Weatherby Mark XXII - Bolt - Germany - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:13 PM
Cowpokey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weatherby Mark XXII - Bolt - Germany

I have an opportunity to buy a Mark XXII bolt action, made in Germany, with three 5 round mags, original box, and all paperwork. It doesn't look like it has been shot, if it has it was very very little. The wood and blueing look flawless, I'm guessing it was a safe queen.

Seller is asking $1,399 (consignment), I could probably get it for 1,250-1,300...should I go get it?
Old 01-22-2022, 05:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
With only 1 5-round magazine, I paid a lot more for my BA XXII, I say grab it while you still can!!!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:03 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you happen to know what they went for new? The guy that has possession of it, said he's pretty sure he could get the consigner to take $100 off pretty easy.

I didn't get the serial number off it when I was looking at it...because I'm a dumbass. LOL

I told my wife about it, and she didn't discourage me, so there's that. I'm a rimfire addict, so this is going to keep me from sleeping well tonight. Hehe

Last edited by Cowpokey; 01-22-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2022, 06:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
According to a 2010 review article:
"Suggested retail of the .22 version is $899, while the .17 HMR is $949."
That won't help your case any, but keep in mind most of these (in like new condition) are going for $1500 to $1800 lately. Anything less is a great deal, imo.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:16 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool, thanks! I figure they went for around that price new with the searching I tried to do on the web today. From what I understand the action/barrel for the "made in Germany" ones were actually produced by Anchutz, and the wood was done/marketed by Weatherby. It is a pretty rifle, the checkering on the stock is very clean with sharp points...just like new.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You're welcome.
Yes, the BA versions use an Anschutz 64 action and are typically very accurate with good (high) quality SV ammunition. Not cheap or easy to find currently, but mine really likes SK Rifle Match...
Old 01-22-2022, 06:36 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess I'm going to have to go snatch it up in the morning.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Maybe getting it today/tonight would be better!?!? Ha Ha, I'm only saying that because I "waited" on purchasing one, an extra nice darkly stained model (I like the darker wood/stain looks a lot), and it sold while I was still debating (for weeks) if I should spend roughly $1,800 on one.
BTW, if, when, you scope it, this 64 action is taller than most other rifles, above the dovetail cuts. I used UTG Pro dovetail rings because I knew ahead of time, they'd actually clear the height situation, and because (I remove scopes for cleaning) I liked the larger than others, "mounting/base screw" arrangement which gives a very solid & secure (non-sliding) hold/grip. They also return the scope to zero as well. That said, they are bulky looking compared to the "petite lines" of the receiver/action. There are other rings that'll fit but you'll have to research them as I forget which ones will also fit.

Last edited by LoneWolfSS454; 01-22-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:14 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The shop that has it, still had it 30 minutes ago, and they closed 10 minutes ago. I sent the owner of the shop a text message about an hour ago, but he hasn't responded or called back, but will be there in the morning. Very few people around here are willing to drop that kind of money on a 22...so I should be safe. Ha! I'll call the shop owner and have him take it off the rack in the morning.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:22 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shop owner called me back, he's going to call the consigner in the morning and see what we can work out.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It has Weaver style bases (adapters?) mounted on the dovetail.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lol At this point in your situation, I'd have become "like a kid at Christmas", wouldn't sleep worth a darn, and would be watching the clock until the second the shop opens! It's a terrible thing when you (finally) make up your mind about a purchase such as this, and at the last minute, someone "steals" it out from under you! For your sanity, I hope that doesn't happen, and you get it in the end! Good Luck!

My 2nd to last purchase in late 2019 or early 2020 went a lot like this. I was still debating the purchase as the shop closed, but called first thing the next day (Sat) while watching the clock all morning, and got the sale all locked in! In that case, it was for a S&W 5906 9mm that was like new with no more than about 55 rounds through it (that came from a police arms distributor as a "sample/test gun"). Supposedly S&W had quit making these things years ago, but this one looked exactly as it was described (& looked in the photos), which made my day! Soon after that I finally found a "matching" S&W 4506 45acp to go with it, although it had more like 500 rounds through it, but it was still in really nice condition (especially compared to others I'd seen).
Old 01-22-2022, 07:45 PM
bowwild

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That is a fantastic price! I bought one (.22lr) about three years ago that looks brand new with beautiful wood. I paid a few hundred more than this deal you are into.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:10 PM
Cowpokey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The shop owner said, "the guy doesn't need money, he put a different gun on consignment a while back with a $2k price tag, a guy walked in and offered $1.5K, one phone call to the consigner and we did paperwork." I have an offer put in for $1,250 OTD. So, we'll see how this turns out in the morning.

I "need" another .22 like another hole in my nugget, hehe.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You may not need it but, if yours shoots like mine, you'll be more likely to sell off some of your other 22's, while Never thinking of selling the Weatherby!!! Heck, you might even get a "mate" to have with it, in one of the semi-auto XXII models!!! Lol Good Luck to you!