Anschutz 64 MPR: What Am I Getting Myself Into? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:05 PM
Patriot_MD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz 64 MPR: What Am I Getting Myself Into?

I have the opportunity to pick-up a new/unfired Anschutz 64 MPR for a good price. It's a newer, 2019-built model but, I've never owned an Anschutz before and wondered what I could expect in terms of issues and fixes/adjustments it'll need right off the bat. I've always wanted one, preferably a 54 but, this 64 MPR is really too good of a deal to pass-up if it performs like I expect to perform.

Is an Anschutz something a casual-shooter, like me, should avoid? Because I get the impression that as good as they are, they also require a lot of skilled care and maintenance to perform optimally. I own Remington, Steyr and Ruger .22's so I'm not a total neophyte but, at the same time, I'm really ignorant about Anschutz and what owning one entails. Or, am I over-thinking it and should buy it while I have the chance?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:41 PM
huntingskeetman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I think you’d be pleased with a 64MPR, I know I have been with mine. They’re a nice shooting gun and don’t require any extraordinary maintenance. Just get a good coated cleaning rod and brushes, a bore guide designed for the gun (Possum Hollow), and use a quality solvent like BoreTech Rimfire blend. With a decent scope it should bring you many happy days at the range, enjoy.
E64EED37-C817-4D00-81F1-EE1A0F681EEE.jpeg
Old 01-14-2021, 11:39 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The 64 replacements - the 1761 - are pushing 2,000 (or higher) now. I would guess that the amount of difference between the new model and the 64MPR in actual usage would be pretty minor. If it's a nice rifle and the price is "right" ....? For me it would take a substantial discount off off the price to make me a buyer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2021, 02:00 AM
Southern1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you will like the 64 MPR. The trigger is fantastic!. The magazines not so much. Hard to feed, the rounds don't line up well with the bore. And the mag release is super hard to operate. The bolt was very stiff at first, but getting better.

I think ammo choice makes a huge differance. So far I have used CCI-SV and Norma match. The Norma shoots much better than the CCI The rifle shoots as well or better than my well broke in CZ's. I got a single shot sled, it's easier to load and shoot than the magazine.

The rifle has had about 250 rounds through it. It's time for a good cleaning and the action torqued to check for accuracy. And as much as I hate to price wise. it's time to break out the Wolf Match and Center X to see what the rifle will really do.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:18 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
It is a beast, likely to dwarf your others. Think benchrest...Tom
Old 01-15-2021, 12:27 PM
Asar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I came across this new YouTube channel recently started by a young guy, it's called 304 Rimfire. If your 64 MPR shoots like his with Center-X then you're getting into something good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhilYWEKi70&t=14s
Old 01-15-2021, 12:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
You are overthinking it. Buy it and enjoy. It's just another gun, a couple of notches above what you're accustomed to, not an exotic Ferrari or something.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:55 PM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I bet you'll love it!

Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 PM
fullup3

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have one and love it! I clean the bore every several hundred rounds or so...or whenever it seems like I need to. As Southern1 said the trigger is amazing. From the very first time you get it sighted in and shoot it you will realize why Anschutz has the reputation that they do.

Buy it!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suggest you try S&K pistol match in it. Mine loves the stuff. I do suggest you scrub the chamber ever time you shoot it. I don't spend much time cleaning the barrel, but I know the carbon ring gets built up in the chamber and can be a real pain to get our once it hardens up. I quick scrub with a .250 brush and solvent and a couple of dry patches takes care of that issue. I do shove the patches thru the barrel, that pushes out the junk and any moisture that has settled in the barrel as it cools. Clean the barrel whenever you see the accuracy starting to go away.
Enjoy the new rifle.
Kiddshooter
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 PM
Patriot_MD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the input but, unfortunately, I missed-out. It was sold by the time I got off work today. Story of my life. Day late and a dollar short. Seller said he got $1200 for it, which was about $100-150 more than I planned to offer.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:20 AM
Southern1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I paid $1350 out the door this summer. Worth the money, and when they are gone, that's it. The 1761 just isn't the same heavy long barrel rifle as the 64 MPR.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:36 AM
Patriot_MD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1 View Post
I paid $1350 out the door this summer. Worth the money, and when they are gone, that's it. The 1761 just isn't the same heavy long barrel rifle as the 64 MPR.
I get my annual bonus pay-out at the end of February. I'm just going to get a 1710 and buy once/cry once.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:06 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
You will love that rifle, Bonus-worthy.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:17 PM
lakers1138
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reliable & Accurate

I bought my 64 MPR (new) for aperture shooting. I, too, applaud the trigger as BEST (5 oz from the factory). I toyed with getting another MPR to scope it, but decided on the 1710 D KL. Both rifles are worth the expense incurred. The only fault that I find with these rifles is the awkward magazine release.