Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:21 AM
arow56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
16 inch revolver velocity

Sniper Country did chronograph of the rifle version of rough rider and surprise it was slower than the 4.5 inch barrel. No surprise to me. Always thought the cylinder gap would do that if barrel was that long.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arow56 View Post
Sniper Country did chronograph of the rifle version of rough rider and surprise it was slower than the 4.5 inch barrel. No surprise to me. Always thought the cylinder gap would do that if barrel was that long.
Thanks for info. Here is the link.
https://www.snipercountry.com/herita...-rider-review/
(Near bottom of article.)
Short version: CCI-MM was faster in the 16" and had best accuracy. The three others were slower in the 16" RR; Fed-Chmp, Win 36gr/hp, ThunderB. Wonder what the results would be with mid-grade ammo? But that's really not what Heritage RR's are all about.

The 16" RR is harder to shoot well off-hand than I expected. But it focused my technique and it improved with the RR and other guns as well. Fun novelty gun. Glad I have it.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:44 PM
arow56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Read that the Rossi revolving rifle also had low velocity. The reviewer commented the forcing cone was huge. I imagine so it wouldn't spew. Can anyone check the RR long barrel forcing cone against a regular RR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 12:49 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Read that the Rossi revolving rifle also had low velocity. The reviewer commented the forcing cone was huge. I imagine so it wouldn't spew. Can anyone check the RR long barrel forcing cone against a regular RR?
I can do that. Will get back in a day or two.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The forcing cone on the 16" and standard RR look exactly the same to me. (FYI... NASA was not consulted.)

That would have been my guess, but kept my mouth shut until I checked, because I wouldn't expect a price-point gun mfgr to redesign their standard frame that they use on every 22lr revolver that they make just because they stuck a 16" barrel on it.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Heritage = low expectations.

Yes, I would expect a 16" revolver to be slower than a 16" rifle but there is no good reason why a 16" revolver should be slower than one with a shorter barrel.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:01 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
stupid question, but once all the powder is burned if the bullet is still in the barrel won't that slow it down?
Old 05-23-2020, 01:40 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Yes, I would expect a 16" revolver to be slower than a 16" rifle but there is no good reason why a 16" revolver should be slower than one with a shorter barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
stupid question, but once all the powder is burned if the bullet is still in the barrel won't that slow it down?
Yep... faster in a rifle. But slower than in a pistol... that's a puzzle.

I recall from the article that the CCI-MM in the 16" was FASTER than in the normal 6" revolver. That is better ammo than the Fed, Win and T-bolt which was slower in the 16". So maybe the poorer ammo lost its punch due to cylinder gap? Don't know. But when all else fails, blame the ammo.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:15 AM
arow56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

While it is traveling down that long barrel gas is leaking from the cylinder gap.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:24 AM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
While it is traveling down that long barrel gas is leaking from the cylinder gap.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:29 AM
arow56

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
It was my hunch all along that with a cylinder gap barrel length that long would slow it down. I had asked folks with 16 inches to chronograph them.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:07 AM
biblethumpncop
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Send a message via AIM to biblethumpncop
I have an old model Ruger Single Six with a 9.5" barrel. I shot it yesterday through a chronograph along with my 6" Colt Diamondback and my 4" Micro Buckmark. The 9.5" and 6" were the same speed. The 4" semiautomatic was about 100fps slower.