Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:35 AM
briano
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help with race pistol

Hello All,
Need help putting together a MK IV for local matches.
I have a MK III Hunter that is for plinking and squirrel hunting.
I thought I would put a Holosun 407c on my race gun but not sure which would do better the Target 5.5 threaded or the 22/45 lite.
Any thoughts, pictures would be great of your setup.
Thanks
Briano
Old 11-18-2021, 05:30 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I like the 22/45. It swings better from target to target then the heavier model. Mine has a C-More red dot with a 12 MOA dot on it. The Holosun is a great sight as well.

I have a Volquartsen Accurizing kit and bolt, a Tandemkross Victory Trigger and a Cornerstone Safety that i got from Tandemkross.

I like the TK Game Changer Pro compensator, It's made of steel and is easy to keep clean. I also use a Carolina Crusher. It almost never needs cleaning.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:13 AM
briano

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks your setup looks great.
Transition advice from target to target is well taken. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2021, 11:03 AM
jazzsax8

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
for me

Be aware that the TacSol 6" is only 1/2 ounce heavier than the Ruger Lite 4 1/2" at 9 ounces. The downside is it might react more in the wind and not play as well with a long suppressor. Open sights would be superior along with extra velocity. This comparison is for my Mark III.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:12 AM
Rocinante
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recommend this:

Old 11-19-2021, 11:47 PM
lasnyder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just a comment about the sights..I have a 507c and two 510s... for competition that requires fast swing to targets like Steel Challenge, I find that the large view window of the 510 allows me to track the dot better...

I'm not an optical physicist , but my understanding of the process is that the rear of the lens surface is concave and slanted top to bottom, which allows the partially mirrored lens to reflect the projected dot so it can remain centered in the field of view while the scope chassis (attached to the pistol)can be adjusted to move vertically and horizontally so that the point of aim is matched to point of impact... the larger the lens, the less amount of curvature needed, and easier to find the dot as it appears to be centered better than the smaller lens models

the Holosun shake awake function appears to produce a brighter dot than does the manually controlled function outdoors here in Florida ... regards
Old 11-20-2021, 11:53 AM
mostly22lately
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briano View Post
Hello All,
Need help putting together a MK IV for local matches.
Any thoughts, pictures would be great of your setup.
Thanks
Briano
As you consider the many options, here is some data that wasn't otherwise available in one place when I did the same type investigation. Might save you some time. These weights are actual as-measured data.

On the Mk IV Target, the barreled receiver ['upper' with no rail and Williams sights] weighs:

19.1 oz (yes, nineteen point one)

The factory bolt plus the TK Halo weighs:

5.4 oz

The lower, with Altamont low profile wood grips weighs:

10.6 oz

To compare:

A 22/45 lower I have here, with Hogue overmold type grips, weighs:

8.7 oz

So, the 22/45 lower vs the aluminum lower is only around 2 ozs less than the polymer, and that's in your hand, and within the margin of the weight delta of a full vs empty mag.

All the bolts for the Mk IV are going to be from 5.1 oz to 5.5 oz so that's not a huge delta.

For some other numbers to consider ...

The 'lite' 4.5" uppers with factory sights and a short rail together weigh:

~9.9 oz

A 4.5" VQ LLV4 upper with factory sights plus their compensator weighs:

13.4 oz

Clearly the major weight differences on the 22/45 Lite type pistols versus the others is in the barrel.

Before I did this breakdown I figured the frames were a bigger contributor. Nope.

The grip angle difference however is another topic which is much more subjective than weight.

Last edited by mostly22lately; 11-20-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:24 PM
briano

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasnyder View Post
just a comment about the sights..I have a 507c and two 510s... for competition that requires fast swing to targets like Steel Challenge, I find that the large view window of the 510 allows me to track the dot better...

I'm not an optical physicist , but my understanding of the process is that the rear of the lens surface is concave and slanted top to bottom, which allows the partially mirrored lens to reflect the projected dot so it can remain centered in the field of view while the scope chassis (attached to the pistol)can be adjusted to move vertically and horizontally so that the point of aim is matched to point of impact... the larger the lens, the less amount of curvature needed, and easier to find the dot as it appears to be centered better than the smaller lens models

the Holosun shake awake function appears to produce a brighter dot than does the manually controlled function outdoors here in Florida ... regards
Could you post so pics of your setups.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:16 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MK4 Lite, aluminum MK4 lower, Lite upper (came from the factory that way, model 43922). VQ accurizing kit, Holosun 507C-X2 on Lobos mount, iron sights removed. TK Game Changer Pro and Halo charging ring. VQ grips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK4Lite_Finishy.jpg (503.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 08:23 PM
lasnyder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Briano... the MKIV Lite has Striplin thumb and safety paddles with a TandemKross rubber grip... I don't normally like rubber grips, but this one fits me well... Volquartsen trigger upgrade, VQ adjustable recoil spring with lightest spring installed, and VQ wire EDM extractor.... Holosun 510c, and barrel weight as I did not like the feel with a comp and as original... I picked up a VQ 5.5" take off barrel and added a TacSol fiber optic sight for "irons" division... opened up the sight blade a little...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 (22).jpg (467.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by lasnyder; 11-21-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:25 PM
lasnyder

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pic of the rimfire pistol irons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (435.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 09:24 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Then, if you want to really go all the way add a Volqluartson LLV 4 upper with either 4.5 or 6 inch barrel. Here's mine with 6 inch. VQ accurizing Kit and Bolt with their extractor and firing pin, Cornerstone Safety, Striplin Thumb Rest, Volquartsen Fiber Optic Front Sight and Competition Rear. I occasionally use a C-More Railway Red Dot Sight, StonerCNC.com grips.

Trigger is set at 1 pound 7 ounces averaged on my Lyman Digital Scale.

This is my primary Steel Challenge pistol.

I love the Mark IV, there are so many upgrades. The trick is to know when to stop.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am a fan of the 22/45 also. This is my version although a MK III. I have added a halo ring since this photo was taken.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:01 AM
briano

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all like the pics and advice I think for me shooting bullseye and steel I think the target with a Holosun 507c plus some trigger work will be a great fit. Thanks all and keep the pics and custom add-on coming like hearing what works for others.