Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:43 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to Tcomguy1
savage model 5 trigger

Picked up a Model 5 Chicopee Falls with standard sights, non checkered stock, D&T'd for side mount last weekend. It is good condition but stock has been refinished poorly.

The problem is the trigger. It is horribly loose. Lots of travel and side to side slop. It will fire but massive play.

Is it supposed to have some sort of centering shims on the trigger pivot pin and/or preload on sear? I have been unable to get a exploded diagram from Numrich but did find a couple of pics of prewar models that were disassembled and they seem to have a much superior trigger system with a coil spring. If I understand correctly the model 5 is the tubular version of the model 4 magazine model. If true do they share the same trigger group? When did the trigger design change or are aftermarket parts available?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The early Model 4's had the sear integral with the trigger, there cannot be any forward play with that design since it's directly hooked to the hammer. The later Model 4's and I believe all Model 5's had the improved 'speed lock' bolt that required a separate sear bar due to the heavier shorter stroke spring - these have a very light spring on the trigger to keep it in contact with the sear bar. It sounds like your gun has a bent spring or it is missing. You could possibly make something out of thin piano wire, it just has to be strong enough to overcome the weight of the trigger to take out the play. This does not take out side to side unless you could angle the spring to push the trigger to one side.

Numrich schematic, trigger spring is item 36 - gunpartscorp/5-sav
Old 09-24-2021, 09:24 AM
Sentry44

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OP,

While I can't offer any specific 'fixes,' as I have never torn any of my Model 5's down and tinkered...one thing I will point out is that every one I have owned has had a trigger that had a LOT of play in it. And that extends to both well used and lightly used examples. This is both in terms of a strange take-up, as well as some side-to-side slop.

But THAT said, it doesn't affect the accuracy on any of them. I have never shot a Savage 5 that wasn't incredibly accurate. I have my qualms with Savage about a few things, but accuracy isn't one of them. They are wonderful guns, and the lifter mechanism is simple, easy to cycle, and very reliable. There are competitor tube-fed guns which were as good...but I can't think of any that were clearly "better."

This would be in stark contrast to one far more popular competitor offered by a company who's name was a fish...and rhymed with George "Carlin." *S* I own those too, and while the fit and finish on them is great, the lifter is too complicated, hangs up too often, takes way to much effort to cycle, and relies upon a flimsy metal tab to properly chamber...which requires BARREL REMOVAL when (not if) it breaks.

What is remarkable about the Savage Model 5 is how few of them were made in comparison to other makes of tube-fed bolt guns. Just my own observation, I have seen many more Utica guns than Chicopee or Westfield, which tells me they were down to a trickle in the last decade or so of production. And catalogs back this notion up, as from memory I know there is at least one catalog during production years which doesn't even mention the Model 5, and there are other years where it just gets a small mention in between the Models 4 and 6...like an afterthought, "Oh yeah, and we also have a tube-fed bolty, if ya want that."

Sentry44

Last edited by Sentry44; 09-24-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2021, 12:21 PM
bakeman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have a model 4 that had the same problem. very accurate and the side to side play didn't affect accuracy or function but it did bother me. i just made a small shim out of a fired 22 casing. shim was a little tight at first but after a few hits with a hammer on the vice, it slid in snug yet let the trigger function smoothly. took 20 minutes.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:14 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
shoots good

Took the model 5 out today. Shoots really well offhand even with weird trigger. I think I can make a shim to tighten up the slop around the trigger pivot pin. I also think I can make a shim to take up some of the slack between the trigger and sear pivot arm to tighten up the travel. I will also play with the flat spring tension.

One correction is that my unit is D&T'd for a 2 screw peep sight mount and not for a scope side mount.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:27 PM
Sentry44

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OP,

If the position on those D&T holes is right at the rear left of the receiver, then the correct sight is a W.F.C. & Co. 150. One of mine is fitted with one.

William F. Cobb was a machinist, and former Savage employee, who set up his own machine shop in Utica in the late 40's and produced sights for Savage/Stevens for a few years. The two models that I am aware of are the 150 and 175.

Savage never referred to the sights by anything other than the number, but each is stamped with both the model number, and "W.F.C. & Co." And both sight models are in catalogs.

They are over-built, good quality, and difficult to find...let alone in good condition.

Sentry44

Last edited by Sentry44; 09-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:08 PM
Tcomguy1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
more info

The holes are where you state. They have plug screws in them. Good information on sight. Will have to keep and eye out for one.
One other piece of info is that it has the strap steel trigger guard and not the alloy style. I would have to guess late 40's to early 50's manufacture since it does not have the scope side mount holes.