't wrap you hand over it.
I know because I have one.

Smooth


Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 05-22-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,316
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
The NXS 5.5-22X 50 mm and 56 mm scopes use a locking ring on the eye piece.
The only way it can move is if it's not locked down, or you're adjusting the power by grabbing the whole ocular assembly like a baseball bat when you change power.
So lock it down, and/or don't wrap you hand over it.
I know because I have one.
Regardless of how you grab it, on any NXS the entire ocular rotates with the magnification ring. You just don’t notice it moving because you do not use flip-up lens caps. People who do can't stand the NXS ocular.

As for “grabbing it like a bat,” Nightforce has always said they chose the locking ring design (copied from the old Weaver K series) specifically so you could, in a rush, just grab the whole ocular and twist to change power, rather than having to find the specific power ring, as with the Competition. The only problem (apart from the use of flip-up caps) with that lock-ring design is that if you do not have the lock-ring down tight you can, when trying to vigorously decrease power, accidentally unscrew the ocular and lose your reticle focus. It has happened to me, which taught me to make sure that lock-ring on my NXS is cinched down tight.

What you said about fewer lenses in the AO is correct, but I still recommend spending the extra money to get a scope with side-focus. AO is fine if you are shooting at the same distance for extended periods, but otherwise it is an inconvenience the only justification for which is to save money, and I hate ever doing that.

I have a few 5.5-22 NXS's myself, in both 50 and 56mm. Definitely one of the best scopes ever made, all things considered. Just not in the "$2,000 and up" class, like ATACR and Competition.

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 05-23-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
104
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
100 yards is long range? LOL That's just getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-22-2020, 09:02 PM
Smoothtrigger's Avatar
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Join Date: 
Oct 2011
Location: 
WA
Posts: 
5,694
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NightForce

https://youtu.be/Bk7JSSA9LsE

I don't have time to fill in the details until tomorrow, but I will say that SavagePlinker was correct and I apologize for my miss information right now.
Sorry Bro.

Smooth
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Cowpokey's Avatar
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Location: 
Bel Air, MD
Posts: 
290
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
100 yards is long range? LOL That's just getting started.
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. 100 yards is were it just starts to get fun. Heck, I used to do that with a Marlin 60 and a cheap 4x Tasco scope...using a fence post as a "bench".
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 AM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,316
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
100 yards is long range? LOL That's just getting started.
"Long range" is not determined by how many yards away the target is, but by how much you have to dial up to be on. To change from 50 yards to 100 yds with my .22 I have to dial up 7 moa. With my .204 with 32-gr V-Max, to go from 100 yards to 500 yards I have to dial up -- you guessed it, 7 moa.

Once you are dialing up more than about 3 moa, you better have a level on your rifle or some other way to assure you aren't canting your rifle, or you are going to miss right and left.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-23-2020, 03:17 AM
Cowpokey's Avatar
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2016
Location: 
Bel Air, MD
Posts: 
290
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
"Long range" is not determined by how many yards away the target is, but by how much you have to dial up to be on. To change from 50 yards to 100 yds with my .22 I have to dial up 7 moa.
With my RART I dial up exactly 5.50 moa from 50 yards to 100 yards...and zero clicks of windage.

Every gun is not the same.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 AM
Kilerham

Join Date: 
Dec 2019
Posts: 
161
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zero 25. 100yds is 3.5moa on my rig
Scope in high rings


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
104
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
"Long range" is not determined by how many yards away the target is, but by how much you have to dial up to be on. To change from 50 yards to 100 yds with my .22 I have to dial up 7 moa. With my .204 with 32-gr V-Max, to go from 100 yards to 500 yards I have to dial up -- you guessed it, 7 moa.

Once you are dialing up more than about 3 moa, you better have a level on your rifle or some other way to assure you aren't canting your rifle, or you are going to miss right and left.
That's your definition. Not a general definition. If you ask anyone shooting long range with a .22 they will not say it's 100 yards no matter how many moa or mils they dial. Matches go out to 300+ and are a lot of fun. 100 is just getting started.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2011
Location: 
NLV
Posts: 
4,249
TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
That's your definition. Not a general definition. If you ask anyone shooting long range with a .22 they will not say it's 100 yards no matter how many moa or mils they dial. Matches go out to 300+ and are a lot of fun. 100 is just getting started.
Just curious at 300+ yds. what is it or what are you trying to hit? I have only shot to 100yds. with my .22lr and this is trying to hit a dot about 1/16th in diameter for the X and less then a 1/2" for the 10 count.

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Rob01
US Marines Veteran Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2017
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
104
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Just curious at 300+ yds. what is it or what are you trying to hit? I have only shot to 100yds. with my .22lr and this is trying to hit a dot about 1/16th in diameter for the X and less then a 1/2" for the 10 count.

Lee
Not trying Seriously target sizes at matches vary but we have shot down to 4" steel at 300 but most in that area for a standard stage of fire are in the 8-12" area. Getting past that they usually make the targets a little bigger and up to full IPSC at around 400+ but most matches end around the 300-350 area.

Lots of long range .22 matches popping up now. Even NRL22 is adding X matches this year which go to 300+ in addition to their regular matches. Those style matches have drawn me in as I come from a long range centerfire background shooting PRS/Tactical style matches for about 17 years now. Fun to shoot off all different obstacles and props at steel out to long ranges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc3.jpg (45.0 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-23-2020, 10:24 AM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,316
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
That's your definition. Not a general definition. If you ask anyone shooting long range with a .22 they will not say it's 100 yards no matter how many moa or mils they dial. Matches go out to 300+ and are a lot of fun. 100 is just getting started.
Well, don't get me wrong -- I never shoot my .22's at targets closer than 100 yards unless I have to, as in a silhouette match. But my point was not to define what "long range" is, it was define when you need to start being concerned about rifle cant, which is determined not by the distance you are shooting but by what the trajectory of your bullet looks like.

I apologize if I insulted all the big studs shooting their .22's at 200-300 yards.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x