Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:10 PM
SAcharlie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI Quiet Ammo & SemiAuto?

I do search before I ask but had no luck piecing together an answer.
1st preference is a gillgun.
After that any Savage/Springfield or store brand.
Is there a model that will reliably cycle CCI Quiet ammo in stock form or easily modified as a dedicated shooter?
I did see some mention of such but if there was a good discussion I missed it.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Momo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No luck here, OP.

It is _almost_ Hollywood quiet out of my Ruger MKIV suppressed, but it will not cycle. If I want really quiet pews, I rack it by hand, but not often—it's a hassle.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAcharlie View Post
I do search before I ask but had no luck piecing together an answer.
1st preference is a gillgun.
After that any Savage/Springfield or store brand.
Is there a model that will reliably cycle CCI Quiet ammo in stock form or easily modified as a dedicated shooter?
I did see some mention of such but if there was a good discussion I missed it.
Thanks

I have several gill guns and out of about 10 of them I only have 1 that will cycle CCI Quiets reliably. The only reason I can figure out why is that the recoil springs in this particular rifle seem to be kind of worn out. It's a tad easier to cycle by hand and when shooting regular .22lr the recoil seems to be stronger. I've never bothered messing with it as I like using it for subsonic ammo.

It is possible you might be able to take a random gill gun and lighten the springs to get it to work, but I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 PM
jackkade

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most of your earlier semi-auto that would fire short / long / long rifle without any adjustments will likely cycle the CCI quiet. I know my older Remington 552 BDL will cycle it.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 PM
DaddyJack
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh Yeah

There is a savage or stevens gill gun marked short-long-long rifle, I had one some years back, I can't remember the model number or what I did with it, but it should cycle the quiet lr.
There's the High Standard Sport King Special, Model A1041, it is s-l-lr and shoots the quiet lr, I have one, it's built on the gill gun plan, better quality and a handsome looking rifle. (My armadillo medicine rifle...) There was a Sears version of it, too, should be similar - Model 25 I think.
The Remmie Model 552 is s-l-lr and shoots the quiet lr, I am lucky enough to have one of them too. Not a gill gun and pricey, but still made, and also a pretty piece.
Some years ago I had a Mossberg 351C (I think that's the right number, maybe 352C) that was semi auto, s-l-lr, and detachable box mag fed, and had the folding forearm. Seems like the box mag versions made along then were s-l-lr and the tube fed jobs were lr only, so the box fed ones should work.
Oh, the JC Higgins Model 30 was a semi, quality, handsome, and s-l-lr, too. I'm thinking any s-l-lr semi-auto should function the cci quiet lr. There used to be a number of such semis years ago, more than I can bring to mind. I can swear to the High Standard rifle and the Remington, mine both work fine. Accuracy is not quite as good as the CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Target, but better than the CCI Short Hollow Point, and I took many and many a squirrel with the shorts in the 552 over the years.
There's the Remington 550-1, it's a s-l-lr semi but I don't think it would function the cci quiet lr, on account of the floating chamber. Might, though. That one would be a try-before-you-buy.
The High Standard Sport King sounds closest to what you want...hope you find something!

Last edited by DaddyJack; 05-21-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: changed a model number
Old 05-22-2020, 05:28 AM
cmb1

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My KIDD 5.2 is the only auto-loader I've ever owned, that'll cycle Quiets.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 AM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to confirm other comments, Quiets will not cycle my 10/22 or my 597. But you can operate the semi auto rifles as bolt action with them. I use them to shoot almost silently out of my Savage Model 29 pump. Beyond 25 yards they become pretty inaccurate.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJack View Post
There is a savage or stevens gill gun marked short-long-long rifle, I had one some years back, I can't remember the model number or what I did with it, but it should cycle the quiet lr.
There's the High Standard Sport King Special, Model A1041, it is s-l-lr and shoots the quiet lr, I have one, it's built on the gill gun plan, better quality and a handsome looking rifle. (My armadillo medicine rifle...) There was a Sears version of it, too, should be similar - Model 25 I think.
The Remmie Model 552 is s-l-lr and shoots the quiet lr, I am lucky enough to have one of them too. Not a gill gun and pricey, but still made, and also a pretty piece.
Some years ago I had a Mossberg 351C (I think that's the right number, maybe 352C) that was semi auto, s-l-lr, and detachable box mag fed, and had the folding forearm. Seems like the box mag versions made along then were s-l-lr and the tube fed jobs were lr only, so the box fed ones should work.
Oh, the JC Higgins Model 30 was a semi, quality, handsome, and s-l-lr, too. I'm thinking any s-l-lr semi-auto should function the cci quiet lr. There used to be a number of such semis years ago, more than I can bring to mind. I can swear to the High Standard rifle and the Remington, mine both work fine. Accuracy is not quite as good as the CCI Standard Velocity or Eley Target, but better than the CCI Short Hollow Point, and I took many and many a squirrel with the shorts in the 552 over the years.
There's the Remington 550-1, it's a s-l-lr semi but I don't think it would function the cci quiet lr, on account of the floating chamber. Might, though. That one would be a try-before-you-buy.
The High Standard Sport King sounds closest to what you want...hope you find something!

I know that for the gill guns they are marked S-L-LR but are intended to be cycled like a bolt action with S-L and semi-auto only with LR. There are examples that will work semi-auto with shorts, but I doubt this is the norm.

Last edited by Catt57; 05-22-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-2020, 01:17 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Browning SA will easily cycle quiets but they pattern like a shotgun
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM
SAcharlie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.
To compare one cartridge to another for this cycling issue does it all come down to foot pounds at the muzzle? That info is published.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI quiets group well out of my RAR. Well except for the fliers.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:02 PM
DaddyJack
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA & Catt

"Thanks guys.
To compare one cartridge to another for this cycling issue does it all come down to foot pounds at the muzzle? That info is published."
SAch, I wouldn't go by foot pounds. I'd use the barrel markings - a rifle marked "Long Rifle" will probably be designed for the high velocity lr, and be too stiffly sprung for the lesser recoil impulse of the quiet 22 lr. A rifle marked "Short, Long, or Long Rifle" will be designed for the lesser impulse of the short, and be more likely to function with the lesser impulse of the quiet lr.
CCI has come out with a quiet long rifle semiauto round now, that might be of interest.
Also might add the Winchester Model 190 and 290 to the list of s,l,lr semi-autos - just going by what I read, never handled one.
Catt, you're right, I'll bet, my memory is lousy. I do recall seeing posts about why some have that feature and, a Western Field SD57 (springfield gill gun clone) just recently acquired has it. Just don't remember about the one I had back then...
Old Today, 08:44 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
CCI has come out with a quiet long rifle semiauto round now, that might be of interest.
I got an average of 874 fps out of the chrony with the QUIET-22 SEMI-AUTO 22 LR. Box says 835 fps.

My 1959 Browning SA will cycle Quiets.