Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 PM
fishnfol
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
82G roller bolt

my 82g jewell trigger just finished, has adjustable hanger. works great! the roller cocking stud l've been making for a couple years 10 so far, they cock like my turbo's. this is my 50 yard egg gun,usually our egg shoots are 100 yards with scoped guns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20200116_203805.JPG (470.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20200116_203930.jpg (266.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 06:55 AM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Neat,Kenny and I had briefly discussed using a bearing on an 82g many moons ago.Glad to see someone followed it thru and has made it work.Did you have to do much machining in the area it rides on?.Is the screw holding it much longer?. I see it follows the lug so it clear the machined raceways for the lug apparently.

Nice looking rifle and looks to be a well built gun,very nice
Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 AM
fishnfol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
82g

thanks, I made a jig to polish the cocking ramp,also remove a little off the cocking detent so when bolt is closed it doesn't jump sear. this was only a problem when stock trigger is modified, stock cocking stud still will work. bearing is 5x2x2mm, make a left10x32 stud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Great idea.

That is the way they should have been made from the factory.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:56 PM
arnie19

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is the Bearing a ball or needle or just a rotating bushing on a shouldered bolt ?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:01 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
If you could, specifics on what you did to fit the bearing, where you obtained the materials etc., would be very helpful.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:08 PM
fishnfol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
82g

started first time with a left hand 10x32 left hand allen bolt, 3/16 collet in the lathe turn down same shape with out board support through firing pin. the threads will need to stick up through firing pin just enough so the roller will be centerd on the cocking ramp, the allen bolt can be parted off to that lenght. I rap the allen with teflon tape so i can mark the height. next drill tap m2 .4mm allen bolt. setting the small allen with red locktite. allen bolt came from mcmaster car, sealed bearings are rc car bearings ebay
after the loctite sets up hasn't been any trouble installing left hand lug thread carefully tightning it. I'll take a picture, dig out drawing
Old 01-17-2020, 06:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...+roller&page=3

Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM
jcerne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
fishnfol, thanks for your excellent post. It inspired me to try to modify my 82G and I think I may have found a simple way to make a ball-bearing roller cocking stud. Instead using a new threaded stud, I just faced off the original cocking stud down to the threaded part and tapped a 2-56 hole in it. I then applied Loctite 262 (red) to a 2-56 screw and fastened a 3/16” by 3/32” roller bearing to the original stud. BE CAREFUL TAPPING THE STUD, IT IS HARDENED STEEL! I broke one tap on the first try, but luckily I had another stud (unfortunately/fortunately my 82G goes through studs fairly quickly!). The second time I used a tapered tap (used bottoming tap the first time), and cleared chips every ¼ turn of the tap.

Photo 1 shows the original cocking stud with the head removed/refaced and tapped with a 2-56 hole. I relieved the outer diameter of the stud face so that it would only contact the inner portion of the roller bearing.

Photo 2 shows the roller ball bearing screwed down with 2-56 bolt. As fishnfol said, the red Loctite allows one to tighten the stud into the striker CCW without the right-handed 2-56 screw coming loose.

Photo 3 shows everything assembled. New roller is very close to same size as original cocking stud, so works well without modifying bolt handle ramp.

Photo 4 shows what’s left of the roller bearing after the outer cylinder popped off. After cocking/de-cocking about five times, the outer part of the roller popped off! Here you can see the ball bearings, circled in red.

The bearing worked great and rotated nicely until it popped off! If one found a stronger bearing, I think this approach should work. Although the size of the roller bearing that I used matched the original cocking stud really well, maybe one needs to go with a slightly bigger/tougher bearing?

fishnfol, if you have any more details on the type/manufacturer of the bearing you used, please let us know.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 AM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (129)
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post it. Hope you get it ironed out, nice machine work.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:56 PM
fishnfol

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
82 g bolt

here is a bad picture, looks alot like yours. the bearing are double metal shield. not very inexpensive, 5x2x2 a little larger than stock stud. still doesn't impede firing pin fall. any larger and firing pin spring goes into a bind at the top of stroke. I do have an aluminum jig the bolt shroud slides on, then a.25 brass rod threaded into cocking window 280 laping compound on rod. whole works in vice, then I can work back/ forth smooth it out nice. I don't think it changes dimentions very much. Lucky I havn't had your bearing trouble I was more worried about m2x.4 allen bolt. but I guess because its tight and only touching the inner race its pretty stout. few bricks through mine, same so far other club members. bearings are off ebay, attemting to buy from usa somtimes tricky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20200117_215840.JPG (290.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:12 PM
jcerne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It works! Thanks!

I just needed to get the right bearing. This is what I used:

MR52-ZZ/W2C PS2

https://www.bocabearings.com/product...-w2c-ps2-13873

In the photo you can see a light wear mark on the bearing from the cocking ramp after about 120 rounds. Cocking is much smoother and lighter than before.

I think (and hope) that it will last a lot longer than the original non-rotating cocking stud. I'm really grateful to the people who came up with and shared this great solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2065.jpg (488.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 07:07 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Fishnfol,

Do you sell these roller bolt screws?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:28 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
It would be awesome to have a direct roller cocking stud replacement.