Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 PM
s10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to s10/22
Mark IV Rear Sight Install on Zytel 22/45

I am installing a New Take-Off Mark IV rear sight from Volquartsen onto a Zytel 22/45. And will do a second one on a Mark II. Factory sight removal was a bit of a challenge, but loosened the elevation screw and nylon punch worked, removing left to right. Mark IV sight VERY tight. Sprayed liberal amounts of One Shot to lubricate and beat the sight aggressively. Installing from right to left. Fearing harm and damage, to sight or gun, I come to RFC.

Next Steps?
a. remove and file to fit?
b. try a different lubricant and keep pounding?
c. take to a qualified gunsmith
d. try an RFC suggestion I have not thought of

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Last edited by s10/22; 05-17-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10/22 View Post
I am installing a New Take-Off Mark IV rear sight from Volquartsen onto a Zytel 22/45. And will do a second one on a Mark II. Factory sight removal was a bit of a challenge, but loosened the elevation screw and nylon punch worked, removing left to right. Mark IV sight VERY tight. Sprayed liberal amounts of One Shot to lubricate and beat the sight aggressively. Installing from right to left. Fearing harm and damage, to sight or gun, I come to RFC.
Next Steps?
a. remove and file to fit?

That would be my first choice, but file on the sight only - not the receiver.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
That would be my first choice, but file on the sight only - not the receiver.
+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 01:56 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Knock it back out and clean up any damage that has been caused. Okay time to start over. Check to see that the 2 edges at the bottom of the sight are not wider and sharper than the dovetail on the gun. You do not want this area to hit or be the cause of your finale fit. When you get that done put your sight up to the gun and just start it in tap it lightly don’t mussel it. Now look sideways into the dovetail at a light source. If you see light between the angles this means your corners are still hitting and need worked on more. What you want is for the sight to be making contact with the angles and the bottom. At this point you only want to remove material from the bottom of the sight with a file being careful to keep it flat. Best done by laying the file down and moving the sight on the file checking fit as you go. You have to decide for yourself when it’s time to tap it harder. Just back it out before you get back in trouble again. I don’t know how to tell you how tight the fit should be besides a good snug fit that has given you a good bit of resistance to get into position.
Anyway this is what I always do sometimes, good luck.

Last edited by rep1954; 05-17-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 PM
s10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to s10/22
Rep1954 -- Thank you for the spot-on great advice. Got the sight back off, filed on the base as suggested and now fits like a glove. Can't wait to go sight it in. Thank you again for the step-by-step help. I appreciate it.

s10/22
Old 05-24-2020, 10:11 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Note for the crowd: the OP is doing this in the correct direction. Insert from the right, remove from left to right.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Rep1954 -- Thank you for the spot-on great advice. Got the sight back off, filed on the base as suggested and now fits like a glove. Can't wait to go sight it in. Thank you again for the step-by-step help. I appreciate it.

s10/22
Glad to hear you made out good and by doing it yourself as is always self rewarding.