Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:28 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Tcomguy1
Model 75 and 67A information wanted

Hello all. First posting.
Picked up my first model 75 last week. It is a target model and serial number 330XX. I am trying to determine the proper sites for this. The rear site is missing and the front has part of a dovetailed base. From research so far I think I need the Winchester rear peep and a hooded front site.
The barrel is coded as 41 and the stock has 2 stampings on it. The side of the butt has A4 and the inside of the grip is either a P, B, or R. The metal is a dark grey/black and not polished blue. The trigger guard is a grey/green coloring possibly phosphate?
I am also looking for advice on proper stock screw and barrel band tensions. Currently a Redfield 75 one piece scope base is on it with steel rings. Planning to put a Burris rimfire scope on it if can't track down sites in a timely manner.

I have several old 52's, 190's, 74's, and a 94/22. Looking at a 490 but price is a little high at $500. I also have been looking at a 67 and 67A. Does the mechanism for a 67 cock with the bolt cycle or is it manual only via the springfield style rear nob? Does it have an ejector or does the extractor just pull casing out of chamber and you do a breech dump by tipping gun over?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:19 AM
Cranky 2
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The models 67 and 67a both have to be cocked manually after closing the bolt. they do eject with a firm pull .
Have a great day
Jay
Old 08-12-2021, 03:13 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Tcomguy1,
Picked up my first model 75 last week. It is a target model and serial number 330XX. I am trying to determine the proper sites for this. The rear site is missing and the front has part of a dovetailed base. From research so far I think I need the Winchester rear peep and a hooded front site.
The barrel is coded as 41 and the stock has 2 stampings on it. The side of the butt has A4 and the inside of the grip is either a P, B, or R. The metal is a dark grey/black and not polished blue. The trigger guard is a grey/green coloring possibly phosphate?

Check your messages, I may be able to help you out on your Winchester 75, I have about half a dozen of them and have one very similar to yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2021, 07:18 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky 2 View Post
The models 67 and 67a both have to be cocked manually after closing the bolt. they do eject with a firm pull .
Have a great day
Jay
Thanks for info. After some thought I am probably not going to get one. I already have a kimber 82, anschutz 54, Win 52, and Remington matchmaster single shot. If it was the rare smoothbore or a 68 then it would go in my stable.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:09 PM
ClarenceAnderson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcomguy1 View Post
Thanks for info. After some thought I am probably not going to get one.
If it's the manual cocking that's holding you up, that's the same reason I've thought long & hard about obtaining a 1904, which I otherwise admire, but have never "pulled the trigger." It's a great safety feature on a boy's rifle, but I'm way too far beyond that stage of life.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:36 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcomguy1 View Post
I am also looking for advice on proper stock screw and barrel band tensions. Currently a Redfield 75 one piece scope base is on it with steel rings. Planning to put a Burris rimfire scope on it if can't track down sites in a timely manner.

I have several old 52's, 190's, 74's, and a 94/22. Looking at a 490 but price is a little high at $500. I also have been looking at a 67 and 67A. Does the mechanism for a 67 cock with the bolt cycle or is it manual only via the springfield style rear nob? Does it have an ejector or does the extractor just pull casing out of chamber and you do a breech dump by tipping gun over?

Thanks for any help.
Here's some info for you, It's a link to a thread I started a while back about my WWII US Property Winchester 75 Training Rifle, by what you've given of your rifles serial number it would seem your rifle and mine are near cousins.
Also check your messages for more info and an additional link.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1189575
Old 08-15-2021, 05:46 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Win 75 site mount pics

Have been having a bit of trouble getting pics uploaded. I don't have internet at home so have sporadic communications. Sorry for any delays. Trying to identify correct rear peep and front site. I have seen some Lymans, Redfields, and unmarked which I think are original Winchester.

ATTACH]266689[/ATTACH]

P1010676 resize.jpg

P1010677 resize.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010674 resize.jpg (43.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:54 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did pick up a 490 last week. It has a Redfield 2-7 scope on it. It is one that was sent back after recall because serial number is followed by an asterisk. I have done a preliminary cleaning and remounted the scope. Now I need to get some time to go to the range to wring it out.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:26 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for everyone's help on the model 75 and 67. Looks like the Lyman 57E and Winchester 93B sights are what I need to look for on the 75. The Colorado gun collectors show is next month in Co. springs and will be checking it out. Still am not clear on whether front sight is hooded. Have seen both ways.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:43 PM
unklchuck
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 75 Target's a little older than yours and out in the safe right now, but if memory serves, the sights are Lymans. Hooded front, target disc rear.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did a little more inspection and have found a 333 number on butt and matching number on plate. However that does not match my serial number. I looked the bolt over and can find no stencilled number. I only see a single digit 3 or 8 stamped on bottom of bolt. I assume that is a inspection stamp. I am anxiously awaiting the upcoming book from JWA on the history of the 75.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:32 PM
LarDaBear

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Check that link I messaged you with the info JWA sent me concerning my WWII Winchester 75 US Property rifle
Old 08-19-2021, 08:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hi TComGuy1,

Sorry I am late, been travelling all week and just now have a moment to check in.

As the folks here have correctly identified, your rifle is one of the G7505R rifles that were purchased by the military as training rifles in WWII. They were also sold post war but yours is definitely one of the military contract rifles.

Your rifle was arsenal overhauled post-WWII. It was originally blued as issued but when it was rebuilt it was parkerized (the grey finish). So that the original butt plate could be matched-up with the stock after parkerizing the arsenal added a number to both. The vast majority of the numbers I have seen have been 3-digits like yours. That number has nothing to do with your actual serial number, it simply allowed them to put the correct plate back on the original stock.

To restore the sights to as-issued condition you do need a 93B and pre-war 57E rear sight. Both are available if you are patient but the cost is creeping upwards. The correct set is currently bringing between $150-$200 depending upon condition.

The 3 or 8 on your bolt is likely an inspection stamp since the serial number was etched. You might try looking at it with a bright light. If it has been parkerized the number may no longer be readily visible.

Regarding the 75 book, it is about 600 pages in length so far but I need to trim some info out as there is simply too much for one book. Still writing more.....

Congrats on your rifle and let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Old 08-20-2021, 06:37 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Once again Thank you to everyone for the information. I hope to get some range time in soon with the 75, 490, and a 74 in 22 short.
The 74 is a different story I need to investigate and dates from around 1946-47. It has been customized with perloid inlays, checkering, and a fancy trigger guard. When I first got it it wouldn't feed at all or reset trigger properly and was missing rear sight elevator. I took it apart and found a heavy spring rolling around under the barrel which was determined to be the magazine tube support and it has been reinstalled. The trigger was missing the piano wire loop spring. I got 2 springs and an elevator from Numrich. I have also a 74 in 22 lr which was having reset issues. Found it was missing same spring. Both seem to be working fine now. The trigger guard is definitely off a different gun and reminds me of parts I used to see in dixie gun works catalogs for building muzzleloaders. I has a significant scroll to it but seems a little too short to be for a gun with double set triggers. I also kind of looks like a scheutzenfest guard. It looks pretty cheap made of thin steel and is painted black. I got gun at Cabelas and they had no history on it.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyman sight update model 75 Target

i picked up a very tired copy of 1946 Gun Digest (first?) this weekend which was missing cover and first 2 pages. Rear cover with wood grain pattern was present but detached.
Looking through it found a good section on Lyman, Marbles, and Redfield sights.

It states that the correct rear peep for the Target model is the 58E and Sporting model is the 57E. Primary difference is height of mount to compensate for high stock comb. I had already picked up a 57E but haven't mounted it because I have already mounted some optics.