Series 1400 Match 54 Scope Blocks - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:39 AM
hydrojohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Series 1400 Match 54 Scope Blocks

Can someone clear up for me if the Match 54 rifles manufactured during the late 1960's to mid 1970's come out of the factory with scope blocks mounted to the barrels. I am mostly interested in the 1410, 1411 and 1413 series. I mostly see them with the scope blocks but then also dovetails cut into the top of the receiver.
However, I have seen a few without the scope blocks on the barrel. Can someone please educate me. Thankyou
Old 11-24-2021, 11:53 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Series 1400 Match 54 Scope Blocks

This is more of an semi educated guess

The blocks you referred to are for two deferent reasons. It depends on how many are on the rifle I think.

My 1411 originally had several of these blocks or holes drilled for these blocks.
On my 1411 match 54 They serve two functions

1- to mount the peel sights it came factory with
2- optional mounts for the then exceptionally long external adjustable target scopes of the day.

Example

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

Last edited by PEASHOOTER67; 11-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
My 1970s 1411 had the blocks and a fully grooved receiver (unlike older versions where just the rear section was grooved, that being solely for a peep sight.)
I preferred to use the more modern type of scope, mounted on the receiver groove, but at one time, I also had a 16x Unertl on the blocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2021, 01:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrojohn View Post
Can someone clear up for me if the Match 54 rifles manufactured during the late 1960's to mid 1970's come out of the factory with scope blocks mounted to the barrels. I am mostly interested in the 1410, 1411 and 1413 series. I mostly see them with the scope blocks but then also dovetails cut into the top of the receiver.
However, I have seen a few without the scope blocks on the barrel. Can someone please educate me. Thankyou
John,

From 1964-ish, the default for a 1410/1411/1413 (the heavy barrel models) was a fully grooved receiver and three blocks on the barrel -two for a target 'scope and one for the foresight tunnel. Older rifles were only grooved behind the breech for the rear aperture sight. No idea what caused the change, as target scopes of this era were barrel mounted. Anschutz fitted 'scope blocks as standard well into the 1980s, and then only D&T'd barrels for blocks.

The lighter ISU barrels weren't routinely fitted with blocks, but I've seen more than a few, so I think it may have been a factory option.

As for '60s/'70s era barrels without blocks, my guess is that some past owner removed these.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The holes should be there

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 11-24-2021, 05:05 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think the grooved reciever on both sides of the loading port started in 1968. The early ones were grooved only at the rear making modern scope mounting a little more challenging. Most of the early target 54's are not drilled in the receiver for scope mounting, and the surface of the receiver is hardened requiring spot annealing to drill.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 06:11 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
My 1407 1973 model has no barrel blocks for the scope, only a grooved receiver. No holes drilled and tapped for same. Never been there. Barrel is original to the rifle.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:10 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
My 1407 1973 model has no barrel blocks for the scope, only a grooved receiver. No holes drilled and tapped for same. Never been there. Barrel is original to the rifle.
1973 is after the popularity of the long tube external adjustment scopes, so that makes sense.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUGL4X'SC View Post
I think the grooved reciever on both sides of the loading port started in 1968. The early ones were grooved only at the rear making modern scope mounting a little more challenging.

No, it was a few years before that. The change occurred at about the same time as the bolt went from a flat end cap to a convex cap. It was around 1964.

Don't be surprised that the receiver wasn't drilled and tapped? How many receiver mounted target 'scopes were actually available in the 1950s and '60s?
Old 11-24-2021, 07:32 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think the grooved reciever on both sides of the loading port started in 1968. The early ones were grooved only at the rear making modern scope mounting a little more challenging. Most of the early target 54's are not drilled in the receiver for scope mounting, and the surface of the receiver is hardened requiring spot annealing to drill.
The rear only grooved receivers were produced until 1964. By 1965 both in front and to the rear of the loading port had dovetail grooves.

To add a curiosity parenthetically, the first Anschutz Model 54 Super Match seems to have had dovetail grooves fore and aft of the loading area. This model, which may have been a prototype of sorts, was largely a reproduction of the original Mauser design for a target rifle, itself grooved in front and rear.

Neither early or mid or late production Match 54 (single shot) target rifles have been factory drilled and tapped for scope mounting. That's been done on later sporters, 54s and 64s.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
The rear only grooved receivers were produced until 1964. By 1965 both in front and to the rear of the loading port had dovetail grooves.

To add a curiosity parenthetically, the first Anschutz Model 54 Super Match seems to have had dovetail grooves fore and aft of the loading area. This model, which may have been a prototype of sorts, was largely a reproduction of the original Mauser design for a target rifle, itself grooved in front and rear.

Neither early or mid or late production Match 54 (single shot) target rifles have been factory drilled and tapped for scope mounting. That's been done on later sporters, 54s and 64s.
Now it could be a left over 1964 receiver, but my 1965 1411 has only the rear grooved DT, it also had a single extractor bolt and I have seen other 1965 54's with dual setups.

Lee
Old 11-25-2021, 05:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Mine is a 68 or 69 only groves back half.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:48 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine was made in 1966 and has the two barrel blocks as well as block for the foresight, along with the grooved receiver on both side of the loading port?
Old 11-25-2021, 07:46 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
John,

From 1964-ish, the default for a 1410/1411/1413 (the heavy barrel models) was a fully grooved receiver and three blocks on the barrel -two for a target 'scope and one for the foresight tunnel. Older rifles were only grooved behind the breech for the rear aperture sight. No idea what caused the change, as target scopes of this era were barrel mounted. Anschutz fitted 'scope blocks as standard well into the 1980s, and then only D&T'd barrels for blocks.

The lighter ISU barrels weren't routinely fitted with blocks, but I've seen more than a few, so I think it may have been a factory option.

As for '60s/'70s era barrels without blocks, my guess is that some past owner removed these.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
No, it was a few years before that. The change occurred at about the same time as the bolt went from a flat end cap to a convex cap. It was around 1964.

Don't be surprised that the receiver wasn't drilled and tapped? How many receiver mounted target 'scopes were actually available in the 1950s and '60s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discontinued View Post
Mine was made in 1966 and has the two barrel blocks as well as block for the foresight, along with the grooved receiver on both side of the loading port?
My 1966 rifle has both the grooved receiver and the target blocks as well . . . .

which is good, because I like options!
Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEASHOOTER67 View Post
Mine is a 68 or 69 only groves back half.
That very unusual specimen would be a sight to see.