Anyone compare the new Target sights vs the Old? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:59 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Anyone compare the new Target sights vs the Old?

Anyone compare these two adjustable Target rear sights? The new one certainly looks better and the one piece rear serrated face looks more the part, but I'm wondering if someone who's familiar with the "old one," with separate base and blade, has had the opportunity to try one out.

Is the new one a quality, all metal, sight, or are there any plastic parts?

Link to New Target sight below

https://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-I...uctinfo/61170/

Thanks for any info.!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have a MK IV with the new sights as well as MK II's & III with the older sights . The new sights are all metal ..no plastic . They are also a little more compact than the older sights . They look to me to be an improvement & are also a little nicer looking I think .
Also if you go on Volquartsen's Ebay site they are selling the MK IV rear sight for $15.00 inc shipping . A pretty good deal if you are wanting one.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:54 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
does the MKIV base of the site fit a Ruger MKII/III dove tail cut out. The new sight does, IMHO, present a better sight picture than the older MK sights.

Last edited by JStacy; 05-20-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 07:07 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
I have a MK IV with the new sights as well as MK II's & III with the older sights . The new sights are all metal ..no plastic . They are also a little more compact than the older sights . They look to me to be an improvement & are also a little nicer looking I think .
Also if you go on Volquartsen's Ebay site they are selling the MK IV rear sight for $15.00 inc shipping . A pretty good deal if you are wanting one.
Thanks for the feedback! Me being the patient person that I am, went ahead and ordered a couple soon after posting the question, from ebay seller "vfcloseouts" for $13.50 ea., including shipping, since I was buying more than one. I don't know if that's VQ or not but they're supposed to be removed from new pistols. The only thing the sight seems to lack are built in stops for the windage and elevation screws, but I never had the factory sights back out on me, so I'm assuming the new ones are good to go. Like others, I did have rear sight pins walk out on me on two MKIIs, but nothing a bend added to the roll pin didn't fix.

Ref the new Target Sight, the ad on Shop Ruger and a couple of ebay listings state that the dovetails on the MKIII and MKIV are the same, And that the height should work perfectly on bull or thicker barrels.

Now I got the itch to see whatever else I need to improve the triggers on the MKIIIs and 10/22s. I already have the VQ hammer and sear; what else do you recommend for an improved trigger? I plan on doing a little searching when I have more time.

Cheers
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Me being the patient person that I am, went ahead and ordered a couple soon after posting the question, from ebay seller "vfcloseouts" for $13.50 ea., including shipping, since I was buying more than one. I don't know if that's VQ or not but they're supposed to be removed from new pistols. The only thing the sight seems to lack are built in stops for the windage and elevation screws, but I never had the factory sights back out on me, so I'm assuming the new ones are good to go. Like others, I did have rear sight pins walk out on me on two MKIIs, but nothing a bend added to the roll pin didn't fix.

Ref the new Target Sight, the ad on Shop Ruger and a couple of ebay listings state that the dovetails on the MKIII and MKIV are the same, And that the height should work perfectly on bull or thicker barrels.

Now I got the itch to see whatever else I need to improve the triggers on the MKIIIs and 10/22s. I already have the VQ hammer and sear; what else do you recommend for an improved trigger? I plan on doing a little searching when I have more time.

Cheers

Clark custom used to do custom work on the Ruger MK II & III's . You could send yours in & they would install their trigger and do some work on the sear . You could also send in your entire gun for a complete makeover . Never had one done by them but have only heard good things about their work on the Ruger MK series of pistols as well as the Ruger 10/22 . I don't know if they still do the work on the handguns but they still work on 10/22's.
A much simpler and far less costly way is to install a Volquartsen Target trigger & sear in your MK II or III . The sear will run you about $30.00 and their triggers are on sale on their ebay site for $19.00 in stainless...pretty good price as they used to sell for around $35-$40 . They are a very easy install and the trigger is adjustable for pre travel & over travel . What you end up with is a very nice & crisp trigger pull for around $60 and about an hours worth of your time. I have this set up in my MK II's & III and have been very happy with it.
You can save yourself some money by not installing the VQ target hammer . I think you will find the trigger & sear are all you need. I had the hammer installed and ended up removing it in mine.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 PM
MG-70

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Clark custom used to do custom work on the Ruger MK II & III's . You could send yours in & they would install their trigger and do some work on the sear . You could also send in your entire gun for a complete makeover . Never had one done by them but have only heard good things about their work on the Ruger MK series of pistols as well as the Ruger 10/22 . I don't know if they still do the work on the handguns but they still work on 10/22's.
A much simpler and far less costly way is to install a Volquartsen Target trigger & sear in your MK II or III . The sear will run you about $30.00 and their triggers are on sale on their ebay site for $19.00 in stainless...pretty good price as they used to sell for around $35-$40 . They are a very easy install and the trigger is adjustable for pre travel & over travel . What you end up with is a very nice & crisp trigger pull for around $60 and about an hours worth of your time. I have this set up in my MK II's & III and have been very happy with it.
You can save yourself some money by not installing the VQ target hammer . I think you will find the trigger & sear are all you need. I had the hammer installed and ended up removing it in mine.
Thank you again! I already have the VQ hammer and sear on both my MkIIIs. I was wondering if there was anything else, but I can do the due diligence at a later time. I did notice from reading the description of their accurizing kit that the trigger plunger is polished, so maybe I'll try my hand at that to see if it makes any difference.

Cheers
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post

Cheers
vfcloseouts is indeed VQ, and Nick V is running those sales. I have contacted him a number of times over the past few months about multiple purchases.