Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:20 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
I have to agree; that holdover method is like the withdrawal method of birth control; sounds like it might work, but it is hopelessly difficult in practice. Having sight settings, and being confident that you can get each setting dialed in before the next animal is HUGE.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I had to LOL when I read this!

No truer words than this post- having a scope with RELIABLE and REPEATABLE tracking is one of the most important factors in NRA smallbore silhouette, in my opinion. I use Sightron SIIBS6-24x42Silhouette, Leupold VX3i 6.5x20x42 EFR, and a Leupold FX3 30X fixed scope for silhouette.

Case in point to demonstrate what can happen. Several years ago, when I was first starting out shooting silhouette, I had set my rifle up for the 4 distances of NRA smallbore silhouette in meters at my own practice range. I estimated the distances with a laser rangefinder, then measured them precisely and drove heavy pipe into the ground at 40, 60, 77, & 100 meters, where I would place my swinger targets, and dialed in several times for center hits on a 6” round Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C Target. I had a dope card affixed to the flip cap on my ocular. I went with some shooting buddies to a match at a local club. I arrived a little later than my friends and only had time to test shoot at chickens and pigs. My rifle at the time was a CZ 452 Varmint with Sightron 6-24 Silo scope. It’s extremely accurate and was hitting perfect at 40 & 60 off the bench, so I figured I was good to go.
I was placed in the group that started the match at chickens, and was shooting fine for chickens, javelinas (pigs) and turkeys. I was not shooting “great”, but the misses
were all “me”. I had confidence in the rifle- which is paramount.
When I got to Rams, I missed every single shot.
I didn’t find out until AFTER the match, that the club had set up rams at 100 YARDS, not meters. The difference of 9 yards was enough to make me wing all of my shots just over the back of the ram but I did not figure that out until after the fact. Just goes to show how one simple difference in distance can hurt you.

DrG
Old 04-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Bowman26
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steyrsteyrsteyr View Post
I got a .22LR rifle and a 6-24x optic in hope of doing something like NRL22, but I can't find anything in my area, so I looked in to smallbore silhouette and my rifle meets hunter class and it seems like a lot of fun! I've tried reading as much as possible and practicing in my home dry firing.

( If your rifle is good for hunter it is also good for standard or open class, 1 rifle covers both)

How to put my hand on the forend is really messing with my head, I hate palm facing up, fist, I thought I liked thumb on trigger guard and rest it on my fingers...the range RO suggested resting it in the V of my thumb and index finger and that seemed to be very comfortable to me.

( This is very subjective to each shooter and I've seen them all used. I use split finger between index and middle finger. I find the other finger tips out thumb on the trigger guard or flat handing under the stock hold to be lacking if you have any crosswind on the line. You want it to rest solidly in your hand and form as much of a stable triangle between stock, elbow and shoulder)

I have a very hard time keeping the sight still, is it best to inhale, completely exhale and when it lowers on to the target take the shot?

(Best to inhale slowly exhale and if possible shoot between heart beats. Some people like coming up from the bottom and some the top. Personally I come down from the top or in from the side depending on conditions. Something HUGE that needs to be considered is your natural point of aim and foot placement. If you are forcing your torso to twist to get on target that is not good. Set your feet and point the rifle at a target, then close your eyes and open them and see where you are looking IE off to the right or left. Then adjust a foot slightly by opening or closing a bit, this can be a minimal as a small rotation on one heel. Repeat closed eye and see if you are still on the same line as the target. Once you have the natural relaxed point of aim set then it is just a matter of the up and down motion as discussed about breathing into the shoot up and down. One other thing is scope magnification if your hold sucks which most peoples do at first until you get more muscle memory using a higher magnification can make it seem like the target will never settle and it won't because your hold isn't there yet) NPA is crutial.

I feel like I get very anxious and I take shots I shouldn't have.

(Welcome to the club. If you are watching and waiting for the sight picture to be perfect and you JUMP on the trigger it is usually to late. The shot needs to become an automatic response when the eye see the sights on the target.)

So, my first time trying to shoot in a silhouette position I only got five hits out of 15 on a paper target of the exact size of the chicken at 40m. I did awful, but the good news is I can only go up from here!

(I started with a Remington Semi Auto rifle I did a trigger job on, AKA a nice squirrel hunting gun and shot a 8/40 IIRC. but it was enough to hook me and watching a few Master shooters shoot 35/40 or more was like a challenge for me. I upgraded to a CZ452 with a trigger job I did on it until I got to AAA and then I got a custom 1712 and 54.18 MSR so there was no excuse for a missed shot anymore Now I am Master Class in one SB rifle and one M score from the other rilfe. Took several years and lots of shooting to get there so keep up the practice and it will pay off)

Did anyone else do as bad as me when they first tried? Have any tips? Should I practice forming muscle memory for being on target? I will be attending my first competition in March.
UGH my replies to your questions ended up above mixed with your original post I quoted sorry. ( Sounds like you need to just do hold drills to get your muscles up to speed along with your NPA, after awhile you get to the point you can shoulder the rifle and be on target and then just a quick NPA adjustment and your good. Also, once you set your feet try not to move them except to rotate on a heel as you move down the 5 targets as the NPA will not be the same for the entire bank.)

Last edited by Bowman26; 04-17-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:33 PM
PAndy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Best part about my first few silhouette matches was how the match directors and experienced shooters helped me out so I could get in the action without too much stress or hassles.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:18 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
Best part about my first few silhouette matches was how the match directors and experienced shooters helped me out so I could get in the action without too much stress or hassles.
Yes! I’ve found silhouette shooters to be a very welcoming and helpful bunch.
The guy next to me at a match 2 years ago was using a Marlin semi auto and had repeated FTF problems. I loaned him my backup rifle, a CZ 452 Silhouette with Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x42 silhouette scope. I supplied him with SK Rifle Match ammo. He had a much better time shooting a bolt action... and mailed me a Cabelas gift card in thanks.

Silhouette is technically tough enough, and we could all use all the help we can get.
In my area, there are fewer and fewer clubs running matches, so I do everything I can to foster interest in the sport.

DrGunner
Old Today, 05:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
75% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Silhouette is technically tough enough, and we could all use all the help we can get.
In my area, there are fewer and fewer clubs running matches, so I do everything I can to foster interest in the sport.

DrGunner
Isn't that the truth?
I've shot a total of two rifle silhouette matches for score... I think I got a 14 with my 10/22 and years later tried again with an Anshutz and got 16.

Both attempts send me scurrying back to my smallbore UAS ways... where I could get frustrated hitting that 40th target.
Looks like I'll be headed back to rifle silhouette now in the Houston area, thanks to the availability of local matches.

Looks like there's a match coming in in June out in New Braunfels... organized by none other than Mark Pharr!
That'll be worth the three hour drive by itself!

Fingers crossed....

Last edited by JPR; Today at 05:07 PM.
Old Today, 08:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
... Looks like I'll be headed back to rifle silhouette now in the Houston area, thanks to the availability of local matches...
Howdy.

Luckily Houston has lots of silhouette matches to scratch that itch!

BRI (Addicks range) has restarted matches this month and has:
  • Air rifle - first Sunday of the month
  • Smallbore - second Saturday
  • Lever-action - third Sunday

PSC down in Friendswood will restart matches in June and has smallbore the fourth Saturday and lever-action some other weekend (can't remember).

Also, Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beamont (~1.5 hours east) has smallbore on the first Saturday but I don't know if they've restarted yet.

If you have any other questions feel free to send me an email or private message.