Dry fire S&W 63-4? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2021, 10:36 AM
Mxylplyk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dry fire S&W 63-4?

Will this hurt the weapon? Do drywall anchors really protect the firing pin?
Old 11-15-2021, 11:05 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, good drywall anchors do protect the firing pin, you just have to rotate them so you aren't beating up one spot on the drywall anchor. The drywall anchors that I have been using are the Hillman yellow 4-6-8 x 7/8 that I was ordering from Amazon on the cheap, but the last ones I got from them have been cheapened and have a very thin rim and I doubt that they would offer adequate protection. Smith & Wesson does not recommend dry-firing their rim-fire revolvers.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:25 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spent brass are a good alternative to the drywall anchors. To be honest I'll use either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2021, 03:45 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxylplyk View Post
Will this hurt the weapon? Do drywall anchors really protect the firing pin?
Do not dry fire any gun, especially rimfires. It's not just about the tip of the firing pin, but the firing pin stop or hammer hitting it's end of travel un-cushioned, possibly mushrooming that area,etc..
(If you were hit an actual construction hammer against another one enough times, I think magnafluxing would show some crystallization, and that sort of thing can lead to breakage in all kinds of parts.

Anchors are fine, if you don't overuse them and rotate them to a fresh area.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:14 AM
Ysrracer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post

Do not dry fire any gun, especially rimfires. It's not just about the tip of the firing pin, but the firing pin stop or hammer hitting it's end of travel un-cushioned, possibly mushrooming that area,etc..
(If you were hit an actual construction hammer against another one enough times, I think magnafluxing would show some crystallization, and that sort of thing can lead to breakage in all kinds of parts.

Truthfully I've fired centerfire pistols thousands of times, and so far nothing has broken.

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying it hasn't happened yet.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:26 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Do not dry fire any gun, especially rimfires.
I guess manufacturers that state it's fine are wrong.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:10 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Dry firing of any modern centerfire pistol is generally considered fine (even per manufacturers.) Some say it's similarly ok with modern rimfires. I'm not on board with that as a general rule (although I believe it's OK on certain makes/models). The problem with rimfires is that you can not only damage the firing pin, but you can damage the rim of the chamber as well.
Bottom line is that size 4-6 wall anchors (which I use in ALL 8 of my .22 revolvers) are $4/100 and cheap insurance. Should you choose toe dryfire your valuable model 34, you could end up with a damaged gun / Three figure repair bill. Why chance it?
Old 11-18-2021, 03:22 PM
BobCole
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Should you choose toe dryfire your valuable model 34, you could end up with a damaged gun / Three figure repair bill. Why chance it?

This.

I don't dryfire ANY of my rimfires. Why would I need/want to?
Old 11-20-2021, 10:35 PM
beb42503

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Dry firing of any modern centerfire pistol is generally considered fine (even per manufacturers.) Some say it's similarly ok with modern rimfires. I'm not on board with that as a general rule (although I believe it's OK on certain makes/models). The problem with rimfires is that you can not only damage the firing pin, but you can damage the rim of the chamber as well.
Bottom line is that size 4-6 wall anchors (which I use in ALL 8 of my .22 revolvers) are $4/100 and cheap insurance. Should you choose toe dryfire your valuable model 34, you could end up with a damaged gun / Three figure repair bill. Why chance it?
It may come down to what everyone's idea of a modern rimfire revolver but I have seen numerous Colt .22 revolvers ruined dry firing them. I am talking Colt Official Police era that I have picked up to inspect on gun show tables and viewed the damage. I also seem to recall a S&W 41 that I viewed that dry snaps marked the chamber rim. For that reason alone I just do not like dry firing a .22 with out a empty.