First Colt Revolver - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:45 PM
GWKRemuda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First Colt Revolver

My son is 14. He has decided he will enter into the lifelong obsession with gun collecting. So now the question is Colt Peacemaker, Frontier Scout or New Frontier.
He will want a shooter. 22 mag cylinder is not that important. I have never owned one and would love any feedback on which is the best shooter. Most desirable to collect. fair prices for a shooter. He will want a holster and carry on the ranch. We live in central OK if any one has one they are looking to part with. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:09 AM
bangbang
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWKRemuda View Post
My son is 14. He has decided he will enter into the lifelong obsession with gun collecting. So now the question is Colt Peacemaker, Frontier Scout or New Frontier..
Cool. I hope you have/leave him ALOT of money or that he ends up making alot.

If your son is SERIOUS about this, then look for a copy of Wilkersons book on Colt SAA 22s... there are hardcopies and soft backs... but whoever you or he does, get the book and readup. There is alot of info in there that Wilkerson did before he passed.

Quote:
He will want a shooter. 22 mag cylinder is not that important. I have never owned one and would love any feedback on which is the best shooter.
Sorry to be brusk, but you are not buying a toaster off amazon. So "best" will be relative especially when it comes to these revolvers.

To me and its been my experience that what you get can vary with "best" shooter.

Since you/son plans to collet them all? then you can buy and try and test them all to find the "best" shooter.

Something a collector told me when i started into this. Since i was young, making minimum wage, about 5 bucks/hr, was to "buy as many as you can to fill each niche and then upgrade later" If you get the book you will find the what nots about each model and what was different or not between each. If you readup on this you can get an idea on what/how to collect and how far down the rabbit hole you will go. For example, some of the models came with plain wood grips or plastic eagle grips. Think about it - how will you know if it came with what grip since some of the info was recorded and some not. Anyone could swap grips and that same gun could go from many to few made.

again, the BOOK goes into the details of the different models. Some were DUAL caliber, some weren't. But with the BOOK you can figure it out.

Quote:
Most desirable to collect. .
This is again, relative. Some people love the peacemakers and some dont. it will depend on the person. Most of the Peacemakers came with the case coloring frame. But note, supposedly due to mfg issues on the Case coloring, they did them in all blue. This is also in the book so again, get the book.

And you/son need to figure out your endgame about collecting.

Quote:
Fair prices for a shooter.
This is also relative. some hints...

> look at the various gun auction/selling sites and start educating yourselves on whats out there and the prices. Some sites, like Gunbroker (hint) will want you to join to get the selling/final bid prices.

> there is also the bluebook of gun valves. whats nice about the book is you have a handy reference book. But whats bad is that the prices dont reflect whats hot at that time. So some people will also say "the BB has this value" and it maybe x many bucks less than what everyone else is selling them. You know about Price vs Demand? that goes for guns too. Note, just after Wilkerson died, his book was about about 1+ year old and i had got that book and read all i could and bought all i could. Soon after his death, the prices of the toys (Colt SAA 22s) started go up...from 100 or so up to 600+ and this was a couple years ago.

> Fair price are for people that are looking to buy. So again, do your homework and start looking at prices and condition. There is also COMPLETENESS too. such as box, hang tag, tools, 22 mag cylinder or 22LR cylinder..ect. It will depend on the collector too but completeness can make a difference on a "collector" and a "shooter" If you/son does your homework, you will have an idea on "fair" price for a shooter. For what its worth i was able to pickup a used Colt 45 LC SAA Peacemaker sporting the 4.4 inch barrel and it was "used" for 1K USD. This was several years ago. No box..ect, but it was a really NICE shooter. If it had the box and everything else, it could have been a "collector". But given time, it could be and i get to shoot it.

> also, some of the models will not fetch more money or will fetch less money than others. It will depend on condition and if that collector doesnt have that gun for their niche.

Quote:
He will want a holster and carry on the ranch. We live in central OK if any one has one they are looking to part with.
OK. but do you want an ORIGINAL COLT holster? again, in the book, they cover things like this. Im 60 now and started collecting when i was 18. In that time i have only seen 1 original Colt holster for the Colt SAA 22. What do you think they will go for IF you can find one? Mind you its LEATHER and condition will depend on how the person(S) took care of it.

you would be better of finding something that will do what you want, in teh color/style you/son wants. You may want to go to a leathermaker there in OK and ask about the many various holsters and see what they say.

Quote:
Any and all opinions are welcome.
Not an opinion, but a really strong recommendation. GET THE BOOK!

im sure others will have their own say in this, but GET THE BOOK, read it from start to finish and then figure out how you/son will collect any or all of them. I did. And just be prepared to layout ALOT of money and time. Time to do the research and time to do the searching on any of them you/son want to collect.

If you have any GUN SHOPS in your area, start there. Get your son there too. Let the shop know what your son wants to do or will attempt to do. He's $$$ on legs and so are you. But i had a "you scratch my back, and i will scratch your" type of relationship with my LGS. He would get USED guns in and would sometimes give me 1st dibs. There were other doing the same, so he had to spread the love. But dont try to knock them down to a rock bottom price. I never did and if the price was "fair" than it was a good deal. Remember they have to pay bills and rent. I also had ordered guns from him too. But my LGS made more money on USED guns and accessories. New guns was a fixed markup of 20 bucks. If he will collect other toys then again, readup and learn. No one can do it for him either.

If you have any guns shows in your areas, do the same. Let any Colt? collector know what you/son is looking for. Again, scratch thier back and they may scratch you/sons.

If you have any COLLECTORS show, attend those. Get your son there and let him introduce himself and get to know the collectors. Even if its not the same brand? type ? that he may not be interested in - now, you will never know what that person may have in the future. If he has any questions ask and get excited about what he's getting into. Some collectors will spend the time to chat and get to know him. But some wont. But spend time going and saying hi. If he's better at remembering names, more power to him. Once he goes enough, people will recognize him and be willing to chat and maybe business. There were some collectors that knew what i wanted and offered me 1st chance to take or not. And it was NO obligations to buy. Some dealer want to sell and get CASH so that they can buy something else (hint). same for the gunshots too.

If your son is into joining...look at the Colt Collectors Association (CCA). Pre covid they used to have CCA shows around the country every year?. They would choose/pick different cites to have their shows. If you can find/attend one you/son will see some really sweet collections. Maybe something to strive for.

There is also a board for the Colt collectors too. Chances are there are collectors for just about anything and everything will have a board/forum. So look for the Colts boards. RFC is just one of many.

good luck to both of you.

Last edited by bangbang; 11-23-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:01 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wilkerson says in the book there are more than 40 variations. Some are very rare but may be encountered since many dealers don't know the rarity of each variation. I like the color case framed model and they seem to cost the most in general. Of course new in box guns are the most collectible. I have three of them, all shooters with no boxes. They are great little revolvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2021, 07:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
I'd go with a New Frontier. Adjustable sights are a good thing if you want to do more than just blasting. Some were made as 22lr specific guns, not dual caliber, which have a larger bore.
First purchase should be hearing protection. All calibers require it. I assure you, he doesn't want to end up with tinnitus. It is a curse, as I can well attest.
Don't even think of dropping the hammer on a pistol loaded with 22 mag, without it.

Last edited by Camster; 11-23-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:36 AM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I agree with Camster, of the 3 the New Frontier is going to offer the best features/value for the money. That's based on a teenager using it for what it was designed for, shooting.

Serious collecting is another bailiwick entirely and I doubt "look but don't touch" would interest him. It certainly wouldn't have interested me at that age.

Frank
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
I'd go with a New Frontier. Adjustable sights are a good thing if you want to do more than just blasting. Some were made as 22lr specific guns, not dual caliber, which have a larger bore.
First purchase should be hearing protection. I assure you, he doesn't want to end up with tinnitus. It is a curse, as I can well attest.
I agree.

Good advice.

The Colt single action 22 revolvers are great for collecting. I have a couple for collecting and one as a shooter. Iím more into the OMM revolvers.

For heavy duty single action revolver use I bought a stainless steel Ruger single six. I got a much better deal on it over any Colt I could find. I prefer the Colts for collecting. I prefer the Single Six for use because I can use it extensively and never ruin the finish or diminish the value from what I paid for it.

I also agree with the above detailed comments. Get the book. There is so much to learn before you start collecting.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Something a collector told me when i started into this. Since i was young, making minimum wage, about 5 bucks/hr, was to "buy as many as you can to fill each niche and then upgrade later"

I'll take exception to that plan. Buy the best that you can. Be selective. Don't be an accumulator of stuff that needs to be thinned out and upgraded. Too many expensive lessons in that plan. It's making too much work out of the hobby and taking away some of the fun.

Nothing wrong with a young guy buying a shooter grade for field and holster use, but don't buy something with a glaring defect. You'll enjoy it more, and it won't be a problem to sell one day. You now might not think that one day will come, but they come more often than most people think. Not every hobby is for life, and sometimes the resources are better applied elsewhere.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:40 AM
Bullet Bob
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
No brainer, New Frontier. Adjustable sights, steel, case-hardened frame. Mine is one of my favorite guns, some days it is The favorite. Spend a little extra, get a lifetime of enjoyment. I've owned a few Ruger .22 revolvers over the years, don't own any now though.

I recommend the Buntline version with the 7 & 1/2" barrel.

Last edited by Bullet Bob; 11-23-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
No brainer, New Frontier. Adjustable sights, steel, case-hardened frame. Mine is one of my favorite guns, some days it is The favorite. Spend a little extra, get a lifetime of enjoyment. I've owned a few Ruger .22 revolvers over the years, don't own any now though.

I recommend the Buntline version with the 7 & 1/2" barrel.
If memory serves, my NF had the 6 or 6.5 inch barrel, whatever that one is, which I think is the most common variant.
The one that I considered the cat's whiskers however, was the version with the shorter barrel- a 4.75", I think.

At the time, I also had a NF SAA .45 with the 7.5 barrel. I really wanted a shorter barrel version of that one too.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:45 AM
monty52
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
colt 22s

Great decision to go with the Colt sa 22.They have not made these in quite a few years, so great investment. Also they are a quality made gun, with a crisp trigger and smooth action. I have had a few various models over the years and they were all very well made with beautiful finish. They are still affordable if you shop around.I recently picked up a frontier scout mint in box for a reasonable price. Also if you have any local gun shows in your area, its always a fun time to go to one and look around and haggle a little for a good deal on one.
Cant go wrong with one of these for shooting and investment.

Last edited by monty52; 11-23-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:42 PM
GWKRemuda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate this forum for the number of members that are willing to share opinions and expertise. I read a lot on here and love the various opinions about different guns and how to improve them. I am ordering the book now! I will start with the GB closed listings and start making a list with price ranges. Will be looking to bid on a New Frontier in good condition. The buntline looks great and would help him learn to shoot accurately.

My list for him:
New Frontier
Peacemaker
Scout
Marlin 39A
Winchester 9422
Old 11-23-2021, 06:46 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If he, or you by extension, want to be a collector you may not want to buy on Gunbroker. That is for accumulating quickly, but for the highest prices. IT's not just about prices. If he is like me, at 14, I enjoyed finding treasure - good guns at lower prices. I enjoyed LOOKING, so went to many gun shows and just oogled them. And read gun books and magazines for decades, starting in about 6th grade. When my friends were playing little league, I was at the school or public library reading gun books. Today, he can visit sites like this one too. Hands on he can learn condition, and prices by looking for face to face deals at shows, shops, and networking (asking his friends if their dads have any "old guns for sale.")

In collecting, lots of people are what I call "supernovas". They get into something, have the money to buy often and at any price, and then burn out quickly. It's easy if you will pay any price to get 3, 6, or 10 .22 Colts in a few months. The highest prices are buying at a national auction viewed by hundreds of people. I.E. Gunbroker. If price is no hinderance, it really doesn't matter if he buys too high, or gets a damaged one from a bad seller, or a reblued one you couldn't tell online. You just throw it in the safe and go buy another next week, figuring it will average out in the end. After a few years, you have them all, and start realizing they're not worth the amount you paid, and you didn't have a lifetime of searching, of anticipation. You have a diminished bank account.

Or he can be the slow and steady wins the race type. Set his price limit to be about 25% less than what they go for on Gunbroker. Instead of buying in the first 2-3 weeks, it may take him 3-6 months of visiting gun shops and shows. But he'll enjoy the hunt better than screen surfing.

Last edited by azshot; 11-23-2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:23 PM
GWKRemuda

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you find that the GB prices on penny reserve auctions to be more than paid at LGS/Gun Shows to be that much higher? My LGS prices everything based on GB closed auctions. He does like going and looking at LGS/Pawn shops/Museum's He loves the gun museum in Claremore, OK... Need to get him to some gun shows.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (58)
Quote:
Do you find that the GB prices on penny reserve auctions to be more than paid at LGS/Gun Shows to be that much higher? My LGS prices everything based on GB closed auctions. He does like going and looking at LGS/Pawn shops/Museum's He loves the gun museum in Claremore, OK... Need to get him to some gun shows.
Can't beat the Tulsa show for size.
This NYer has been to the Tulsa show as well as the museum in Claremont.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:13 AM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Tulsa Gun Show is your friend and you are close!