Whoís saying the T-Bolt isnít a tack driver - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:08 PM
Benjamin77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Mine drives (or destroys) tacks. When i get bored of aiming at the bullseye after a while , I aim at the plastic thumbtacks holding my paper to the cardboard. It almost seems too easy. Most underestimate the tbolt because of the negative press regarding the trigger. I just donít get it.

1/4 inch groups from a $650.00 rifle with excellent fit and finish. A straight pull action that is so fun it makes you giggle. Whatís not to like?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:38 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin77 View Post
Mine drives (or destroys) tacks. When i get bored of aiming at the bullseye after a while , I aim at the plastic thumbtacks holding my paper to the cardboard. It almost seems too easy. Most underestimate the tbolt because of the negative press regarding the trigger. I just don’t get it.

1/4 inch groups from a $650.00 rifle with excellent fit and finish. A straight pull action that is so fun it makes you giggle. What’s not to like?
Agreed ... yet I understand why the love isn't there. As has often been the case with FN/Browning, a product has been badly neglected once its been introduced.

For rimfire fans, the obvious example is the SA-22. Still in production 100 years after its introduction, FN still hasn't seen fit to give it a proper name much less address issues that have existed since it was originally penned by John Moses Browning. Similarly, the "High-Power" pistol soldiered on for decades without meaningful changes, while CZ and others developed it into a premier competition firearm.

The T-Bolt? The second generation rolled out of the factory in 2006 (?) with that wonderful straight pull action and the best magazine you'll find on any rimfire. Yet nothing meaningful has happened since then. The stock styles remain the same. The trigger issues remain the same. The barrel choices remain the same.

Hey, maybe FN is selling every one they can make and making a bundle on each one. But if I were in their product development development department, I'd ...

- Offer more stock styles, including "tactical" and "precision" versions. No investment required. There are plenty of stock makers (Boyd's, Keystone, etc.) who would be happy to ship you a few thousand.

- Offer a heavy barrel version for the booming "precision" market. Again, no investment required. For the maker, Miroku, that's a straightforward machining change.

- Fix the trigger. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it's not good either. Make it great, and suddenly you'd be competitive in the position/biathlon segment where straight-pull is the "in" thing.

Finally, get the name right. That's something FN has had problems with for more than 100 years. They have a whole herd of guns that no one knows the proper name for ... the "Baby Browning", the "SA-22", the "High-Power", the "Superposed". The T-Bolt name causes no end of confusion with the original T-Bolt, a nice gun which had its own problems. Even calling it the "T-Bolt II" would help.

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited by dbuffington; 05-20-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
How about "Son of T-Bolt"? But T-Bolt II is pretty good too.

Rick H.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
How about "Son of T-Bolt"? But T-Bolt II is pretty good too.
Maybe "SpeedBolt"? Or "TacBolt"?

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited by dbuffington; 05-21-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:36 PM
jeronimo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post
Agreed ... yet I understand why the love isn't there. As has often been the case with FN/Browning, a product has been badly neglected once its been introduced.

The T-Bolt? The second generation rolled out of the factory in 2006 (?) with that wonderful straight pull action and the best magazine you'll find on any rimfire. Yet nothing meaningful has happened since then. The stock styles remain the same. The trigger issues remain the same. The barrel choices remain the same.

Hey, maybe FN is selling every one they can make and making a bundle on each one. But if I were in their product development development department, I'd ...

- Offer more stock styles, including "tactical" and "precision" versions. No investment required. There are plenty of stock makers (Boyd's, Keystone, etc.) who would be happy to ship you a few thousand.

- Offer a heavy barrel version for the booming "precision" market. Again, no investment required. For the maker, Miroku, that's a straightforward machining change.

- Fix the trigger. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it's not good either. Make it great, and suddenly you'd be competitive in the position/biathlon segment where straight-pull is the "in" thing.

Finally, get the name right. That's something FN has had problems with for more than 100 years. They have a whole herd of guns that no one knows the proper name for ... the "Baby Browning", the "SA-22", the "High-Power", the "Superposed". The T-Bolt name causes no end of confusion with the original T-Bolt, a nice gun which had its own problems. Even calling it the "T-Bolt II" would help.

Enjoy!
Dave
I agree with you on most of the points you made Dave.

They'll always be T-Bolts to me, whether the original FN, or the Miroku made versions.

Browning could do so much more with the T-Bolt, if they would just try.
It's really frustrating, seeing them do the same thing, year after year, when there are so many great things happening elsewhere in the rimfire industry.

Last edited by jeronimo; 05-22-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added picture!