Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 PM
vlcakc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Garrow Upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrowDev View Post
I called Hogue to see if they've had this issue in transport before, and they do, but rarely. It takes a good jolt to the box, and doesn't always show signs, but it can happen. Does sound like you had to crank at it to get the forend off, so it more than likely misaligned the barrel nut. The nut itself can be aligned with a deep-well spanner wrench, but your strap wrench should do the trick. I align every one of them by hand before they go out. Imagine that! It's a lot of work, I'll tell ya. If you can align it again, then great! If not, just send it back and we'll get it running.

-Mike G.
So far I have not run into any problems that I've not dealt with on previous builds. Even on new builds the gas tube may need to be tweaked a bit to get it to line up without binding. I've had to do it before. If the gas tube binds on the gas key it can cause jamming, as in this case, or even screw up accuracy if really bad.

I am not a big fan of the Hogue handguard, although it is fine for most situations. I plan to do quite a bit of bench shooting for ammo testing and may substitute another handguard I have on hand that will be more appropriate for that use. Also, I have a Harrell's Tuner/Brake that is threaded 1/2"-28 that will be used to compare to groups with the thread protector attached. Should be interesting!

Thanks for the offer of assistance, Mike! If I have problems getting it running I'll be in touch. Vic
Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM
vlcakc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update Report

An update on progress to get the Garrow 17 HMR back online. WARNING: The following report is long and somewhat detailed and may be boring to many users not interested in technical details or who are not familiar with the internal workings of the AR platform. Proceed at your own risk!

Report:

The upper receiver was removed from the lower and the charging handle and bolt were removed. The Hogue handguard was unscrewed and removed. No excessive torque was required to remove the handguard this time. The handguard threads although slightly damaged from cross-threading still tighten/loosen smoothly. The gas block Allen head set screws were loosened and the gas block/gas tube assembly was removed. The gas tube was in a slight bind due to the misaligned barrel nut and required a light tap with a small hammer and punch to remove. The gas tube did not appear to be bent or damaged.

The stripped barrel/receiver was clamped in a bench vise using a NO-MAR vise block to prevent damage or marring of the upper receiver. (Note: the rimfire upper doesn't use a conventional AR type screw-on barrel extension, so a reaction rod cannot be used to secure the receiver in a vise. Also, the billet receiver is contoured differently than the typical AR forged upper, so the usual split type vise blocks commonly used for that type receiver may not work either.)

The Hogue barrel nut unscrewed easily with the use of a strap wrench. The strap wrench was used since a proper barrel nut wrench was not immediately available. The barrel was then removed from the receiver.

A few minutes were taken to inspect the barrel, upper and parts. Machining looked very good. No rough edges or tool marks were evident. The threads for the barrel nut were smoothly cut. Surfaces were nicely finished.

The barrel was re-inserted into the receiver. The replacement handguard barrel nut was installed to test fit. As mentioned in a previous post by Mike Garrow, use of a handguard other than the Hogue may require modification to the barrel nut for gas tube clearance due to the short rimfire gas system. That turned out to be true here. The barrel nut was removed and secured in a vise with soft jaws. A few minutes work with a Dremel tool and carbide burr and finished up with a small round file provided the necessary clearance.

The barrel nut threads were coated with anti-seize to prevent galling between the dissimilar metals. The barrel nut was torqued and the gas tube hole was aligned with the one in the receiver. The gas block/tube assembly was reinstalled and the set screws tightened. The gas block/tube fitted easily back into place with no binding. The bolt was reinserted into the receiver without the charging handle or roller lockers in place to check for binding. The bolt moved easily without any apparent binding on the gas tube. The bolt was removed and reinstalled with the charging handle and the roller lockers in place. The replacement handguard was installed and the upper was reinstalled on the lower receiver assembly.

Night had fallen by the time the work had been completed. A quick attempt test firing was inconclusive. The weather is supposed to improve over the next few days and a more complete report with some accuracy testing should be possible. A new thread will be started with further range reports. Vic

Further Update:

A more thorough test fire session was done today. SUCCESS! Well mostly. The bolt and receiver races were well lubricated with Balistol before the testing began. Ammo tested was: 17 gr Hornady VMax and 20 gr Hornady XTP. Five rounds of each were fired using each magazine. The 20 gr ammo functioned perfectly with no problems. The 17 gr ammo had a failure to feed on the first round and then fired the other four with no more malfunctions. More testing will be needed with the 17 gr ammo to determine the cause of the malfunction. Old ammo, magazine problem or ? Vic

Last edited by vlcakc; 11-08-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm super excited to have found this thread, and upper, via a link on Black Dog's website for WM mags

I'm very interested in a farther shooting, accurate rimfire AR and originally I was looking for a 22 WM AR Upper, and still am, but knowing 17 HMR shoots flatter and longer might just be better - plus 15 cents a round for 20gr JHP ammo (17 HMR) isn't bad

I have read your FAQ and know I can install an A2 clamp-on front sight with sling swivel, but would like to run GI (mil spec) hand guards on it - will your gas block fit underneath either triangle or round carbine- length hand guards?

Last edited by octanejunkie; 10-23-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
I'm super excited to have found this thread, and upper, via a link on Black Dog's website for WM mags

I'm very interested in a farther shooting, accurate rimfire AR and originally I was looking for a 22 WM AR Upper, and still am, but knowing 17 HMR shoots flatter and longer might just be better - plus 15 cents a round for 20gr JHP ammo (17 HMR) isn't bad

I have read your FAQ and know I can install an A2 clamp-on front sight with sling swivel, but would like to run GI (mil spec) hand guards on it - will your gas block fit underneath either triangle or round carbine- length hand guards?
Nevermind my questions

I sorted it out https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...47&postcount=7
Old 12-18-2018, 06:09 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Nevermind my questions

I sorted it out https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...47&postcount=7
Got my Garrow Upper!
Now to find time to shoot it
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM
nexus99
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone heard from Mike Garrow? I ordered a GFD AR17HMR 2.5 months ago and still no upper and no communications. Sent Garrow two emails and left two voicemails but no response.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Same experience; no response from Mike, but to a support inquiry/feedback email

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2019, 11:24 PM
marv119
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I talked to him today on the phone about my upper order. He is having trouble getting bolts. Thought mabee he would get them in a couple weeks.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:49 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
His website didn't indicate any delays, so I placed an order on June 6th, he charged my card immediately.

A week later we traded emails and he said it would be "a few weeks" before it shipped. I told him I would need to just cancel as I would be out of the country in Jul-Aug-Sep, he replied OK.

June 17th I emailed and asked if he could please refund my card... no response.

June 20th, still no refund, so I filed a dispute with VISA.

Good luck to you guys.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:42 PM
Retief13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Garrow AR-17 HMR

I have not heard from Mike about my upper I order back in June. Anyone know what is happening with Mike?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 AM
marv119
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in the same boat....ordered end of may. The last time i talked to mike he was waiting on bolts. A guy has to keep in mind tho he is one guy doing everything from design to assembly to ordering parts to sweeping the floor and answering the phone and emails is going to need some time. I just hope it is worth the wait. I see it now said sold out on his web site.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Retief13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Garrow AR-17 HMR

I would just like to get a phone call or email from Mike to let me know what kind of time frame we are looking at.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Team17
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation Garrow Firearms Development update

Im a sponsored shooter for GFD and right now Mike Garrow (owner) is jammed up on BCGs. His BCG supplier backed out on him, so hes working on getting a new supplier right now. No ETA yet. I can post updates in the group as I hear, I talk with him almost daily. The problem is that he doesn't order multiple thousands at a time so hes considered a "small account" and gets pushed off for bigger customers. But, hopefully we can get a supplier that will only handle his special BCG's and not other companies. I will see if I can prod him into sending out updates. I'm trying to get him set up with a division of one of my other sponsors that does custom machining. Pray it works out, it would be exactly what GFD needs and a perfect fit.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice Rig T17

I have cnc machine shop contact that may be willing to bid on the BCG orders... PM me if interested

Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Team17
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Nice Rig T17

I have cnc machine shop contact that may be willing to bid on the BCG orders... PM me if interested

PM sent

Thank you, this is my primary match rifle... I have 5 GFD's in different setups though lol, perks of the job!