Help with Weaver T 36X adjustment - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:27 PM
hydrojohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help with Weaver T 36X adjustment

Just acquired an older T 36X scope to put on my target rimfire. Can anyone point me to where there is a good description of how to adjust windage and elevation.
Plan to shoot some silhouette so better get it figured out. Finding an owners manual would be nice.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Bdwbiggdogg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's just like any other scope I'm sure .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2021, 10:42 AM
hydrojohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know the proceedure but the way weaver marks the turrets makes it difficult to keep track of adjustments and then return to prior settings. I would hope the owners manual or a detailed description by a user would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2021, 10:56 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrojohn View Post
I know the proceedure but the way weaver marks the turrets makes it difficult to keep track of adjustments and then return to prior settings. I would hope the owners manual or a detailed description by a user would help.
Easy to solve, zero the scope at the common yardage you will shoot and then reset the turrets to the zero marking.
this way getting back to your original setting is simply going back to zero mark.

Lee
Old 11-25-2021, 11:36 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Just acquired an older T 36X scope to put on my target rimfire. Can anyone point me to where there is a good description of how to adjust windage and elevation.
Plan to shoot some silhouette so better get it figured out. Finding an owners manual would be nice.
Sir to start with you should recenter the crosshairs even before you get started by putting the scope on a mirror and you will see how far from center the reticle is.

Adjust the crosshairs so you only see one crosshair for windage and elevation. When done if both turret caps are not back to zero then remove the caps and set them to zero. Your now back to factory zero.

I just got a new to me scope and the person before me recentered the turrets caps for his zero marking at the range he was shooting. It's easy and only takes a few minutes to adjust everything.

The Weaver T series scopes are 1/8" MOA so each click is 1/8" at 100 yards. So you should be fine to adjust right or left and any elevation you need. I don't know how much experience you have with scopes so I started from the basics. I hope this helps.

Good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 11-25-2021, 11:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Fwiw, I shoot annually at an invitational 22Lr 200yd silhouette match (the sil's are scaled properly for 200yds).
My sil-rifle is initially -0-ed for the 50yd chicks, everything else is up from there and in my Sil-Notebook (a requirement for me, old guy memory). Windage is a tweak one way or the other, the real adj is the elev. I dont even bother with noting the windage, I have my sight-in -0-, the adjuster -0-'ed to that and that it; adjust as needed a bit and always easy to return to -0-.
Practically though, the pigs dont take any change in setting to knock down but you have to go through them to get to the turkeys, which most definitly need elev.
And about that much again to get the rams.
We all shoot std velo low-mid grade 'target' ammo. Dont even bother with HV except perhaps to get some initial play time and sight settings (so you arent just blowing away the good stuff). Always finish/fine tune the settings with the ammo you will be using for the match.
Btw, as much as you prep on your 'home range' do not expect everything to be the same at a match (dif range, dif day, dif conditions, etc). ALWAYS use any allowed sight-in period at a match.

Last edited by gcrank1; 11-25-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:17 PM
hydrojohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To Signalman. Never heard of the mirror trick before to get back to zero. I have always cranked it all the way one way and then count all the way back the other way.
Divide by two and click back that many to get centered. Do you need to remove the scope to use the mirror? Where does the mirror go?
Old 11-25-2021, 03:33 PM
deuce deuce

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best way to zero with minimal shots. Put rifle on a solid rest and shoot at 25 yds. put rifle back on center of target and dial your crosshairs to where your bullet hit. Now your point of aim and point of impact are the same.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:18 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5vu_tKl3o

After setting zero, I use Burris Signature Rings and a set of inserts to get the set zero as close to the center of the reticle as possible (to POI) at the beginning of the scope sight in. This keeps the accuracy factor of the scope adjustments well within a trouble free zone.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100885631/

Last edited by ammohog; 11-25-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:56 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman View Post
Sir to start with you should recenter the crosshairs even before you get started by putting the scope on a mirror and you will see how far from center the reticle is.
Signalman
Geez, been shooting for 45 yrs.... learn something new every day...
Old 11-26-2021, 09:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Lots of info online on the 'mirror trick' (just the thing, new Tricks for Old Dogs)
It saves the rather delicate internal adjusters from premature damage; ie, scope adjusters/reticles dont like to be taken to the extreme ends. If you must, be very careful when getting to the 'end' to go slowly and stop at the first hint of the end of travel.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
To Signalman. Never heard of the mirror trick before to get back to zero. I have always cranked it all the way one way and then count all the way back the other way.
Divide by two and click back that many to get centered. Do you need to remove the scope to use the mirror? Where does the mirror go?
No it will work even with the scope bolted on the rifle. You will need to borrow the wife's cosmetic mirror just so long as it covers the whole Objective end of the scope. Look through the eye piece and you will see two crosshairs. Adjust the turrets until you only see one and your centered. Then check to see where the markings are on the turret caps to the scope housing if its right at zero then no one has ever removed the turrets for their zero...if they are not at zero then remove the turret caps and reset them to zero and you're done.

I do mine on the table with the scope sitting on top of a mirror it so easy to do that way. Hang on I will go take a quick picture so you can see what I am talking about.

Signalman

Last edited by Signalman; 11-26-2021 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added a picture
Old 11-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
That's not a reliable way to reset the crosshairs to the midpoint. I used to do that, too, till I found a scope that would keep on clicking 'way past the point where the crosshairs stopped moving.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:34 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5vu_tKl3o

After setting zero, I use Burris Signature Rings and a set of inserts to get the set zero as close to the center of the reticle as possible (to POI) at the beginning of the scope sight in. This keeps the accuracy factor of the scope adjustments well within a trouble free zone.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100885631/
That's the way I do it too. All my scopes are mounted in Burris Signature rings for that reason, and also because the plastic inserts completely eliminate the possibility of ring marks.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While it's been several decades since I bought a T-36 and the manuals are long gone, I do have the "Instructions for Weaver T-Series XR Riflescopes" sheet for a T-46 I picked up a few years ago. If you could still use it I could scan it and email it to you. It does have directions to reset to zero, although I'm not sure the old T-36's can do this.

While great quality glass for the price, this isn't really a good scope to shoot multiple distances with . . .

EDIT: Images posted, apologies for the quality.

Last edited by Rider47; 11-26-2021 at 03:39 PM.