Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:06 AM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePlinker View Post
Yeah, this poor waif showed up on my doorstep today.

They charge more for the G10-scaled versions but I'm really getting partial to the LW FRN's.

I have one of those sitting on my work bench at the moment. I have examples of most of the models and materials but I like carrying the LWs at work. Chaparral LW is in my pocket at work today.

This is my REX45 Para 3. I also have the REX PM2 but haven't carried it much. Too much competition from other models

I carried this Native 5 yesterday

Old 05-08-2020, 11:09 AM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59801 View Post
This is the first Syderco folder that I've purchased for myself since the late 1990's Tim Wegner design. The only other Spyderco knife I have is one of the Lum tanto's fixed blade that I used backpacking.This knife is the Spydiechef. It's a bit out of the ordinary at least in my opinion but I like it.
I like those Wegners!

At one point I was trying to decide between the Spydiechef or Kapara. Ended up with the Kapara. I really like that design

Placed a pre-order the other day for the new Slysz Sway Back. Been waiting for a long time since it was first mentioned a few years ago.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Seems the Kapara and Spydiechef have similar design parameters. An acquaintance of mine had one of the Spydiechef knives and was showing it around. The knife fit my hand well and felt useful, when he mentioned the knifes name Spydiechef it made even more sense to me. I like the Wegner design as hunters. I ended up with the two Syderco's and a couple of the Bladetech versions. They work well.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:56 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59801 View Post
Seems the Kapara and Spydiechef have similar design parameters....
Basically correct. Both designers (Martin Slysz & Alistair Phillips) intended these to be EDC knives that would be useful for kitchen duty. Neither are ideal for kitchen use IMO. I think the upswept blade on the Chef is a little better on a cutting board but I like the blade shape of the Kapara better for general EDC use. Plus I already have several titanium frame locks. So the Kapara was the better choice for me.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Here is my one and only real knife thanks to the advice of the member above me: PWNolan

Spyderco Kapara

Signalman
Old 05-21-2020, 05:28 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Found a Spyderco Cat C129 for sale and decided to jump. The price was decent and I liked the small compact size of it. 2 1/2" S30V plain edged blade, 3 1/2" closed. Carbon fiber scales. They had a spotty reputation for build quality, but the seller is a trusted seller I am familiar with, he thought this one was a good one. Here is a factory link to it.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...G-10-Black/669
Old 05-22-2020, 05:20 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
Here is my one and only real knife thanks to the advice of the member above me: PWNolan

Spyderco Kapara

Signalman
Hey, Sig, it only costs a little more to go first class.

That is real hunting knife, to me. For doing deer, etc., I have a Spyderco Stretch, which is very similar to yours, just not quite as nice.

It is the third one down here:

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 05-22-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Wow, I've never seen that Kapera before . . .

That is a real beauty. I've never carried a Spyderco while hunting yet, but found a Pro-Grip that is changing my mind. . Maybe this years deer season, assuming I can convince one to cooperate . . .

Savageplinker, that is a nice 'family photo' of your Spydercos. Thank you for including it.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.r. guerra in s. texas View Post
That is a real beauty. I've never carried a Spyderco while hunting yet, but found a Pro-Grip that is changing my mind. . Maybe this years deer season, assuming I can convince one to cooperate . . .

Savageplinker, that is a nice 'family photo' of your Spydercos. Thank you for including it.
I am becoming a "steel snob," J. R., and Spyderco is putting out some doozies. Really about the only time I "need" a "super-steel" is when I have shot a large animal, then it seems like I'm always fighting darkness, or a storm, or o/wise in a hurry to get it done and don't want to have to stop to sharpen. The new steels can be difficult to sharpen but they stay sharp an amazingly long time. This Manix2 LW (FRN) with S110V steel showed up at my door recently at quickly moved into EDC #1 position. It is not one of the "super-super-steels," like Rex45 or S90V, but it is way up there. The ball-bearing lock system is beyond cool.

If I were headed for the bush I would take the Manix2 standard weight (4th down in the family photo) because it has full steel liners. They make it considerably heavier than the LW, but I would feel better about it.

Last edited by SavagePlinker; 05-22-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Hey, Sig, it only costs a little more to go first class.

That is real hunting knife, to me. For doing deer, etc., I have a Spyderco Stretch, which is very similar to yours, just not quite as nice.

It is the third one down here:

SP sir very nice collection of Spyderco there...the Kapara is my very first real knife I am over 60 now and this knife is fantastic I am ashamed that it took this long to finally buy a real knife most of mine have been cheapies...20-40 throw away knifes.

Ever since talking with Pat and his huge collections of knifes he turn me on to them and I just got my Kapara in April and I am looking at another Spyderco I thought about the Native but only a few models has the bronze washers and the Sage 5 is super close to being the same...so this new knife will be a work knife.

J.R. sir I can't really explain how nice the Kapara knife is it fits my hand like a glove, the blade drops like a bad habit...super sharp. My only issue with this knife is the size of it...just a hair long compared to all my other knifes...so I need to get used to it. I never thought a belt/pocket clip would be of any real use...I thought they would be more in the way...but I don't even know the knife has one and once I clip it into my pocket is like disappears it is a very sweet thing...nothing like the knifes I had before poking me in the leg when I either sat down or scrunched down to do any work.

Signalman
Old 05-22-2020, 05:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
J.R. sir this Kapara knife I got just blows away every other knife I have ever owned...here is a picture of my work knife I have had for about 15 years now and my Kapara.

I knew I had some other knifes over the years and more were gifts from others and give away knifes for companies I deal with. I found my bag of knifes which most of them are so small I don't carry them at all...toe clippers are bigger.

Anyway I found one about the same size as a Spyderco Chaparral which was one I was going to order next but after handling that knife I realized it's to small for me...my work knife has a 4" handle and ~3 1/4" blade and I found that I like a little longer handle to be just right for me and the Kapara gives me that. The carbon fiber handle is so nice I don't have the heart to use it for work so I am carrying both knifes.

So I was looking at the Native 5 and only a few of that model has all the items I want. I also found the Sage 5 and they are so close it's unreal but the Sage 5 has everything I want in a work knife...I don't flick my knifes I had my years of that in high school with my 110 Buck knife. The spydee hole works better that I though it would...my work knife is a real pain to open especially if my hands are a little wet/ dirty etc. I am so spoiled with how easy my Kapara opens and closes the Compression lock is a dream for me. That plus a very dull work knife that won't hold an edge is why I am going to buy a second Spyderco knife. I am too old to be playing with Chit knifes any more.

I have sent hours watching videos on different brands and styles of knifes. And I am just now looking at different steels I never paid attention before. it's been fun to see the comparisons of different knifes.

I can see how Pat and others can get hooked on getting a new knife...I am just an old dog that wants a shinny new bone to play with. You know the very sad part about all of this is I have been going to the SHOT Show in Las Vegas for about 20 years now and I never once stopped by the Benchmade, SOG, Kershaw or Spyderco booths...let me tell you 2021 is going to be so different. I will have to spend a few more days there to see more of things there.

one last thing I want to publicly announce that Pat is one hell of a knife guy he knows his stuff and every time I ask about a different knife he tells me wait a minute and the next thing I know he is sending me a picture of it and a run down on the good, the bad and the ugly and his two cents that is worth thousands of dollars to me.

all you guys are ENABLERS...I need to stay away from this part of RFC because it's costing me money just like CZitis has.

Signalman
Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the next Spyder I hope to be getting soon. Brand new model - the "Astute." Can't wait for them to put it out in super-steel.

3" blade, just under 4" closed.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C252G/1834
Old 05-23-2020, 02:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Here is the next Spyder I hope to be getting soon. Brand new model - the "Astute." Can't wait for them to put it out in super-steel.

SP sir I saw that tonight and was wondering I could preorder it for $65 dollars...but I was texting with Pat tonight and he helped me with ordering my second Spyderco tonight. Just wish they were closer to where I live...it probably won't ship until Tuesday...but its ordered and that is all that matters. I have been checking out the different models off/on for about two weeks now. Finally pulled the trigger. It feels so good to have another one coming I can see how you can have a dozen in no time.

Signalman
Old 05-23-2020, 11:13 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, but we expect a photo in a few days!
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
remnar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I wouldn't expect to see this in any super-steel. This is one of their budget line knives. They are manufactured in China with Chinese steel to keep the price down. They are fine knives but the budget knives are produced specifically to keep the MSRP lower and producing them with super-steel would greatly inflate the price and defeat the purpose of a "budget line".