CCI SV in my S&W 41 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:17 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV in my S&W 41

Hello, just want to say, my S&W Model 41 is my all time favorite .22 rimfire pistol. My 41 is equipped with the 5.5 inch barrel and the 7.5 inch. I bought it unused a few years ago. Right from the start, it has been a real performer for me.

With that said, I recently broke into another case of CCI SV, that I have shot exclusively in this pistol since I've owned her. To my dismay, I am having more duds than I have ever experienced with this ammo. I've tried some SK standard, and it's performed very well, but I have very little of it. I'm sure I can shoot about any SV through this pistol. Any recommendations? Thanks
Old 08-26-2021, 06:56 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGhillemohr View Post
Hello, just want to say, my S&W Model 41 is my all time favorite .22 rimfire pistol. My 41 is equipped with the 5.5 inch barrel and the 7.5 inch. I bought it unused a few years ago. Right from the start, it has been a real performer for me.

With that said, I recently broke into another case of CCI SV, that I have shot exclusively in this pistol since I've owned her. To my dismay, I am having more duds than I have ever experienced with this ammo. I've tried some SK standard, and it's performed very well, but I have very little of it. I'm sure I can shoot about any SV through this pistol. Any recommendations? Thanks
I went through several cases of CCI SV when I was shooting bullseye,
I shot a 41, Ruger 22/45 and a couple Marvels. Some lots would have less than one dud in a thousand, the worse lot was one or two in a hundred.

Try brushing your chamber and keep the gun clean and wet with a good light gun oil. The frame and slide rails need to be clean. Maybe hose out the firing pin/breech block with brake cleaner.

I had fewer duds with Eley Target.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:57 PM
mostly22lately
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Are you having the issues with both barrels?

I also have a 41 (PC model only the one barrel) and lately it has STOPPED liking most SVs except the CCI! The SK Standard+ (yellow box) recently has served up a raft of stovepipes, when it used to run like a sewing machine.

Not wanting to run faster stuff, which is less accurate thus defeating the whole purpose of this tool, I changed to a 6.5 lb Wolff spring ... and 60 rounds of CCI SV later, no misses, smooth and satisfying, nice groups. Will get to test more this weekend.

The bore scope camera I recently bought has surely opened my eyes about what is really in that chamber and why some spent shells play turtle. A Q tip with a 50:50 mix of Hoppe's #9 and Everclear yields a tell tale of carbon I didn't even know was there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2021, 07:23 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nut View Post
I shot a 41, Ruger 22/45 and a couple Marvels. Some lots would have less than one dud in a thousand, the worse lot was one or two in a hundred.

Try brushing your chamber and keep the gun clean and wet with a good light gun oil. The frame and slide rails need to be clean. Maybe hose out the firing pin/breech block with brake cleaner.

Thanks for your advice, the thing I have noticed, is that the rim of the cartridge is very well dented, no problem with chambering or extraction. I tried rechambering and firing again, but still a dud. I'll still try what you have said, I clean my firearms!
Old 08-26-2021, 07:25 PM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly22lately View Post

I also have a 41 (PC model only the one barrel) and lately it has STOPPED liking most SVs except the CCI! The SK Standard+ (yellow box) recently has served up a raft of stovepipes, when it used to run like a sewing machine.

Not wanting to run faster stuff, which is less accurate thus defeating the whole purpose of this tool, I changed to a 6.5 lb Wolff spring ... and 60 rounds of CCI SV later, no misses, smooth and satisfying, nice groups. Will get to test more this weekend.

The bore scope camera I recently bought has surely opened my eyes about what is really in that chamber and why some spent shells play turtle. A Q tip with a 50:50 mix of Hoppe's #9 and Everclear yields a tell tale of carbon I didn't even know was there.
I have not tried the 5.5 lately, I actually thought about doing that, I'll try it tomorrow!
Old 08-27-2021, 12:03 PM
MacGhillemohr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nut View Post

I took your advice, except for hosing out the firing pin/breech, then hit the range. Fired 80 rounds, no duds! The pistol wasn't exactly dirty, but proof is in the pudding! Strange that the dud rounds shot previously still had very well dented rims from the firing pin. Thanks
Old 08-27-2021, 11:45 PM
1911nut
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I took your advice, except for hosing out the firing pin/breech, then hit the range. Fired 80 rounds, no duds! The pistol wasn't exactly dirty, but proof is in the pudding! Strange that the dud rounds shot previously still had very well dented rims from the firing pin. Thanks
Iím glad you got her shooting good.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly22lately View Post

I have to ask, what is "Everclear"?

Rick H.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:10 PM
mostly22lately
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
I have to ask, what is "Everclear"?

Rick H.
In this case, 191 proof hooch ... grain alcohol, Ethanol, C2H6O ... sold as Everclear brand liquor. Maybe there are other brand names but I don't know them.

I actually can only get the 151 proof version where I live due to state restrictions so I have to pick up the 191 when I travel through either Delaware or SC, the closest states I get to where it is still available.

The 191 Everclear by itself does not leave a residue (fully volatile), and it is also useful for other cleaning tasks such as in electronics work. In this application the almost-pure ethanol mixes with the Hoppe's nicely and is better than 91% isopropyl, which also works in a pinch and is much cheaper and readily available.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:24 PM
mr alexander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
CCI SV in my S&W 41

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, the thing I have noticed, is that the rim of the cartridge is very well dented, no problem with chambering or extraction. I tried rechambering and firing again, but still a dud.
MacGhillemohr,

If the problem described above continues to occur, I would report this

to CCI. Have the ammo's lot number on hand if you do contact them.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:12 PM
Krash51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been having great success with my 41 after replacing the factory extractor with a volquartsen one. Oddly enough I got a round that failed to fire after 2 solid firing pin hits approximately 180 degrees apart. No other problems in the box. When I got home I removed the head and poured out the powder and visually inspected the inside of the case. I could see no evidence of any primer compound in the rim. Sometimes it is the ammo!, or not?
Old 12-04-2021, 01:46 PM
Bazday

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV in mod 41

I have the same problem with new box CCI SV in my mod 41 ejection and stove piping. No problems at all with SK standard plus. Old boxes of CCI SV worked well.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 PM
jgilbert
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV Reliability

About 1 round per 100 to 150 CCI cartridges (newly purchased) do not fire despite the striker hitting the round. This is true with both my Model 41 (Clark Barrel) and my Volquartsen Scorpion.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:25 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When the demand is high (as it has been for nearly 2 years) the ammo manufacturers just turn up the volume control. What they change in the processes pretty much guarantees that some cartridges will get through less than 100% perfect. Even if you have a few duds per box, that is better than no ammo at all. The scenario of no ammo sold is just around the corner as the anti-gunners have figured out that controlling guns is too hard and controlling ammo much easier, as we Californians have found out.

LDBennett
Old 12-09-2021, 09:04 PM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
I had CCI SV be full of squibs. The way to check is to take a squib and pull the bullet out. A friend did this for me at the range and poured the powder into the palm of his hand. And there lay the problem - priming compound was mixed in the powder and not under the rim.

Bad CCI SV does exist.