p22q ammo picky ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
507 brett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
p22q ammo picky ?

i have shot a few p22's before i got mine a few months ago and i really havent got to shoot it much but it seems like every time i take it out i have an issue. first off i had an issue with it not blowing back because the slide felt like it had a rough place or something. sent it back, got it a month later supposedly fixed. i shot it a few times with little issues with it not ejecting properly, but i found that that was because of how i was shooting it with a loose grip. got it out the other day and was shooting federal lightnings (which it what ive always shot in pistols) and it would not blow back until the mag was half empty. put some automatch ammo in it and it didnt miss a beat.
the other p22's i have shot would shoot whatever you put in them from match stuff, to minimags, to bulk 555 pack crap. this one seems to be picky as hell. anyone else have an issue like this? what are you guys running through them?
i was told to only shoot high velocity, and i thought that high velocity would blow the slide back better than standard because it has a little more UMPHH, but i guess not ?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
brett, the P22 likes snappy ammo and there isn't much way around it. Mini Mags or Remington Golden bullets for your bulk should have you covered. I use dry, powder moly for my lubricant. No oil on the zinc frame and slide. Your pistol might need a bit of breaking in also. Since your pistol performs with more powerful ammo that will be the solution. I have a very, very smooth P22 but it will not cycle some low velocity target ammo. Federal bulk has long been a problem in the P22. Accurate enough, just not enough power to reliably cycle the slide. I also like to leave my hammer cocked, safety on, in a new P22 for several weeks. Seems to soften the spring just a bit, perhaps not. Keep us posted and try some different ammo. Your pistol will probably loosen up a bit. M1911
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM
507 brett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well mine is doing the opposite of what i thought, it cycles AutoMatch bulk but not Lightning high velocity in 50rd boxes. i do think that some tinkering may be in order to smooth the action out though as it is a pretty new gun. i think it may have 75 rounds through it (or there about). i dont think that there is a big difference in the p22 standard and the p22q, but the ones i shot before mine were the basic p22's and mine is the q. i think the only differences are the grip and the 3 notch rail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM
atwill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My boss recently bought a new P22Q based on my like for my old standard P22. He tried firing Federal bulk(I told him they might be problematic), CCI Blazer bulk, and Winchester bulk through it. He's got about 150 rounds through it with every problem you can imagine. From dozens upon dozens of FTF's to stovepipes to FTE's to being hit in the forehead by the casings. He wanted me to call Walther and "get to the bottom of it". I did as asked and talked to a nice gentleman at Smith & Wesson customer service. He said they only recommend CCI Mini Mags or Velocitors, to make sure the slide is good and oiled(I, like 1911m use dry lube instead of oil), and to put at least 200 rounds through it before you will truly know how it shoots. My boss bought a pack of Minimags last night, and will be trying them out this weekend.

I have modified my P22 using a lot of 1911m's modifications. Mine will shoot any plated or jacketed bullet reliably. it won't do bare lead bullets. Not sure what the big difference on them is. But it shoots just about everything else including plated Federal bulk with almost no problems at all.

I did notice one interesting difference doing a side by side comparison. I noticed that if I put a paperclip against the firing pin to push it forward until the paperclip hits the slide, the old P22's firing pin comes out further on the bullet side then the P22Q. So I'm not sure if the breech block is different, the pin itself, or possibly both. I know the slide is different in appearance, perhaps in dimensions as well.

Last edited by atwill; 06-14-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Richarddbeck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So the P22q is not the greatest "stock" 22 semi auto but it feels the best in your hand. So if you want it to shoot as good as it feels you've got to modify a few things. Below is a playlist I made up with all the mods you need.

Skip the first four videos they are just P22 reviews. If you already own a P22 you don't need to watch reviews... lol

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...7&feature=plcp

Also I included a link to the P22 bible in the video descriptions. You can also just google the P22 bible.

The best bang for your buck is CCI AR Tactical. They are basically bulk CCI mini-mags.

Last edited by Richarddbeck; 06-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwill View Post
My boss recently bought a new P22Q based on my like for my old standard P22. He tried firing Federal bulk(I told him they might be problematic), CCI Blazer bulk, and Winchester bulk through it. He's got about 150 rounds through it with every problem you can imagine. From dozens upon dozens of FTF's to stovepipes to FTE's to being hit in the forehead by the casings. He wanted me to call Walther and "get to the bottom of it". I did as asked and talked to a nice gentleman at Smith & Wesson customer service. He said they only recommend CCI Mini Mags or Velocitors, to make sure the slide is good and oiled(I, like 1911m use dry lube instead of oil), and to put at least 200 rounds through it before you will truly know how it shoots. My boss bought a pack of Minimags last night, and will be trying them out this weekend.

I have modified my P22 using a lot of 1911m's modifications. Mine will shoot any plated or jacketed bullet reliably. it won't do bare lead bullets. Not sure what the big difference on them is. But it shoots just about everything else including plated Federal bulk with almost no problems at all.

I did notice one interesting difference doing a side by side comparison. I noticed that if I put a paperclip against the firing pin to push it forward until the paperclip hits the slide, the old P22's firing pin comes out further on the bullet side then the P22Q. So I'm not sure if the breech block is different, the pin itself, or possibly both. I know the slide is different in appearance, perhaps in dimensions as well.
I'm betting the shoot with minimags will be 100%. Before the next trip do two things. Make sure the boss's firing pin is fully resetting. It should move all the way forward and all the way rearward. It is inertia driven so it must be whacked solidly by the hammer. The next thing to check regarding fail to fire is.....are there firing pin marks on the rim, if not there is some other problem, if so, ammo problem. He also needs to clean the magazines and that means taking them apart and cleaning the inside of them. Remington Goldens for bulk. Regarding poor ejection direction, check to see that he has the new extractor. My late model had the original style in it. I found that pretty ironic. M1911
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Richarddbeck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I'm betting the shoot with minimags will be 100%. Before the next trip do two things. Make sure the boss's firing pin is fully resetting. It should move all the way forward and all the way rearward. It is inertia driven so it must be whacked solidly by the hammer. The next thing to check regarding fail to fire is.....are there firing pin marks on the rim, if not there is some other problem, if so, ammo problem. He also needs to clean the magazines and that means taking them apart and cleaning the inside of them. Remington Goldens for bulk. Regarding poor ejection direction, check to see that he has the new extractor. My late model had the original style in it. I found that pretty ironic. M1911
You bring up a good point in regards to the firing pin reset. I polished my firing pin (made it a little smaller not shorter) This allows it to travel more smoothly even when it's dirty.

In my experience the most common problem is FTF. What if the firing pin would reset to a more rearward position? Could a mod like this enable the firing pin to generate more momentum and impart more energy into the shell casing? This kind of mod would take weight out of the pin increasing acceleration. The extended distance would increase and time. Increasing of time and acceleration will increase total velocity.

The lose of weight is a lose of potential energy but this lose should be less than the gains made by increasing velocity.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 AM
potsu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
recently picked up the new p22-q target model, and since have run a total of 250 rounds so far without one single failure of anything. these are the ammo used
1. federal target grade performance (325 rnd bx.) 40gr solid
2. federal value pack (525 rnd bx.) 36gr hp/plated
3. american eagle 40gr solid

with all these ammo used at random, i never had any problems. i am very happy with this plinker

Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Richarddbeck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsu View Post
recently picked up the new p22-q target model, and since have run a total of 250 rounds so far without one single failure of anything. these are the ammo used
1. federal target grade performance (325 rnd bx.) 40gr solid
2. federal value pack (525 rnd bx.) 36gr hp/plated
3. american eagle 40gr solid

with all these ammo used at random, i never had any problems. i am very happy with this plinker

You need to send that back to Walther so they can make all the P22 like yours. If all the P22 where like yours we wouldn't have to mod ours...
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure would like to see so good, sharp, well lit pictures of the inside of the new BC models.....Extractor cut at chamber, chamfer job at chamber, trigger bar ears, underside of breech block, etc. M1911
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
potsu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richarddbeck View Post
You need to send that back to Walther so they can make all the P22 like yours. If all the P22 where like yours we wouldn't have to mod ours...
dont need to send it back....its made from walther the new p22q
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM
potsu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Sure would like to see so good, sharp, well lit pictures of the inside of the new BC models.....Extractor cut at chamber, chamfer job at chamber, trigger bar ears, underside of breech block, etc. M1911
since this thread is reffering to only ammo on the new p22q
i may just have to start a new thread on my new p22q including the pics you would like to see, so every p22 owners could all have a say so on this new particular model. used to own one a few yars ago complete kit with 5" conv. greyish blue in color.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
POC_72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife's P22Q shoots the cheap stuff really well, over 1000 rounds with very little problems!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 PM
507 brett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
since posting this thread i have polished the ears one the trigger piece, polished the feed ramp and the hammer. took it out today and it ran fed. automatches perfectly but still wont blow back with fed. lightning..
i dont have a problem with shooting automatch ammo since that is what my 10/22's like and i buy it anyway, but i was hoping that this walther would shoot whatever i put in it like the old ones that i have witnessed shooting 555 pack junk ammo right out of the box. oh well.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your pistol might need a little more breaking in and then it might run fine. Mine is slick as can be and some federals just don't have the umph to blow the slide back. remington golden bullet bulk runs 100% except for a dud or two every 500 rounds. M1911