Garrow Firearms Development 17hmr locked bolt gas operated AR upper - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Read the review.

Looks promising. Couldn't watch the video but will later tonight.

Would love to see it go up against com CZ's, Savages, and Annies to see how it hangs. Accuracy sound great

what barrel maker does he use?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
Read the review.

Looks promising. Couldn't watch the video but will later tonight.

Would love to see it go up against com CZ's, Savages, and Annies to see how it hangs. Accuracy sound great

what barrel maker does he use?
They make barrels in house I believe,

1:9 twist/ 18" stainless / button rifled

For those interested here is link to article-

Varminter.com is doing a hunt trip, and article-they may be doing comparisons, honestly the other 17hmr firearms ive owned ended up funding other projects, I do plan on comparing directly at a local rimfire shoot soon!

I wasn't able to get any a17 in prior to testing, I would suspect it would run well and likely be accurate.

I did pick up a .17 bore snake and it works great to help keep it clean, i also carry a small squeeze bottle of ballistol whenever im out shooting, (and in go/work bags) its Arizona dry is normal so, prepared is best.

I think the other questions were answered in article, however, I absolutely love reviewing and answering questions that I can.

I'll make sure its okay with Mr. Garrow and post if its okay with board basic contact info. -

Two things i did not post on film,

1. Supressor works amazing with this firearm, however, due to recent events chose to not post that.
2. 100-150-200 yard targets did not get posted, just 50 yard
targets-with 10 round groups

Last edited by Arizona22shooter; 10-11-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[email protected]

This is Mr Garrow email

Be sure to put a good header in it, eg., 17hmr upper /reviewed upper etc.,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Frank3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona22shooter View Post
[email protected]

This is Mr Garrow email

Be sure to put a good header in it, eg., 17hmr upper /reviewed upper etc.,
Sweet, thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM
GarrowDev
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank3 View Post
Good info!

500-600 rounds between cleaning is more than plenty. I can always run a bore snake or patch worm down it and lube the bolt in the field.

Few more questions if you have the time. Some I might have to email the company about but it doesn't hurt to check

1. what does the gas block look like and how far back is it located?

2. Is the gas block adjustable?

3. Will any charging handle work on the upper?

4. 22lr uppers can be hard on triggers or need stouter triggers than normal, what trigger are you running in this rifle?

5. What would you compare the accuracy to and how far have you stretched it out to? CZ, Ruger, Marlin, , savage, Anschutz?

6. Were you able to try some A17 ammo in it?

Super excited for tomorrow to read the whole review

PS what is their contact info?

It's not on their website
Hey there, Frank3! This is Mike Garrow. I wanted to answer some of your questions that weren't specific to Jesse or Eric. Here goes nothin'!

1.) We’ve run 16-22” barrels and the 18” provided the best velocity and the lowest standard deviation with most ammo. Any change in barrel length will most likely require a larger gas port. You can, in fact, replace the gas block with an adjustable one to fine-tune it. However, the barrel is measured from the breach and inside the receiver about 1.5”, so it appears similar to a 16” barrel.

2.) It’s a standard, low-profile gas block located closer to the breach than on a pistol.

3.) The gas block is not adjustable because it is set up to run only the 17HMR ammo.

4.) Yes, any charging handle will work. I happen to be a lefty, myself, so this was important to me

5.) We run a mil-spec trigger, tested Geissele triggers, and the only issue we had was with Velocity triggers being on the inconsistent side. The owner of the company recommends using their steel-case trigger. We haven’t tested every trigger on the market, but there’s no reason not to use aftermarket.

Also, the bolt is designed much like the AR15 where it prevents the firing pin from hitting the cartridge unless it is locked in battery, preventing out-of-battery discharges.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome to RFC, Mike.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
GarrowDev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, Steve! Glad to be here!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:43 PM
rolltide

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hey Mike,

Welcome to RFC!

Is there anything special that needs to be done to replace the forend and will any AR forend work?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:50 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any insider info on possible future 22mag? What would that require? Just a different barrel?

I like the floated barrel and lack of Rambo clutter. Nice clean and practical setup.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This new rifle is fun in the field!

Eric
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM
wbunninh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrowDev View Post
Hey there, Frank3! This is Mike Garrow. I wanted to answer some of your questions that weren't specific to Jesse or Eric. Here goes nothin'!

1.) We’ve run 16-22” barrels and the 18” provided the best velocity and the lowest standard deviation with most ammo. Any change in barrel length will most likely require a larger gas port. You can, in fact, replace the gas block with an adjustable one to fine-tune it. However, the barrel is measured from the breach and inside the receiver about 1.5”, so it appears similar to a 16” barrel.

2.) It’s a standard, low-profile gas block located closer to the breach than on a pistol.

3.) The gas block is not adjustable because it is set up to run only the 17HMR ammo.

4.) Yes, any charging handle will work. I happen to be a lefty, myself, so this was important to me

5.) We run a mil-spec trigger, tested Geissele triggers, and the only issue we had was with Velocity triggers being on the inconsistent side. The owner of the company recommends using their steel-case trigger. We haven’t tested every trigger on the market, but there’s no reason not to use aftermarket.

Also, the bolt is designed much like the AR15 where it prevents the firing pin from hitting the cartridge unless it is locked in battery, preventing out-of-battery discharges.
Awesome, Mr. Garrow. I can hardly wait. I've got to save up a few more pennies, but I see this as being a very viable way to continue my AR fun, and reatain all the “features” on at least one of my rifles. Good on ya for this development!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
This new rifle is fun in the field!

Eric
Can't wait for your report!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Arizona22shooter
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrowDev View Post
Hey there, Frank3! This is Mike Garrow.
Welcome sir!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
GarrowDev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
Hey Mike,

Welcome to RFC!

Is there anything special that needs to be done to replace the forend and will any AR forend work?
Hey, Rolltide. It has the same size barrel nut as any standard AR-15. You may have to do a bit of modifying on a specialized forend for clearance of the gas tube, but anyone with dremel tool skills can make that happen. I realize that not everyone will be enthused about the Hogue, but I really wanted to make it more affordable and use quality, American-made parts. I happen to love the Hogue, myself

-Mike Garrow
Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 PM
GarrowDev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Any insider info on possible future 22mag? What would that require? Just a different barrel?

I like the floated barrel and lack of Rambo clutter. Nice clean and practical setup.
Exactly, Fourbore.

It's a practical setup and meant to be a workhorse, rather than a showpiece. Since everyone has different tastes in forends, they can swap it out for what they want to use. As for 22 mags... It would certainly require more than just a different barrel. However, the more hype I get from customers for it, the more I'll be enticed to make that my next big product. I do have more than a few things in mind for the near future, so you'll have to stay tuned!

-Mike Garrow