Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:13 PM
carbine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is this Unertl now junk?

Can the Unertl guys help me out with this scope please. I'm looking at buying a Winchester 52E that has a Unertl 20X mounted on it. I hesitated after seeing "Bubba" must have owned it previously and had his way with the pretty little Unertl. There are several scars in the steel on the objective end and when I tried to adjust the parallax by sliding the ring fore and aft, it wouldn't budge. Locked up. Looking closer, I'm betting Bubba tried to turn the objective tube (like a modern scope ) using pliers or something similar which created the scars. Makes me sick just to think of it, especially since the rest of the scope looks factory new.

My questions to you are -

1) Why is the adjusting ring not moving fore and aft? Are the screws on that ring possibly tightened to make it unable to move? The Unertl I own slides easily.

2) What would those scars do to the value of it? I would think a collector wouldn't touch it, so what value can the scope retain as a "shooter grade" if it's mechanically OK?

Thanks in advance. The gun is on hold for me until I figure this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U1.jpg (284.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg u2.jpg (282.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:11 AM
carbineone
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do not know on the rest, but those marks are not too terrible and I think they could be removed and restored back to near undetectable..Can the piece with the gouges be removed? If so I would remove them in my lathe and reblue..
Old 11-18-2021, 08:30 AM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There could be a couple of issues with that scope. More than likely the rings were over tightened and locked it up. Does the small "lock" ring turn? If you can get it to move you should be able to turn the adjustment ring. You may want to invest in a small rubber strap wrench to help out on this. You may want to use a hollow ground screw driver and back out the three screws just a little to see if that will help. Be careful putting any type of penetrant on the threads as you don't want it to get inside the scope body. If you absolutely are unable to get the adjustment rings to turn I would send it to a repair facility before you do any real damage to it. The damage on the scope now isn't that bad and you don't want to make it worse. You could just touch it up a bit.

Rick H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2021, 12:48 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both of the locking rings, front and back of the adjusting ring do turn freely. I moved them away from the adjuster but still could not get the ring to slide forward or backward whatsoever. Frozen in place. I don't think the store will allow me to use a screwdriver to loosen the 3 screws a bit unfortunately. Sounds like it could be corrosion or dried gunk inside the adjuster ring locking it up? The 3 screws on it are not meant to lock it in place I assume.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:43 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (72)
My guess about the damage on the front edge is that some one used pliers to remove the screw in lens cap that most old scopes had. When screwed in not much is there to grab so bubba got out the plumbing tools.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:05 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Might explain why the caps were missing too.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:12 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What do you guys think the value of the scope is with the Bubba marks, if I am able to free up the stuck ring? Figure about half of what the scope would bring if the damage was not there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scope.jpg (232.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 01:27 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (72)
2/3's. 20X is worth more than the more common lower powers. Spring in place is worth more. Other than the scarred front the scope looks to be in better than average condition.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:59 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
2/3's. 20X is worth more than the more common lower powers. Spring in place is worth more. Other than the scarred front the scope looks to be in better than average condition.
Agree with Hush on the scope, looks to be VERY nice other than that.... I have a one (also a 20X) that is not quite as nice overall as the one pictured, but then mine doesn't have that bit of scarring on the front end. That 52 looks "purty good OK" as well. My CMP 52 looks like it was dragged behind a truck compared to that one Are you trying to buy the package deal?
Old 11-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine View Post
What do you guys think the value of the scope is with the Bubba marks, if I am able to free up the stuck ring? Figure about half of what the scope would bring if the damage was not there?
In answer to your question, no the value of the scope is not half of what it would be without the marks in place. 10% maybe give or take, but not half. The rest of the scope looks too nice. As to the value of the scope in todays market well that is for the market to decide. Value of Unertl scopes is like value of of anything else collectable today. It is all over the place and depends on how bad a potential buyer may want something. From a personal standpoint I could over look the marks on the scope if the rest of the scope including image was perfect, but people are crazy sometimes and give stupid money for stuff. The type of reticle the scope has in it will also add or subtract from the value. The scope you have in my world would bring a grand or a bit more.

I gather this is a potential buy for you with the rifle, but you don't say what the price is. That's important information to figure out an answer to your question. Are you thinking of buying the rifle and scope and then separating the scope to sell it or are you going to keep it on the rifle? Together the combination looks great and I would never separate them, but that's just me. It's a package that together has a story to tell even with the marks on the scope bell.

It's been a while since I had to do anything with any of the Unertl scopes I own, but I thought one could tighten the three screws and lock the adjustment in place so it couldn't be inadvertently moved. Memory and age cloud things up sometimes, but this was done for guys that only shot at one distance. One could also add or lessen resistance to the scope adjustment via these screws. I guess if the seller won't let you check the tightness of the screws it is a guess if that is the issue here. If nothing else check to make sure the scope "bell" isn't deformed in any way as to impede movement. If it is deformed or bent out of round that would definitely change things for the bad. The easiest way I can think of to check for an out of round condition would be with a micrometer or trying to screw in a scope cap if you have or can find one. In any event good luck with this...

Rick H.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:36 AM
Kurt701
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unertl

1.The inability to adjust the parallax could be caused by dry grease. A careful application of a heat gun may soften the grease.
2. Examine the leading edge of the bell holding the objective lens. Is it bent or just scratched. Some shooter leave the scopes mounted and scrap the bell on objects. Most shooters use a little bipod to rest rifle between strings.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:04 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the owner's manual for the Unertl scope in a pdf file. I you will send me an email address, I can send that to you. If you read the instructions for adjusting the parallax by using the two rings on the objective, you will find that the instructions state that if the three screws (which hold the objective cell in place) are overly tightened, the entire adjustment assembly can be locked up.

If I was you, I would back off slightly on those three screws, take a hair dryer and heat the assembly a bit and try adjusting the parallax. The rear ring should be backed off and the front ring turned so as to slide or push the tube (with the objective cell attached inside) slightly to the rear. Then reverse the process by loosening the front ring off and using the rear ring to try sliding the objective cell to the front. Remember that parallax is adjusted by sliding the front objective assembly or cell in one direction or another to achieve proper parallax adjustment.

If that doesn't work, you can do what I did: put a small amount of penetrating oil like Kroil around the ends of the sliding objective tube, let is sit for awhile, and heat the sliding tube with the hair dryer and give it another go. A combination of the three screws being over tightened and/or hardened lube is most likely your issue. I had a Unertl that required these steps to free up. No problem with the penetrating oil getting on the lenses, but I used it sparingly.

As to the damage on the front of the objective, that can cleaned up and then touched up with some good cold blue. I have the identical scope in 2" 20x on and E and this is one of my favorite combinations. These scopes in functioning condition are worth some money if what they sell for is any indication.

James

Last edited by pump .22s; 11-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Keep in mind at all times this is a precision optical instrument!
Be gentle with heat, the lenses are old school and the 'adhesive' holding them in place can let go; not sure about how heat affects the lens laminations either.
A strap wrench is far better than garage/plumbing tools! But still places a pressure point during the tightening action. I have used different 'grippy' materials so I can get a good hand-grab, bicycle inner-tube, kitchen cabinet liner, a circular kitchen lid-grip; be creative...and smart.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:56 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it! It's how I learn. I am on my phone at work so will be short, but yes, this is a package deal. Gun and scope are $1600. Scope looks absolutely like new other than already mentioned. Standard crosshairs far as I can tell. Rifle looks new
excepting a ding on barrel at muzzle end not on crown, and a dinger in the wood that I can live with just fine. I wanted it as a companion to my mint in box 52E with 16x unertl that is almost too nice to shoot. Thought I could shoot hell out of this one without fear of putting a mark on it and it would be my shooter. I have a separate post about this rig before I saw it in the flesh. I had it shipped from cabelas out of state. I can refuse or keep gun, whatever I decide.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:03 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't anticipate the problems with the scope, so what I initially thought of as a great deal has me now wondering if it's even worth the price. Beautiful rig before Bubba got his paws on it. Hardly used.