Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:16 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

A lot of great information!

I’m going to cool my jets for a while on this,

I’m too impulsive some times. My new Marlins are just so much fun to shoot, but I have .Marlin and 9422 in .22 that could substitute.

I agree with knowing the laws. Regarding hunting in KY I evaluated, approved, and wrote most of our hunting regulations before I retired.

I’m definitely buying new if/when I move.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you find someone going out of the hobby and can get everything they have including left over components for $500 with many dies, RCBS rock chucker, Uniflow Powder Measure, shell holders, trickler, scale, reloading books, powder, components, etc, don't hesitate to jump on that deal if the stuff was stored in a dry garage and there is enough there to justify the cost. You'll quickly realize that kind of deal is much better than buying all new stuff where a press is $100, powder measure another $100, powder stand another $35, Carbide dies $55, Trimmer $120 etc, etc. etc. If you treat an old reloader fairly you'll be a happy camper in the long run. Buying a die set and selling ones you'll never use are ways to keep the costs down.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yeah, that can work, or how about finding an experienced handloader in your area and make him your friend?
Having someone to walk you through the initial set up and basics is a great thing
Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Actually, I have a good friend who handholds, or used to. I'll think I'll give him a call.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowwild View Post
Actually, I have a good friend who handholds, or used to. I'll think I'll give him a call.
Perhaps he could mentor you as you gain experience and confidence. I wish I had one when I started reloading and casting my own bullets some time back, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I wish you lots of luck, it is rewarding, if only for the self-satisfaction. Your groups will shrink as you experiment with different loads.

Slim
Old 11-30-2021, 06:16 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had not even thought about casting bullets. Hmmm.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:16 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well that is a whole new set of equipment...

Quote:
I had not even thought about casting bullets. Hmmm.
Well that is a whole new set of equipment, but the worry of finding bullets then becomes a thing of the past. A semi-wadcutter/Keith style bullet will work very well for hunting and will do very little meat damage. As Elmer Keith used to say... "You can eat right up to the bullet hole". They typically punch a caliber size hole clean through the animal up to deer size. And since they are a flat point bullet, they would be safe in a tubular magazine. Not sure if they would feed properly, though. They also make nice clean holes in paper!!!
When melting lead alloys make sure you do it outside or with plenty of ventilation. I typically get used wheel weights. Figure 1/4 to 1/3 will be non-useable non-lead weights. I do the initial melt outside because there will be a LOT OF FUMES, I then flux and skim impurities and cast the lead into ingots. The ingots get stored until needed, and the nice thing about the ingots is there is very little in the way of fumes, BUT you still need ventilation, particularly if you are casting the bullets inside, which is how I do it. If you have questions just ask, I am sure that you will get several folks to give you info on how they do their casting. A lot of it boils down to how much money you want to spent and personal preference. When I decided that I was going to cast my own bullets I went cheap. Made my own casting/melting pot, and I already had a ladle from my lead-head jig making days. So the melting pot and a Lyman or RCBS bullet mold and handles and I was casting bullets. Get on YouTube and look up lubing bullets and you will get lots of videos to check out. Here is a link to get you started!!! https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lubing+bullets Shows half a dozen different ways!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:09 PM
JJB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
one of the trickiest things about casting bullets is getting your moulds up to temp..... after you do it goes really quickly... I bought a hammer handle to whack the sprue cutter with ( do not whack your moulds) I use birthday cake candles to flux with.... so many things to learn it's really a lot of fun to cast your own.... like they said I learned to reload from the best friend I ever had... and that is the easiest way to learn..... jjb
Old 12-01-2021, 10:32 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Crayons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
one of the trickiest things about casting bullets is getting your moulds up to temp..... after you do it goes really quickly... I bought a hammer handle to whack the sprue cutter with ( do not whack your moulds) I use birthday cake candles to flux with.... so many things to learn it's really a lot of fun to cast your own.... like they said I learned to reload from the best friend I ever had... and that is the easiest way to learn..... jjb
Crayons work also!!! What can I say... I like frugal. (cheap) I have used your idea of candles, and some reloading lubes will work nicely also. So many different ways to accomplish the same job!!!
God Bless
Old 12-02-2021, 06:15 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Didn't cool jets long.

Ordered the RCBS Rebel Kit last night and RCBS carbide dies and shell holder.

I don't need brass at this time. I can get bullets locally (slim selection though).

Powder and primers are another story. All the net places I searched, where Alliant 2400 and CCI300 are available, you have to buy too much or unfamiliar payment procedures.

Thanks to All
Old 12-02-2021, 07:38 AM
Rat458

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good starter kit that will serve you well for a long time.
Make sure you get a reloading manual or two for recommended loads.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:54 AM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This kit comes with Speer manual and I've ordered the 11th edition of Hornadt. I plan to read at least one before I ever set the equipment up.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:57 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Newbie To Reloading

I really like Winchester W296 powder for the .357 and 44Mag. You might try Diamond Brass @ https://www.diamondkbrass.com/. Today they showed 357 and 44 Mag brass 'in stock'. If you find everything but primers....I'll do 1 package (100) of Magnum Large Pistol and 1 package (100) of Small Pistol Magnum primers for $5.00 each plus shipping..(both are CCI primers, New)...If that will help you and get you started.

Best Regards

Gary Fields
Vancouver, WA 98662
Old 12-02-2021, 08:08 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What caliber...

Quote:
Didn't cool jets long.

Ordered the RCBS Rebel Kit last night and RCBS carbide dies and shell holder.

I don't need brass at this time. I can get bullets locally (slim selection though).

Powder and primers are another story. All the net places I searched, where Alliant 2400 and CCI300 are available, you have to buy too much or unfamiliar payment procedures.

Thanks to All
Yeah it's hard to "cool your jets" when you got that itch!!! been there and done that more often than I care to admit.
What caliber did you order with the kit???
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 12-02-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:05 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Newbie to Reloading

I just checked the following web site...and they have 2400 Powder in Stock
https://alphexfirearms.com/product/a...s-gun-powder/#

Goodluck!!!

Gary