Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Bobcat21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single shot MMK410bn

Well,

Looks like we got to the bottom of this issue. Does anyone disagree that the rifle should shoot flawlessly with the SS bolt? I have shot it least 150 to 200 rounds and it was perfect. It looks like the bolts are basically the same except for the milling for clip allowance.

How about value...that is a biggie! As it is, what do you folks think and honest value of it would be?

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 AM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
As long as the headspace is correct, then the rifle should be safe to shoot as a single shot, even with the DSM 34 breech bolt. Any real gunsmith can check headspace with .22LR "Go" and "No-Go" gauges. I would certainly ascertain if headspace was correct before I would fire it.

I won't venture any guess as to value, as that is always a rather subjective matter. I will point out that the value is MUCH LESS without the correct serial numbered breech bolt than it would be with it. The beauty of the Mm 410B is that it is a light and handy repeating rifle. Lacking the ability to function as a repeater, much of the rifle's charm is missing. And sadly, finding a Mauser B Model breech bolt from a repeater (MS 420B, MS 350B, or Mm 410B) is a very unlikely proposition. I won't say it can't be found, but it might take decades, and cost more than the rifle is worth. If ever a part was made of "unobtanium" this one is.

Furthermore, even if you find a breech bolt from a Mauser repeater, it still will not be serial numbered to the rifle. That too adversely affects value.

I sold a Mauser B Model single shot breech bolt a few years ago for north of $500. A breech bolt for a repeater would almost certainly sell for more than that. I never say never where parts acquisition is concerned, as I have had good luck over the years obtaining the unobtainable, but I'm awfully glad I am not hunting for such a rare animal.

All the best---

BRP

Last edited by BlueRidgeParson; 10-13-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:51 AM
Bobcat21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks BRP for your heartfelt and logical input. You have helped me decide upon a path for this beautiful rifle. It looks like I have a DSM 34 bolt, which I have to say fits beautifully and functions wonderfully as a SS. Yes...a non matching bolt and one which will not support a magazine are two strikes. The rifle sure shoots well, and makes a wonderful shooter.

I remember when we had our family store in Illinois, a Luger coming in without matched numbers was a real "Luger" and they sold good. Yet, a Luger with all matched numbers was quite a different story.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:42 AM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Just a thought and may not be practical, but I wonder if you could have your bolt altered so that it would work with a magazine in your rifle.
I say this without pulling my rifles out and comparing the bolts to see if this would be feasible.
If there's enough "meat" on that bolt for some milling, it might solve your problem in fairly short order and (presumably) at a much lower cost than a replacement bolt. Of course, you'd need someone with the knowledge and equipment to perform the alteration.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Barrelhorses

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Just a thought and may not be practical, but I wonder if you could have your bolt altered so that it would work with a magazine in your rifle.
I say this without pulling my rifles out and comparing the bolts to see if this would be feasible.
If there's enough "meat" on that bolt for some milling, it might solve your problem in fairly short order and (presumably) at a much lower cost than a replacement bolt. Of course, you'd need someone with the knowledge and equipment to perform the alteration.
I suppose anything is possible with the right skills, equipment and money. Bobcat21 is working to verify safety of the rifle in its current configuration. If I wind up with it, I doubt if I will explore alterations. I have other repeaters including the MS420 so I think I can live with single-loading a nice old rifle no more than I will shoot it. I probably won't invest more money in it to alter it any. However, if I happen to luck into the unobtainium correct bolt someday...
Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
It may not be impossible, but I believe that could end up being a fools errand. First, the extractor is too short and the machining on the bolt, if done like an original, would get into the extractor collar. Could it be machined shorter and still work? Maybe, but not worth the try if it doesn’t work. You would also have an altered bolt instead of a functional as a single shot original 34 bolt. Finally, I believe the bolt is surface hardened, and willy nilly milling away without annealing, or annealing, milling, and retreating, is probably a bridge too far for most. I would enjoy it as a lightweight single shot.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM
Barrelhorses

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I would enjoy it as a lightweight single shot.
That's my plan if I get it.

I think I will wind up with it unless Bobcat21 changes his mind after he tests it out again. My feelings won't be hurt one bit if he decides to keep it. The rifle connects him with some great memories.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:34 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
As BRP and others have admonished, proper headspace would be the only concern. In my probably limited experience, Wolf MT/ME has the thickest rims of most quality ammunition (.042-.043”). How the bolt closes on that, and how it closes on a Wolf round with a layer then two of Scotch tape will give you a good idea on headspace. Or, just measure the length of a fired .223 case, then measure the length with a favorite live round placed in the case mouth to get a quick and dirty rim thickness, and start adding layers of Scotch tape.

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 10-14-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:20 AM
Bobcat21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your input. Your knowledge about these Mausers astounds me.

I took it to the range today and fired 30 rounds, several with white paper over the chamber. No problem with any type of blowback, all cases were good with no sign of any splitting. I used CCI Velociters and Aquila Interceptors, highest pressure rounds I could find.

I shot this rifle 150 to 200 rounds years ago when I knew nothing about it's bolt issue, all was well then too.

Yet, I am 72 soon and wish to have a Senior Sell down of a few guns and other heirlooms. The rifle will soon go to a new owner in Ohio.

Anyone looking for a 101 year old Remington Model 51 380 auto? Fair to good condition.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 AM
Barrelhorses

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat21 View Post

The rifle will soon go to a new owner in Ohio.
I am proud to have the opportunity to be the next caretaker of your rifle. I'll take care of it and will try to do a good job of telling its story.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Barrelhorses

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The rifle discussed in this thread has made it's way to it's new home. I won't get to spend much time with it for a few days but my initial impressions are very positive. I know it's not a matching fully functional repeater as it was originally intended to be, but it's rare and wonderfully made. Someone in years gone by put some effort into finding a single shot bolt and having the single shot adaptor made for it. I guess it's a frankenmauser and I think I will be happy with it.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Never say never. You may be able to buy a parts gun one of these days. I found one recently for my 410bs. So they do come up from time to time. Until them enjoy it as a single shot.

Last edited by rwgray76; 10-19-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Additional text