The Watering Hole 5-18-2020 - Page 24 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post

How many twice barreled shotguns are too many?
Surely you jest. At least you're not employed in a pastry shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigione View Post
Good Morning All,

Well found out who the barn landscapers are...ground hogs. Filled some holes and they were all opened up. Xena found a baby one that wanted to bite her nose.
Justified self defense homicide, chootem all girl. I have folks here numb to whacking yard pests.

I wanna put the boat in and the Finn isn't moving yet except slurping her skunk juice.

Coffee and butts hmm hmm good. Coffee w/o butts meh. One mug in the a.m. unlike friends in MO who drink it all day till dinner and then some if offered.

ETA- it was 48˚ this a.m. but now all the sliders doors n windows are open @ 69˚ in the sun.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:02 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I have always toad the line. Well, I have frogged around from time to time, but I was never in danger of croaking. A little jumpy after my Columbian arabica nectar while warting for the weather to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
You screwed up the natural circle of life by meddling with the frog. Gunfiend, and you of all pipples. Who knows what life's repercussions ensued after.
If it saved just one person from being ravaged by a mosquito or fly of color, it was worth it.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
If it saved just one person from being ravaged by a mosquito or fly of color, it was worth it.
Great point. We've 13 frog types here but I missed how many toad types on our local outdoor show with DNR experts in the woods day and nite listening to the varied choirs and guesstimating numbers from year to year. Sounds romantic except for the carnivorous bugs.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure About the gun Don but I now the owners are easy on the eyes. What gauge?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:47 AM
dbmjr1

NOLA Nawlins The Big Easy The Crescent City On the Banks of The Muddy Mississippi
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
How did you know the cat was a male? He has a set of stones on him not to be believed. My wife wants to bring him to the vet and have him fixed. He has been eating at a few houses we found out. My son named him Lloyd. I don’t need a 4th cat.
I can tell a cat's gender by their shape and colorations.

Quote:
Surely you jest. At least you're not employed in a pastry shop.

. . .
I'm Don. Please don't call me Shirley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
I have always toad the line. Well, I have frogged around from time to time, but I was never in danger of croaking. A little jumpy after my Columbian arabica nectar while warting for the weather to improve.

Covid Quarantine is beginning to take it's toll on older folks.

My new debit card was supposed to be delivered yesterday by the postman who never showed up.
Otherwise the Fausti would be coming home with me today.

The price is right. Even if I bought a truck load of spare parts.

Later. I'm off.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Porch posts pvc trim installed. Just in time for a relaxing weekend. Bedtime. Time to see if the new meds doc prescribed help me sleep better. Made doc's new nurse laugh today. She asked if I was anxious or depressed. First thing out if my mouth was, "I don't have time for that!".

Goodnight all!

Brent
Those front steps are out of code. No railing. We’re going to have to fine you.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmjr1 View Post
I can tell a cat's gender by their shape and colorations.

Cat whisperer. . . . . . .or sumpin?

The size of the head is usually a good indicator.

I'm Don. Please don't call me Shirley.

Yes, please delta that, you yooper.

Covid Quarantine is beginning to take it's toll on older folks.

The toll was collected long ago. . . .

Later. I'm off.
You can say that again!

Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM
Brent

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Those front steps are out of code. No railing. We’re going to have to fine you.
Several homes in our neighborhood are missing railing. Ours looked terrible, so I removed them several years back. Planning on new railing for porch and steps, but need to scrape and paint around our windows next. Back storm door needs replacing too. Just glad I have been able to do it this year.

Brent
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM
wookness

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Inadvertently self deleted a $$bucks & other drivel post. last evening. Didn't bother to repost; was generally plain wore out, heat index had been 98 during the latter part of the afternoon.

One of the funner things I got to do while yard werking yesterday afternoon was give away several cactus pads to some admirers who had stopped to take pics of them as they begin to bloom. Have two of them, same variety of a 'spineless' cacti w/prolific bright yellow blooms. Some of those pads will have four or more blooms on them. It really is spectacular at its peak. Guessing, they are 8~9' tall & a good six or seven feet in width. Also have some very large agaves that share the same beds w/them and gave away two agave 'pups' that were over two feet wide and about the same height. All the recipients were very pleased w/the plant gifts. They are zero maintenance plants, except they have gotten huge over the years & so I give away specimens to any who express interest. Sometimes, I'll break off a whole arm off of one of those cacti that may be four to six feet long. I bet we've had twenty & more persons stop to admire them in their vehicles recently and many more than that out walking during this Wuhan virus SIP situation. Just about all take pics of them w/their cell phones. We've probably given starters to fifty persons over the years since we've had them. I got them off a friend's place some years ago when a utility was going to destroy the limestone outcropping to bury some cables where he had them well established. He said they came from Mexico originally and were brought back in the trunk of a car by the original builder and owner of his home during the 1930's.
--

Promised rains showed up around 2A and the light show & thunder woke me up. We have received at least ˝" quickly. Not much wind, tho it has switched directions several times. It was NW 7 when the rain started, then SE 8 30 minutes later and is now W 12 G18 and 67°. RH is 87%. It was 94° in the shade and blowing hard from the south yesterday afternoon.

The town of Bowie got clobbered w/a tornado during the evening's nasty's over that way, tho it will take NOAA at least another day or perhaps a week to make a determination if it really was a tornado. Meantime, at a minimum, a large portion of a hotel roof has gone missing, numerous homes have been damaged, hundred year old trees have been snapped in two, squad cars w/officers in them were spun around in the WM parking lot and a few thousand folks are w/o power there and may or may not still have homes. MSM and others will wait for dawn to begin assessing damage & the linemen & werkers are hard at it in the dark to do the same so power may be restored ASAP. And the local police & firemen & Sherriff's Dept. are out there getting soaked assisting people. The governor's office dispatched Task Force 2 some hours ago to lend assistance. I hope Mr. Windsor & family are okay. His new place is in the active corridor for this storm system.
--

I made a run to Kroger's yesterday at noon to pick up some items the bride wanted. Thot it would be quick. Wrong! I got over there quickly w/light traffic, found a parking spot near the entrance even tho it was mostly full & then once inside it was like a kicked ant hill w/people everywhere and many not paying the least attention to anything, certainly not social distancing and some not wearing face masks. And it also became apparent to me that there were people in there w/no intention of buying anything more than a small bottle of water. They were in there for the A/C, chilling as they pushed empty baskets around!! I got the items wanted in no time at all and then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get checked out! Can you imagine lines of people buying a single small bottle of water or a bag of potato chips w/a credit card(!)?? It was 1:30P by the time I got back. I also noticed that their chicken breasts were priced past stupid.
--

Life in the fast lane, eh? I'm not going out again before Tuesday, if I don't absolutely have to. The storms should help to slow some of the local craziness, but it was already like a dog off the lead on Wednesday, in some places.
--

I'd say if the price is right to buy the Fausti, Don. Also, I'm thinking it was one of the O/U guns that they made to a price point that were sold by Wal-Mart at one time, so not their best quality, but still serviceable guns w/Kerstin locking system which is a good design. Triggers can be all over the map. Several Italian manufacturers made similar 'price point' O/U guns. I had a 20ga O/U at one time that was made by one of the Rizzinni off shoot companies w/two triggers that quite honestly were horrible. I simply could not shoot it because of that and traded it to a guy who 'bought the name, rather than the gun' and I came out rather handsomely, letting him make the deal, which I accepted w/o blinking an eye. Bit of a tangent remark, but after many years learning, buying, trading and shooting double guns, the proper way to approach an unknown is to 'buy the gun and not the name'. Oh, and I've met the Fausti sisters more than once at the DSC shows; very charming, but I liked the older rough looking Russian guy that used to do their booth before they started attending. He was quite the character. I've not seen him in a number of years. Back to your gun in question; I'm thinking you will come out fine and not lose anything when/if you decide to move it along later. I'd say to Czech the trigger using some snap caps or spent hulls w/dead already fired primers, so you know going in if its going to be problematic.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 AM
COW 54
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
50F, it looks like a sunny day.

Yesterday's green heron quest was unsuccessful. We'll try it again till we find one...

Lots of blue herons, eagles, ospreys, crows, and redwingged blackbirds (attack birds). The r/w will do a good job of defending their nesting area,
and don't EVER, I mean NEVER steal a r/w blackbird's lunch.

Life is good!

A heron being "attacked" by a r/w blackbird...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1561 heron being attacked by a r-w.JPG (183.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1565 b.JPG (173.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1567 c.JPG (213.7 KB, 55 views)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I concur on the Fausti. They are (were) a lot of gun for the money back when I had one or two of them.

I'm jealous of Wook having met and flirted with the Fausti girls.

I've had a lot of the Italian offshoot O/Us over the years; some a lot better than others. It all started with the Savage 440B 20 ga I got through the LGS where I worked while in HS.
I still regret not buying a svelte little Richland 28 ga O/U at one of the shops I used to haunt on a regular basis.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COW 54 View Post
A heron being "attacked" by a r/w blackbird...
Nestling blackbirds would be a nice snack for a heron, who would certainly take advantage of the discovery. I've seen them swallow young muskrats.
There oughta be a law, or a face covering rule, or something!
Old 05-23-2020, 10:46 AM
Al the Infidel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Boat launch was smooth except for backing it up a half block because of inconsiderate fellow man's launch area poor parking thus blocking the circle required before backing it in. Otherwise went fine and the boat is in the water! Happy happy!!
Thank you Governess for finally allowing us to use motorized boats this year after olde Yoopers posted themselves launching and fishing while social distancing.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Boat launch was smooth except for backing it up a half block because of inconsiderate fellow man's launch area poor parking thus blocking the circle required before backing it in. Otherwise went fine and the boat is in the water! Happy happy!!
Thank you Governess for finally allowing us to use motorized boats this year after olde Yoopers posted themselves launching and fishing while social distancing.
Congrats! I'd have hated seeing you in one of those "Boating Fail" U-toob movies.....

Old 05-23-2020, 11:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigione View Post
Good Morning All,

Well found out who the barn landscapers are...ground hogs.

Target practice.

Hubby says no animals at least yet.
Hmmm tigers...would that make me the tiger queen.

Lions and tigers and bears are already done. May I suggest Jaguars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread