Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:24 AM
Eaglerose

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Deer meat

Hello to everyone!
I have some deer meat left in my fridge and I'm looking for an interesting recipe.
I've made deer chops, soup made of its ribs, I made nice stew couple of times and now I need something new and delicious.
Do you have any ideas?
One more question. How do you keep meat for a long time? (As I know it may be kept in the fridge not longer than 2 days.)
I have only one idea with a vacuum sealer and these vacuum bags... that's it
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Eaglerose; 05-18-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:14 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nonsense...we are on 7k acres & on a MLD program down here & get our tags from the state vs using the ones on your lic & I kill more deer than the avg hunter...we have a cooler & use a cold storage log the state requires for the program. I will let my deer hang for up to 3 weeks in the cooler to age & it's amazing how much this improves the quality of the venison. Just gut & hang with the skin on.

You can do the same with a fridge...debone & put into ziplocks making sure to get all the air out. Some guys will suspend their meat in an ice chest in ice & drain the water daily as you don't want it sitting in it for about a week but thats more work than needed. Fridge deal is fine for 7-14 days.

For long term storage, freeze the meat in water removing the air from the ziploks.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:28 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Take any cut, but preferably the backstraps and cut into thin strips. I tenderize the cuts and soak in water overnite and then drain. Marinate with italian dressing for another day or less. After marinated, put on charcoal grill for a minimum amount of time, with a little pink/red on the inside. Add salt and pepper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 08:08 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
If you like a sweet BBQ shredded meat, this is about the best I've ever had. I'll add that I've never met a person who didn't like it.....even the ones who didn't like deer meat. I used to take it to work and everyone in the place lined up to get some.

Venison BBQ
3 to 4 lb. roast
1 Large Onion
28 oz. ketchup
2 TBL. brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard
Worcestershire sauce to taste
1/2 cup water (rinse out ketchup bottle)

Cook roast in crock pot on low for 12 hours. drain, fork apart. Fry onion and pepper, add meat with rest of ingredients. heat to serving temp.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Venison Wellington. Just follow instructions for Beef Wellington.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:14 AM
Garugerfan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s a good recipe for backstraps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A49100E5-6E5E-49A6-80ED-AD1450C4B285.jpeg (53.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I will let my deer hang for up to 3 weeks in the cooler to age & it's amazing how much this improves the quality of the venison. Just gut & hang with the skin on.
Yes. Weather permitting, I like to hang a deer with the hide on for about a week. Below 40 degrees bacterial growth slows and the enzymes work to age the meat. This greatly improves the flavor. Here in Illinois I like to wait until late in the season to get a deer so it can be hung in a cold garage.
My grown daughter tells a story about her and a friend going into the garage one night when they were teeny-boppers and they turned on the light to find a deer hanging in their makeshift dance floor.

As for recipes, put some deer in a crock pot with some fatty ham and a little BBQ sauce. Break it up and stir it all together when its done. The fat from the ham does wonders for the deer meat. Then get some good buns and make sammiches.

Last edited by max503; 05-21-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:15 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From south Louisiana, "put a gravy on it"!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cold packing it is the way to do it. Melts in your mouth. Once you eat it you'll never cut a steak again.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=Obz...sclient=psy-ab
Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 PM
thesandman
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Man you guys are making my mouth water. It's evening on my fast day. I'm glad there is only one page to this thread. I like to hang my deer all season 15 days. It's tuff since we get alot of freezing weather then but do my best. I skin em warm and hang skin off cause it's so much fun skinning a frozen solid deer.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have to agree, it is no fun skinning a frozen deer.